View Full Version : No Palms at Starbucks!

disconnected
08-21-2002, 08:29 PM
I'd heard about this before, but today in Yahoo's technology news, there was an article about 802.11b access in Starbucks --

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&ncid=582&e=2&cid=582&u=/nm/20020821/wr_nm/tech_starbucks_dc_2

It's not free, of course, but it said it would work with standard web browsers on both laptops and Pocket PCs (the FAQ said that Palm's were excluded because of having a non-standard browser).

Not that I have anything against Palms, but it's nice to see Pocket PC getting top billing once in a while. :)

Has anyone tried this? I live in Kansas City, which is in the middle of the non-covered area, at least for now.

Edit: They list several plans, up to 49.99 per month for unlimited national access, which seems a little extreme, unless you live at Starbucks or Airport lounges, but there is a pay-as-you-go plan that's 2.99 for 15 minutes (I think that has to be all 15 minutes at one time), that might be handy for occasional use.

Jeff Rutledge
08-21-2002, 08:41 PM
That is interesting. I would be curious to know how much they would charge for something like this. I wouldn't imagine it could be much as I believe many would see this as a "value-added" feature, not a need.

Jimmy Dodd
08-21-2002, 09:41 PM
Apparently you have to have an account with T-Mobile, and you have to load some software that allows you to sign in to their network. I think this is the wrong way to go with this whole thing. If Starbucks wants to use the wireless access as a draw to lure in customers they would get better results just opening up a 802.11b access point, not trying to tie in with some proprietary carrier who charges a fee.

I'm not sure what all you get for your monthly fee with T-Mobile, but from what I've read it doesn't sound very appealing.

disconnected
08-21-2002, 10:19 PM
They specifically say that you do NOT need to load any software. You have to set up an account, but not a regular phone account, just an account to use the wireless service. You can set it up in advance, or when you first sign on to the system.

Viper118
08-22-2002, 12:53 AM
I'll be testing this out this week with the free trial. I'll let you guys know my results.

My guess is that you have to sign up with your id's mac address. Then they could track how much you access the service. Sounds gay to me though.

Jimmy Dodd
08-22-2002, 01:27 PM
They specifically say that you do NOT need to load any software. You have to set up an account, but not a regular phone account, just an account to use the wireless service. You can set it up in advance, or when you first sign on to the system.

Maybe I misunderstood, but there's a whole section on the site about HP's contribution of software that lets you hook up to the network. I'm looking forward to Viper118's first hand account.

...not that it'll do me any good since the service will probably never make it to my locale. :(

Ravenswing
08-22-2002, 02:13 PM
I got myself an account with T-Mobile (well, that's not who they were then, but I digress), so I could use it in Seattle on business. Seattle, of course, has a lot of Starbucks!

Never did actually use it, but it doesn't cost anything to keep the account going unless I actually use it.

Viper118
08-23-2002, 01:06 AM
Well I went to SBUX today and tried to access the net on my Toshiba e740. A cute little Starbucks pages popped up saying gives us money because we say so (basically).

Anyways... I'm boycotting after seeing these prices (attached)

Jimmy Dodd
08-23-2002, 05:39 PM
Thanks for the update Viper118. Wired had an online today that mentioned the "new" wirelesss access from Starbucks. It came to the same conclusion that I did: $50 to sit in their cafe and surf the web is ridiculous.

I still think that offering free access could be a good draw to get people into your establishment. It would have to be an establishment where the longer people stay the more money you make. Restaurants are out because they need fast turnover (eat, get out) to increase profits. People sitting around surfing the web, taking up tables isn't going to help them. Cafes which charge for refills (stay, drink more) have a better chance of making some business off of this.

Dave Conger
08-23-2002, 08:03 PM
[quote="Ravenswing"]...so I could use it in Seattle on business. Seattle, of course, has a lot of Starbucks!quote]

Yeah, you would think they would start this in Seattle!!!

How about some Wi-Fi action. They probably wouldn't have to charge nearly as much more that.

Viper118
08-23-2002, 09:07 PM
I agree with you, BwanaJim. I just can't justify spending more than my cable modem costs just to surf/check email at starbucks. It's insane.

acronym
08-27-2002, 09:32 PM
those prices from T-Mobile are the EXACT same prices they charge for gprs. Why not just get a mobile phone with bluetooth and use the gprs for the same exact price (and not have to go searching for starbucks everytime you want to send an email)

are we sure that is the pricing plan for starbucks use?