View Full Version : It's all Greek to me

Adam
08-22-2002, 06:00 PM
I'm just about to go to Greece for a week, and thought that this would be an ideal opportunity to test out one the several sources of language dictionaries out there. Unfortunately, there only seems to be one who does English/Greek dictionaries (RoadLingua). No problem they do plenty of others, if they pass this test, I'll probably register and use them in the future (I travel abroad quite a lot).

However, their version requires me to install Greek support. Now, it seems to me (from a look around) that most localisation solutions are just that, full localisation. Obviously, if I need a Greek/English dictionary, I'm going to have trouble operating an iPaq in Greek.

So I have two questions:

1) Does anyone know of a solution that will allow the RoadLingua dictionary to display Greek characters, but won't turn my device into a Greek macine?

or

2) Does anyone know of another PPC English/Greek dictionary?

There was one for WinCE 2 devices at Etaco(sp?), but they haven't brought out a PPC2002 one yet.

Just a point, I'm from the UK, so I'd prefer UK English dictionaries if possible - or I'll always be thinking that certain words aren't in the dictionary.

Actually, a some more questions - would any of the particular language dictionary suppliers out there come as recommended or not recommended? I've got Worldmate, does anyone recommend any other foreign travel apps?

TIA
Adam

David McNamee
08-22-2002, 07:15 PM
Go to http://www.penreader.com/. Their Pocket PC section has dictionaries and language extenders. I've never used their products, so I cannot vouch for them. But, since you're testing anyway... ;-)

Adam
08-23-2002, 10:34 AM
...thanks, I'll have a look and let you know.

Adam
08-23-2002, 01:39 PM
Okay, I've decided that it's a bit overkill for a 7 day holiday, for now. I'll leave it this time and look into a dictionary when I go somewhere else (I won't need localisation then). I'll stick with my dead tree version for this one. Hopefully, by the time I go to Greece again, someone will have brought out one that doesn't need hellenifiying my device. The RoadLingua one also doesn't seem to have pronunciation guides - very important :D

Thanks for the info. though. I've bookmarked the site for future reference.