View Full Version : This is depressing or what?

Wackyman
08-26-2002, 04:06 AM
Two nights ago when I was syncing my AvantGo channels w/ my cell phone my iPAQ crashed. OK, looked like just another crash but after I turned it back on and tried to resync again. The regular AvantGo home page that listed my channels as well as a "tool" button that takes me to another page where I could chose to sync using a modem were all gone. Instead, I got a warning page telling me that "AvantGo content was not found on your Pocket PC. Please sync your Pocket PC again. If this is unsuccessful, please go to AvantGo Connect by clicking here, click the "properties" button and check the "Refresh all content" checkbox and then sync...

So I did that and saw that even though my AvantGo program was able to connect to the sync.avantgo.com server, what it only did was "updating device configuration" and telling me that "Connection successful". No channels were downloaded. I even tried to "refresh all content" via ActiveSync on my desktop. Alasa, No success!

Is it possible that during the crash, some vital AvantGo file on my iPAQ was deleted? But I question the possibility since AvantGo is installed in ROM, not in RAM, right? I really hate to do a hard reset so can anyone who experienced the same problem or is familiar w/ the file architecture help me out w/ this depressing dilemma?

Thanks a lot.

juni
08-29-2002, 10:08 AM
You can download and reinstall avantgo from their pages. Maybe that would fix it?

Ravenswing
08-30-2002, 11:55 AM
Is it possible that during the crash, some vital AvantGo file on my iPAQ was deleted? But I question the possibility since AvantGo is installed in ROM, not in RAM, right? I really hate to do a hard reset so can anyone who experienced the same problem or is familiar w/ the file architecture help me out w/ this depressing dilemma?

AvantGo may be in ROM, but not all its files are.

You could try reinstalling, but deleting the server and reestablishing it might be a good first step.

Then report the bug to AvantGo, because a crash shouldn't result in a database so corrupt it's unusable! :?

JohnnyFlash
09-10-2002, 06:59 PM
saw a product called PocketBackup from Sprite Software...may be helpful in the future

ctmagnus
09-14-2002, 06:00 AM
saw a product called PocketBackup from Sprite Software...may be helpful in the future

Pocket Backup RULEZ!!!!

It has saved my behind so many times...

Coralie
10-17-2002, 09:36 AM
i've been to sprite software's site to see their software & i chose sprite clone. i've made a couple of images, but haven't yet (touch wood .. damn it! is there any wood around here??) had to deploy an image.

even after having read the info on their site, it's still unclear to me .. can anyone tell me the difference between sprite clone & pocket backup?

Sven Johannsen
10-17-2002, 03:24 PM
I think it is just what the names imply their intended use is. Backup is to make a backup of your PPC to mitigate catastropic failure, while Sprite Clone is intended for an enterprise to establish a reference PPC to clone and load to numerous PPCs for roll-out. I'm sure there are differences in the products based on that intended application.