View Full Version : Know Of Any Good Chinese Restaurants In Utah?

Brad Adrian
08-17-2002, 08:24 PM
<a href="http://www.zagat.com/About/software_pocketpc.asp?VID=1&PID=1&LID=">http://www.zagat.com/About/software_pocketpc.asp?VID=1&PID=1&LID=</a><br /><br />If you do ANY amount of travel in the U.S., you've no doubt heard of Zagat and the Zagat Survey. For over 20 years, Zagat has been regarded as a leader in providing information and ratings on dining and nightlife spots throughout the U.S. Until now, the only way to have portable access to Zagat's data has been to purchase and carry a little paparback booklet around. Well, no more.<br /><br />Zagat has announced that Zagat To Go, a Pocket PC version of their directories, is now available for an introductory price of $24.95 (A 14-day demo can also be downloaded).<br /><br />Features of the software include:<br /><br />• Reliable Zagat content based on surveys of 100,000+ restaurant and nightlife go-ers just like you <br />• Unlimited access to 30+ locales with ONE subscription <br />• Nightlife listings for New York, Los Angeles, San Francisco and New Orleans <br />• Comprehensive coverage -- more than 18,000 restaurants and 1,600 bars, clubs and lounges <br />• Advanced Search and sort to help you quickly pinpoint options by neighborhood, cuisine, Zagat category ratings, and special features <br />• Quick access to Zagat Signature Lists – Most Popular, Best Buys, and more <br />• Power to add reservation time and address directly to your calendar as well as bookmark "Your Favorites" <br />• Free updates to current Zagat content for one year <br /><br />I think this is really great! I know of similar sources of information that can be accessed wirelessly, but I much prefer Zagat's approach of installing the data directly onto my device. That way, I don't need to worry about whether or not I'm actually able to get a wireless connection when I need the data. The other neat thing about this announcement is that, even though this is exactly the kind of application that developers would typically launch for Palm devices first, the Palm version will not be available until later this Fall.

ricksfiona
08-17-2002, 08:32 PM
This sounds good. But doesn't Vindigo already do this? Plus Vindigo is cheaper and has, services, shops, movies and museums in addition to food and bars.

jlc, just jlc
08-17-2002, 08:33 PM
While it my not be the exact same thing, Landwrae offers the ZagatSurvey for teh Palm (31 cities, ~100,00 listings). Its been around a while.

Brad Adrian
08-17-2002, 08:43 PM
While it my not be the exact same thing, Landwrae offers the ZagatSurvey for teh Palm (31 cities, ~100,00 listings). Its been around a while.

Hmm. I wonder why the Zagat site says the Palm version isn't available yet. Maybe Landware buys and produces the data for their own sale, but a version from Zagat isn't available yet.

jlp
08-17-2002, 08:57 PM
Until now, the only way to have portable access to Zagat's data has been to purchase and carry a little paparback booklet around. Well, no more.

If memory serves right, a Newton version was available a long way back close to 10 years ago: around 93-94.

pt
08-17-2002, 09:13 PM
This sounds good. But doesn't Vindigo already do this? Plus Vindigo is cheaper and has, services, shops, movies and museums in addition to food and bars.

i use both, i've found that zagat is better for resturants. vindigo is better for time sensitive information.

cheers,
pt

pt
08-17-2002, 09:14 PM

it's most likely not the exact same thing... zagat released the pocket pc version first. for some of us, that's a big deal.

cheers,
pt

st63z
08-18-2002, 03:22 AM
How about Portable Internet, which I'd bought a long time ago but never really used (last I checked they added GPS and other stuff)?

If I recall, they use listings from Frommer's, is that comparable to Zagat?

BTW, this thread title reminded me the last time I was in Phoenix, the Chinese restaurant I went to was using a wireless order taking system -- iPAQs with a D-Link 802.11b CF card (using custom software). I happened to also have my iPAQ with the Socket/Symbol card, too :) But they must've been using access control on the AP, I couldn't get on the Internet...

Brad Adrian
08-18-2002, 03:37 AM
...the last time I was in Phoenix, the Chinese restaurant I went to was using a wireless order taking system...

You see, THAT's something I could really use (not to get off-topic). Every time I take my family to a fast food place, they're all shouting their orders to me, and I can never remember who wanted the Super King Bacon Supreme without lettuce and who wanted the Colonel Chicken Extra Crispy Fingers. If I had a simple way to collect and collate their orders, I'd be in heaven.

Paul Martin
08-18-2002, 04:13 AM
If I had a simple way to collect and collate their orders, I'd be in heaven.

Well, you asked for simple: http://www.cebeans.com/lunchordersp.htm I was browsing through Vincent's CEBeans stuff the other day and ran across this. You could even beam it to the order takers...I'm sure they have a Pocket PC waiting to take your order. ;^)

disconnected
08-18-2002, 04:41 AM
I think the installation process could be improved; there are no instructions, and it wasn't until I got installation errors and went to the site FAQ that I found out that none of it can be installed on the storage card; it all has to go into main memory -- guides as well as the app.
Nothing executable installed to the desktop -- don't know if anything was supposed to. The full install includes all 30 cities, but you can choose which ones to install to the PPC. I don't know how you're supposed to add cities -- I ended up dragging cab files over to install, but I don't think that can be normal.

I used to love the Portable Internet Guides, before they changed to the GPS-type maps. You used to be able to find a hotel you were staying at, and then ask for all the Chinese restaurants nearby, or whatever. It would give you a whole list, sorted by distance (and reviews for a lot of them), and then provide step-by-step directions. I renewed my subscription before I realized they'd changed and lost this feature.

Don't Panic!
08-18-2002, 05:47 AM
If I had a simple way to collect and collate their orders, I'd be in heaven.

Well, you asked for simple: http://www.cebeans.com/lunchordersp.htm I was browsing through Vincent's CEBeans stuff the other day and ran across this. You could even beam it to the order takers...I'm sure they have a Pocket PC waiting to take your order. ;^)The man's a prophet! I couldn't get the frog defibrillator to work though. :lol: They all died. :twisted:

Don't panic!
Bobby

Stone
08-18-2002, 07:23 AM
Brad,

I know several great Chinese restaurants in Utah! :lol:

Look me up when you are in the area! 8)

masseym
08-19-2002, 09:07 AM
Just thought i would let you know...

There is a place called Sampan here in SLC that is ALWAYS rated the best Chinese...

Kinda thought it funny that you would chose Utah :) lol