View Full Version : Toshiba e550G review - by one of our very own!

Jason Dunn
08-24-2002, 10:25 PM
<a href="http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=25633">http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=25633</a><br /><br />If you're interested in reading the opinion of an end-user, <i>bslenter</i> has written an excellent review of his e550G - check it out!

MobiliT
08-24-2002, 11:41 PM
I just recently bought the e550G and have nothing but praise for it. The only reason I switched so soon from my e740 was that it broke and Toshiba was going to make me wait two weeks for the repair turnaround. That plus CompUSA bundled a free wireless card, which has decent utility software.

Everything the reviewer noted was right on. The screen is awesome of course. Using the stylus has never been better concerning the response of the screen and accuracy. I have yet to mistype a single word with the virtual keyboard appearing larger. And yes, you can read ebooks, web pages, etc. at a normal distance.

Many little annoyances seem to be fixed. Not only are there no extruding buttons ready to be accidentally poked, but, the ROM software has settings that actually disable the buttons from powering the unit on. There is an updated Home 2.0 version if anyone is interested.

Battery life can be manipulated with an option of running at 200mhz vs. 400mhz, or letting the PDA decide when you need the faster processing. There are more power and frontlight options, plus the previously mentioned software button lock allows for better power conservation.

Toshiba really built a nice quality model here.

jconsole
08-25-2002, 08:07 AM
is there expansion line a pcmcia card with battery ?

MobiliT
08-25-2002, 02:28 PM
Though I have yet to experiment, I neglected to mention that the e550G cradle has a USB port on the base to plug-in USB peripherals such as keyboards to use with the PDA. I believe this is similar to the Casio Cassiopeia E200 and optional Toshiba e740 VGA attachment functionality.

ThomasC22
08-25-2002, 05:53 PM
Well, a Yes and a No here...

I did go to see it in my local CompUSA and I have to say, as far as my eyes are concerned, I found the screen ugly (everything was too big). So, I'll probably stick with my e740 for now...

That being said, I do like that its an option and I do think that Toshiba is poised to take over the PPC market the way things are going. Their build quality is superb and they're offering variety (unlike Compaq who just keeps churning out iPaqs with slight differences).

Mark my words, variety is going to win the day here...

Boxster S
08-25-2002, 09:59 PM
Well, a Yes and a No here...

I did go to see it in my local CompUSA and I have to say, as far as my eyes are concerned, I found the screen ugly (everything was too big). So, I'll probably stick with my e740 for now...

That being said, I do like that its an option and I do think that Toshiba is poised to take over the PPC market the way things are going. Their build quality is superb and they're offering variety (unlike Compaq who just keeps churning out iPaqs with slight differences).

Mark my words, variety is going to win the day here...

I'd have to disagree. I went to CompUSA ready to buy an e740. Then I saw the 550g situated beside it. I held the two up together and the e740 looked dim and washed out compared to the huge, bright 550g screen.

That sealed the decision for me...so I came home and placed an online order for the 550g/802.11b/64MB Mem card combo :)

Jonathan1
08-26-2002, 06:16 PM
I wish I could say I was excited but several things put a damper on this device.

-4" screen but its still 320x240 res. ICK.

-Dual expansion but it lacks any kind of built in wireless options this is now a requirement for any future PDA purchase I get. I would prefer BlueTooth due to its low power requirements.

-Pocket PC 2002 but no Windows CE.NET or Pocket PC 2003. While I don't fault Toshiba on this one aspect, I do think its a major downer. At this point I, and everyone else, don't have a freaking clue as to what PPC 2003 will bring. I was hoping for great things with 2002 and was let down tremendously. Instead of an update we got a .25 revision. I'm not holding my breath for 2003. I expect more of MS's lack of interest in the OS. If nothing I expect that the OS WILL have a hard time fitting into ROM simply because of the Microsoft factor. Name me a single OS or product released by MS that hasn't grow in size. Consequently I can't see myself buying a new PPC only to, potentially run into the same problems iPaqers ran into when they upgraded to 2K2 on their 36xx's.

Right now I'm on a Jornada 568 with a PCMCIA card sleeve. I'm happy. There currently isn't a single thing on a new PPC that I can't do on my Jornada in some form. (With the possible exception of the PPC Phone Edition.) While I really want to get a new device I see most of the PPC's out there, including the new 550, as a tide me over til the next version of the OS shows up.

Boxster S
08-26-2002, 06:34 PM
I wish I could say I was excited but several things put a damper on this device.

