View Full Version : Bad paint job? (update, $70 for a temp fix)

Liquidrice
08-28-2002, 06:42 AM
I have been using my unit for the past three weeks half the time carrying it in my pocket without a case and with nothing else and half the time in a soft sleeve. Alot of the paint on the bottom sides of my xda has paint that's coming off. It's comes off pretty easily, I gave the paint job a little scratch with my nails and the paint comes off. Anyone else have this problem??

Jason Dunn
08-28-2002, 06:57 AM
Yup, seems to be a common issue. :cry:

Isaac
08-28-2002, 07:39 AM
Maybe the reason the MDA in DE now has rubber back? I hope to see how T-Mo handles this issue, gawd only knows HTC is used to early production issues...

Brian Johnson
08-28-2002, 03:35 PM
Jason- It seems to be a common issue?! How's your device holding up? This is the first time I've heard of this. As a prospective buyer (still waiting to see if HandheldCanada will be honouring their initial orders), I'd like to verify if this is indeed a concern and perhaps I should then cancel my order.

So far in my investigation from forums, I've only heard that the unit is being scraped slightly by the case. But that can be diverted by using a different case.

Obviously the housing is not metal, correct?
Anyone else have the paint flaking off (not caused by the case) or pictures to post? :?

Jason Dunn
08-28-2002, 03:44 PM
Yes, the housing is metal, but it's painted, and the paint seems to scratch fairly easily. But since there's nothing else on the market like this, I don't find it all that hard to sleep at night with a slightly scratched XDA. :-)

fk1team
08-28-2002, 05:27 PM
I've had my xda for about 5 weeks now - not had any problems with paint coming off on mine - I am however very careful how I handle it and when putting it in/taking it out of the case that it comes with..

BTW - many ppl have bitched about the case it comes with - I think it's OK - a protective screen would've ben nice but can't really fault it too much - fits nicely in front or back pocket of a pair of jeans..

vagelis
08-29-2002, 02:21 AM
Actually, the case is plastic 8O

fk1team
08-29-2002, 10:33 AM
yes - I know the case is plastic...??

Liquidrice
09-24-2002, 08:06 PM
Alright, it's been nearly 2 months now and my xda looks like its been used for 2 years. It looks worst than my 1 year old jornada. nearly all of the paint on the side has come off. Any ideas if they are fixing this problem. I really hate pulling it out to show friends and it looks all scratched and stuff.

mabmarc
09-26-2002, 02:13 PM
This may be a solution to your problem. 8O

http://www.razoronline.com/web/Pictures/T-Mobile/DSCN1709.JPG

http://www.razoronline.com/web/Pictures/T-Mobile/DSCN1712.JPG

http://www.razoronline.com/web/Pictures/T-Mobile/DSCN1675.JPG

http://www.razoronline.com/web/Pictures/T-Mobile/DSCN1725.JPG

Chronos
09-26-2002, 03:33 PM
The coating is flaking off from the sides of my unit. T-Mobile won't do anything about it since its only cosmetic. They suggested I exchange the unit at the CompUSA I purchased it at!

My first service call to T-Mobile was less than impressive. This is an obvious manufacturing issue. I am not happy, as this 20 day old device now looks worse than my 3 year old Nokia 5100. I've never owned a PDA which looks this crappy.

junior
09-26-2002, 05:56 PM
This may be a solution to your problem. 8O

How and where do you get these???????

mabmarc
09-26-2002, 06:16 PM
I took the Pics. The skins are available at:

http://pdajacket.com/products.asp?b=T%2DMobile

blascrw
09-26-2002, 07:07 PM
Can't seem to get that link to work...

Also are those dead units???

they look cracked and burned screens...

mabmarc
09-26-2002, 07:15 PM
The pictures above are all of the same unit. :wink: The screen is not cracked or burnt. You are seeing a reflection of a high tension wire and trees. If you are having trouble with the link above try going to the main site and clicking the "T-Mobile" category on the left side navigation menu.

www.pdajacket.com

Good Luck!

Jake1965
10-02-2002, 04:49 AM
I have had it about 2 weeks and it started within days., But hey. Nothings perfect. I'll upgrade in 24 months anyway.
:)

HughesShoppe
10-02-2002, 03:35 PM
mabmarc

I ordered my PDA Jackets last week (Friday) and haven't received it yet. Maybe I'll receive em on Friday.

BTW: How do these things last? And do you know if PDA Jackets will come in various styles like some face plates?

Liquidrice
10-10-2002, 08:52 PM
-----UPDATE----------
I am pretty mad now. I just talked to T·Mobie and told them about the stripping paint. I've had the PPC phone for 3 months now and TM to find a fix, they told me, ALL the PPC phones have a paint problem and that if they send me a new one it will have the same problem. PLUS I'll be charged $70 for the replacement. They said the paint is not covered under the warrenty. They said they don't make the phones and (not sure if this is true-->) Microsoft is the company behind the phones and they decided that the paint problem is not part of the warrenty. I still like my phone but this paint thing is really bugging me out. My phone looks pretty sh*tty.

It's pretty obvious that this is a defect now and they refuse to offer a fix. What do we do???

When the iPaq first came out and had the dust problem compaq quickly offered to take the unit and fix it. I don't see why who ever is behind the tmobile units not doing the same for a problem worst than the ipaq dust problem.

*Post edited by moderator for language*