View Full Version : Synching via WiFi

Viper118
08-23-2002, 09:09 PM
How? I know it's possible on my Toshiba e740, but has anyone here synched over their wireless network who can tell me how to do it?

Thanks in advance!

Jason Dunn
08-23-2002, 09:18 PM
If it doesn't work right off the bat with your wireless card plugged in, you probably have a WINS issue - get Pocket Hosts from www.zimac.de and add your computer name and IP address of it into the field. Then sync! And it should work... :D

David McNamee
08-23-2002, 09:34 PM
I do it a couple of times a day.

Here are the basic steps:

1 - Set up an ActiveSync partnership with the desktop PC using the cradle/sync cable. You've probably already done this.

2 - On the Pocket PC, open ActiveSync and choose Options from the Tools menu. Make sure "Include PC when synchronizing remotely and connect to:" is checked and the name of your PC is selected.

3 - Disconnect from the cradle, turn on WiFi radio, and push Sync.

If this didn't work for you, then you probably have some network configuration to do. The number one problem I've seen is that the Pocket PC can't resolve the name of the desktop PC to its IP address. If you're using static IP's, then you can use a tool like Pocket Hosts to add your host's IP to the Pocket PC.

I'm still looking for a good solution for frequently changing, DHCP assigned addresses.

David McNamee
08-23-2002, 09:44 PM
get Pocket Hosts from www.zimac.de and add your computer name and IP address of it into the field.

What if you're using DHCP assigned addresses? Here's my scenario, maybe someone has an idea.

At my client's location, they have a world-class networking group and the WINS servers work very well. I have no problem syncing through the air.

At home, I've got my Linksys Wireless AP/Cable Modem router set up as my DHCP server. The PC that is partnered with my e740 can be pinged by any other PC in the house. It can't be pinged by the e740 and, of course, ActiveSync can't find it. Short of reserving a static IP for the PC, is there anything else I can try?