-4" screen but its still 320x240 res. ICK.

-Dual expansion but it lacks any kind of built in wireless options this is now a requirement for any future PDA purchase I get. I would prefer BlueTooth due to its low power requirements.

-Pocket PC 2002 but no Windows CE.NET or Pocket PC 2003. While I don't fault Toshiba on this one aspect, I do think its a major downer. At this point I, and everyone else, don't have a freaking clue as to what PPC 2003 will bring. I was hoping for great things with 2002 and was let down tremendously. Instead of an update we got a .25 revision. I'm not holding my breath for 2003. I expect more of MS's lack of interest in the OS. If nothing I expect that the OS WILL have a hard time fitting into ROM simply because of the Microsoft factor. Name me a single OS or product released by MS that hasn't grow in size. Consequently I can't see myself buying a new PPC only to, potentially run into the same problems iPaqers ran into when they upgraded to 2K2 on their 36xx's.

Right now I'm on a Jornada 568 with a PCMCIA card sleeve. I'm happy. There currently isn't a single thing on a new PPC that I can't do on my Jornada in some form. (With the possible exception of the PPC Phone Edition.) While I really want to get a new device I see most of the PPC's out there, including the new 550, as a tide me over til the next version of the OS shows up.

The e550g is far superior to that crap that is Jornada

1) Anything is better than that crap they call a screen on the Jornada 567/568. Not only is it washed out, but there is a shadow in the top left corner.

As for the screen on the e550g...don't knock it til you've tried. A side by side comparison of the e550g and the Jornada left the Jornada looking rather flat IMHO.

2) Dust like crazy!! I went through FOUR 567's and they were all riddled with dust in a matter of days. Also the reason why after two months I ditched my FOURTH 567 on ebay.

3) Cheap paint. The paint is so damn thin. The paint scratches off faster and flakes off more than any electronic device I've ever owned.

4) Cheaply constructed. All four of my 567's flexed and creaked...especially around the lower half moon shaped area under the screen.

5) Rocker buttons on left side. On two of the 567's I had, the jog wheels were hardly functional at all and required Superman strength to press down and get the jog wheel to register a press.

6) CompactFlash Type - I...need I go any further??

7) There's nothing that the new PPC's offer than you can't do on your Jornada?? How about dual expansion slots without needing an extra sled? The PCMCIA sled is a BEAST!!!!!!!!!!!! That totally defeats the purpose of a portable device IMHO.

8 ) A stylus that continues to slip out after about two weeks usage.

Jonathan1
08-26-2002, 08:00 PM
:twisted: My aren't we touchy. God forbid someone trashes your precious PDA. Oh I'm sorry I wasn't trashing it. I was commenting on things I would like to see implemented in your holier then thou PDA. Do you have stock in Toshiba? No stock? Then you have no reason to get your diapers in a bunch. Oops could it be because someone isn't mature enough to accept a little constructive criticism. :roll:

Remember this is MY personal opinion. In MY PERSONAL OPINION I see this PDA as a MINOR upgrade from my Jornada. And has problems that would keep me from getting this device. You want the reasons. See above. This is a discussion board right? I am entitled to my opinions on the devices that are out there right? Dang and I though Dunkin and the Loox fanatics were bad about criticism.

As a rebuttal to your cracks on the Jornada.

Crap screen? Huh. funny. I though it was a pretty nice screen. I've yet to find a single person who's seen my PDA say that its crap....
Truth be told I had 5 specs of dust when I bought my Jornada the day it came out. I retuned it and got a new one. Not a single spec since.
Have had no problems with the paint other then a scratch on the cover and that was after dropping it 3 feet onto cement,
Did you bother to read what I have on the Jornada? NO. I have a PCMCIA sleeve that has SD slot built in along with the extended batt (Thanks for bothering to read my post in total.)
No flexing. You may very well have gotten a "crap" Jornada as you so delicately put it but I have to be perfectly honest with you. I have yet to get a defect in it.
Yes the CF1 slot is somewhat of a let down but guess what. Lean close so you get this. I_DON'T_CARE_BECAUSE_I_DON'T_USE_CF2_CARDS! The only CF cards I have is a 256MB CF I card and a 802.11b WIFI CF I card. If I need anything more then that I'll use my PCMCIA sleeve for now.

