View Full Version : XDA bug (Not connecting above 9600 baud)

jhenning
08-22-2002, 02:17 PM
T-Mobile is aware of this problem.

The XDA WILL NOT connect using GPRS above 9600 baud.
I just received my first T-Mobile bill and it had ZERO charges for data use. And $280 for over charges on minutes.

When I called T-Mobile (After 90 minutes on the phone) they explained that all the XDA's are connecting using a dialup connecting. They also explained there was a software issue on the device that will not let the it connect faster than 19,200 althought most of the connections are 9600.

GPRS is suppose to be 56k with a real connection between 40-50k.

PLEASE CALL T-MOBILE if you are also having these problem and lets get this device working using GPRS and 56k.

fk1team
08-22-2002, 03:16 PM
I can connect to O2 network at 19200 OK - i used up all my 4MB pf data within first cpl of days just fannying about on the internet....

however I too thought that GPRS would allow a faster connection than 19,200 - has anyone else got connected faster?

PS - i'm trying to email the webmaster to see if he will set upa dedicated xda forum - if everyone who has an xda does this it might happen sooner rather than later

PS - anyone know of any other good forums with xda posts?

Jason Dunn
08-22-2002, 04:34 PM
The fact that 19,200 is listed as your connection speed is a bug - when you open up the connection it resets it, but if you drop down the menu and select the speed then click ok, you will connect at the faster speed.

That's very interesting about T-Mobile billing you minutes vs. data - that hardly seems fair! :?

Brad Adrian
08-22-2002, 05:00 PM
That's very interesting about T-Mobile billing you minutes vs. data - that hardly seems fair! :?
I wonder if that could somehow accidentally happen if you only subscribed to a voice plan and not a data plan...

tmobileuser
08-22-2002, 07:55 PM
Hey fk1team
I called vstream about the baud issue, it truly doesn't make any difference you will connect at the highest speed no matter if you change it or not. Also I have noticed this site http://www.davesppcphone.com is quite good for your phone needs.

Good Luck
T-MobileUser
Mark

Jason Dunn
08-22-2002, 09:07 PM
...Also I have noticed this site ihttp://www.davesppcphone.com is quite good for your phone needs.

Good Luck
T-MobileUser
Mark

Hey "Mark", welcome to our site! I noticed that your posting IP address of 64.157.72.101 is in the same neighbourhood (dialup-64.157.72.101.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net) as the guy who runs that PPC Phone site. What a strange coincidence! :roll:

tmobileuser
08-22-2002, 09:25 PM
Huh???

fk1team
08-23-2002, 10:35 AM
tmobileuser - cheers

will call O2 in UK to see what they say re connection speeds..

kelv
09-02-2002, 01:27 PM
Hi

I've just returned from a week in Spain where I was very pleased/surprised at my XDA's performance.

Surprised. as the man at the O2 shop had assured me only 2 days before that there was no GPRS network in Spain so it wouldn't work at all unless I dialled on GSM and pleased because GPRS connection times and transfer speeds were much better than here in the UK.

I can't prove the transfer speed was better, this is entirely subjective but pages just seemed to appear much quicker.

I'd really like to think that O2's network will catch up with Moviestar sometime soon but I wont hold my breath! Sad really when you think a Spanish beach has a better network than the City of London.

Kelv.

Jamhellbound
11-13-2002, 03:04 PM
The T-Mobile Pocket PC phone edition does always default to a baud of 19,200 this is also true of the XDA, it is not a bug, it was designed this way and does not make any difference to the connection speed when using GPRS. If you are only connecting at 9,600bps and are being charged by the minute it sound like you are dialing up to your ISP and not connecting to the networks GPRS service.