View Full Version : Microsoft is not bundling Outlook with the Pocket PCs

Julio
08-20-2002, 02:17 AM
Hello all,

At this forum topic on FirstLOOX,

Why Outlook/Microsoft User's Guide Not Bundled With Loox... (http://www.firstloox.org/Forum/viewtopic.php?p=3809#3809)

it turns out that Microsoft is not bundling Outlook XP with the Pocket LOOX. 8O

Also, the Tekguru review of the HP 928 shows that Outlook 2000 is bundled - not XP!

HP Jornada 928 (Phone Edition) and CF Camera (http://www.tekguru.co.uk/PPC_Reviews/Jornada928/index.htm)

So, is this a new Microsoft policy for all future Pocket PCs? If so, then given the price of Pocket PCs, if they do not bundle Outlook they really should give us a free alternative like Outlook Express to use instead. :x

Julio

Jason Dunn
08-20-2002, 04:09 PM
Wow...this could be very bad. Let me ask some MS people and find out what's really going on. Stay tuned.

Willmonwah
08-20-2002, 04:43 PM
If I didn't get a new version of Outlook w/ a new pocket pc, I'd have to seriously consider the actual price of buying one, probably along with a new version of Office? Activesync only sync's with Outlook right?

Microsoft probably thinks that most business users who purchase Pocket PC's already have access to Outlook.

The decision is understandable, but it doesn't give me a good feeling inside that MS isn't looking out for the good ol' consumers out there. I guess that's what Palm is for right? :|

William

Dave Beauvais
08-20-2002, 05:10 PM
I just looked in the box for my Toshiba e740 and the CD that comes with it includes: Microsoft Outlook 2002 (XP) Microsoft ActiveSync 3.5 Adobe Acrobat Reader for Pocket PC ATI Presentation PackA little Microsoft sticker on the CD sleeve also says, "PocketPC 2002 Premium w/ Outlook 2002." (No, there is no space between "Pocket" and "PC". :))

I never unsealed this CD since I have Office XP (with Outlook 2002) and had ActiveSync already installed from my Casio E-200.

--Dave

Julio
08-20-2002, 05:46 PM
I just looked in the box for my Toshiba e740 and the CD that comes with it includes:
Microsoft Outlook 2002 (XP)

I'm both glad to see that and curious at the same time. This raises more questions.... so now we have:
Toshiba e740 - Outlook 2002
HP 928 - Outlook 2000
Fujitsu-Siemens Pocket LOOX - no Outlook
Are there licensing games being played here? And who is playing them? Microsoft? or the OEMs? :?

Jason: Thanks for checking into this. Hopefully, we will soon have a straight answer from Microsoft and a piece of this puzzle solved....

Julio

RickP in AZ
08-20-2002, 07:19 PM
My Companion CD which came with my new 3975 (aka Mistress) had Outlook 2002/XP.

Maybet this was the alleged squabble between FSC and MS mentioned a few months ago?