Again I will say there is NOTHING on the Toshiba series or the Compaq series that I can't do on my Jornada. That is a fact! sure the screen may be smaller. Does it make it any less functional? Sure its not running an X-Scale. Is there any app that needs an x-scale? Sure it may be thinner. Mine is still quite pocketable. Same Amount of RAM, Same amount of ROM, same color depth, replaceable batts.

The Jornada may not suit you. Fine. I don't care because to each their own. You like the 310's 550's, 570's. Fine. They are nice devices. But, IMHO, a bit off the mark right now. I don't upgrade on a lark. Even if I have the cash I want to be dang sure I've getting my bang for the buck. AGAIN IMHO I do not believe that the 550 is worth me upgrading.

I would understand your attitude if I had come waltzing onto this thread and stated all Toshiba's suck! Jornada's rule! But I didn't did I? Grow up. :x

Steven Cedrone
08-26-2002, 08:17 PM
O.K. guys, let's dial it down a notch. We don't need another "my Pocket PC is better then your Pocket PC" shootin' war...

Steven Cedrone
Community Moderator

Boxster S
08-26-2002, 08:29 PM
Me, immature?? Not once did I crack on you or make a personal comment about you. I attacked the DEVICE, not you personally. Big difference.

All I did was give my opinion of the flaws in the Jornada 56x series. YOU are the one getting loud and making HUGE bold words and going off the deep end.

You're the one that got defensive :D

As for not reading your post in total. I did read it. That's why I said that you can't get dual expansion slots WITHOUT a bulky PCMCIA sled.

Besides, calling the Jornada crap (which it is IMHO after going through FOUR of them), I don't see why you feel the need to go postal :)

Jonathan1
08-26-2002, 08:55 PM
Because the tone of the post very much felt like you were getting pissed at me simply because I stated my opinions on the 550. Again I have to say it is a nice system. Just not quite there. I didn't expect someone to come back at me with the Jornada is crap all over my comments. In hindsight I suppose those experiences you had with your Jornada would be enough to make you call it crap. I just want to say I didn't have such problems, and IMHO, I think it’s a good little device that has served me well for close to a year now.

A

Sorry if I got a bit heated in my response.

jdhill
08-26-2002, 08:56 PM
All right you two, cut it out !!!

As Steven said, crank it down a notch. The Pocket PC Thoughts community generally gets along and doesn't erupt into flames wars. We're generally an easy-going bunch here and from time to time get just plain silly.

Leave your attitudes at the door please. Thanks !!!

Jonathan1
08-26-2002, 08:58 PM
Huh? Cut what out? I though my 2nd response was tempered :?:

jdhill
08-26-2002, 09:02 PM
Huh? Cut what out? I though my 2nd response was tempered :?:
I started my reply before your second response was posted.

Thanks for cooling off !!!

Boxster S
08-26-2002, 09:05 PM

As Steven said, crank it down a notch. The Pocket PC Thoughts community generally gets along and doesn't erupt into flames wars. We're generally an easy-going bunch here and from time to time get just plain silly.

Like Johnathan said, what's the deal??? I think that we both have come to an understanding in our last posts...

To you Jonathan1, I didn't mean to sound so harsh, but after going through four 567's and having to spend hours on the phone with HP tech support and having to go through the hassle of packing up and shipping off numerous PDA's, I felt the 567 was just subpar.

jdhill
08-26-2002, 09:11 PM

Like Johnathan said, what's the deal??? I think that we both have come to an understanding in our last posts...
See my previous post. Cooler heads had already begun to prevail after I started to compose my post but before I actually posted it.

Thanks again guys !!!

ricktakagi
08-26-2002, 09:20 PM
I decided to sell my e740 and go with the 550. I love the screen and think it will be a better product for everyday use. I don't think I'll miss the built in wifi because I use BT with my phone and hardly ever used to the wifi anyway.

Rick T.

Jason Dunn
08-26-2002, 09:26 PM
Although this discussion was a good one, Boxster S and Jonathan1 can't seem to control themselves enough to have it continue. The thread is now locked - no one can post to it. I would encourage everyone here to learn to express their opinions without attacking another person OR their device. Pocket PCs are very personal devices, and we all have our own reasons for choosing a certain model. Insulting a certain model is also insulting the reasons of the person that chose it. It's a lot like saying that a certain brand of jeans suck - while they're right in front of you wearing that brand. :roll:

It's quite possible to express why YOU like YOUR device without comparing it to another device in a disparaging manner. :D

I for one happen to like my Jornada quite a bit, but I haven't seen an e550G yet either. :D