View Full Version : Embedded Voice Notes to a WAV file?

sullivanpt
08-19-2002, 07:17 PM
So help me I just can't figure this out.

How do I export an embedded WAV file from inside a "Note" so I can play with it in another application?

I created a note as follows: (1) click new note, (2) enter some text, (3) press the tape tool, (3) press the record button and capture some voice.

Now how do I get it out?! I can tap the speaker Icon and play it. I can sync with Outlook 2002, open the note there, and play it. I can save it from outlook to a .MSG file, open it and play it. But I can't export it! Cut & Paste doesn't work. I'm stuck here!

Earlier I had a similar problem figuring out how to get a standard (non-emebedded) recording out of outlook. I solved this with the non-intuitive open up the Mobile device in Active Sync File Explorer, locate the WAV and copy it to my PC hard disk.

In my opinion, this *should* be easy. What am I missing?

Jason Dunn
08-20-2002, 04:18 PM
Open up the Pocket PC via ActiveSync (Explore), drag and drop the files from My Documents onto your computer desktop, and they should be in WAV format....I think. I figured this out once a long time ago, but I've since forgotten. ;-)

sullivanpt
08-20-2002, 06:41 PM
Copying the note using file explorer resulted in a PWI file being copied to my local hard disk, which I could open in MS Word, within which I could open my sound file into embedded Sound Recorder, from which I could copy the wave file to the clipboard, paste it into a non embedded copy of Sound Recorder, and finally save it to disk.

Woo hoo! it works! (But it wasn't easy -- so I'm still complaining :) ).

NetDragon
08-22-2002, 06:27 PM
Hey I have done this before, but it has been a while. IF I REMEMBER CORRECTLY, this is how I did it.

1. Copy the PWI without converting it through active sync to the desktop. Use the IR File x-fer or through the compact flash ro something, do not browse to it through "Mobile Device" or it will get converted.

2. You have something like "filename.pwi" on your desktop. Open it in wordpad or word. I am not sure wich. I think word. Like I said, I have not done this in a long time.

3. Ok you should be able to see the wav file embedded in the document. Grab the icon for it and drag it to the desktop. NOW you should have a "Scrap" file. First time I saw this I was like WTF?!

4. OK THEN, fire up good ole faithful, Sound Recorder. Drag the Scrap file to sound recorder and it should play. Then go to file, save as, and just save it as a wav file. I do not think you need to tell it to sample it at any frequency though.

That is it if I recall.

You should be able to record direct to WAV through the PPC though, without embedding it into a notes file.

MaestroXTreme
08-23-2002, 12:55 AM
You should be able to record direct to WAV through the PPC though, without embedding it into a notes file.

Yes. I do not have my PocketPC with me right now as I sent it in to be repaired, but the way I remember it, in PocketWord go to the options menu, and there should be options to set different record specifications. If you have a CF card, I think you could set it to record 44Hz Stereo PCM Wave files. Then just copy them over to the PC, no problem.

NetDragon
08-23-2002, 05:14 PM
Hmmm I know there is an option for "CD Quality" Wav files (44Khz 16bit Stereo) But I am not sure if CF can be written to fast enough to keep up the data rate. Only one way to find out I guess. BTW there is a free program out there that lets you record direct to MP3 Format?! I can not remember the name if it. A little help fome someone here?

pinky
08-26-2002, 05:51 PM
BTW there is a free program out there that lets you record direct to MP3 Format?! I can not remember the name if it. A little help fome someone here?

he program is NoteM. Excellent program. you can find it at http://www.geocities.com/zavorine/wince/mp3.htm

You have to install it on main memory. You can read a revision at http://articles.pocketnow.com/. There's also a thread with a lot of useful information about NoteM.