View Full Version : Help! SD Memory in EM 500

henryb
08-15-2002, 07:56 PM
I've recently installed a 128 MB SD memory card in my em 500. Worked great for about two weeks, but yesterday it quit. The device doesn't seem to recognise the memory, and asks if I want to format it. If I say "yes" it gives me an error (code 21).

I had installed Casio's update 1.04 - I understand this is supposed to fix the SD card issue. I did a hard reset and am restoring from backup - hoping this will fix it.

I've heard of problems with SD memory in the em 500. Anyone have any experience or advice?

jdhill
08-17-2002, 04:16 AM
If the SD card is Sandisk, it may have compatibility problems. Sandisk works fine for a lot of people. However, it seems to have more than its share of compatibility problems.

Also, are you sure that the EM-500 supports SD? I thought that it only supported MMC.

henryb
08-19-2002, 03:32 PM
It IS a SanDisk! Casio says they support SD memory with a patch that I have installed.

Do you know of anything I can do to make this work? I too, have heard of the incompatibility issues, but I've also heard success stories. At this point, I'm ready to return it. I'd rather not - I liked having the storage space (while it lasted)!

jdhill
08-19-2002, 05:07 PM
If it is Sandisk compatibility problems, your only choice is to return it for a different brand. I tried two different Sandisk 64 MB SD cards in two different Casio E-200 Pocket PCs. Both Sandisk cards failed in the same way in both Pocket PCs. I ended up returning both Sandisk SD cards. I don't buy Sandisk SD cards any more. While I pay more, I have had excellent results with Panasonic SD cards.

colinkhalid
01-13-2003, 05:37 PM
Iam using a 128 SD sandisk card in my EM500. I have ben using it for about 2 months without any problems apart from one day a few days ago when I switched on the EM500 the card seemed not to be found. However after a reset it reapeared and has been working ok since then. I play music from it without problems and have load of aps installed to it.

henryb
02-24-2003, 06:13 PM
I returned the Sandisk and got one made by Simpletech. Has been working fine for a few months now! :D I too, have experienced times that the card was not recognised temporairly, but a reboot or reinsert of the card cured it.

Sven Johannsen
03-26-2003, 03:53 PM
There are 128M MMC cards about, for similar prices to the SD. Since the EM500 is natively MMC, no patch required, maybe that would work better.

CTSLICK
03-26-2003, 05:47 PM
I have had two occasions on my 128Mb Sandisk where I deleted a large number (about 90 Mb) of files but the SD card refused to show the memory as available. On both occasions I did the delete while the SD card was in my SanDisk Cruzer. FlashFormat fixed it both time. I don't delete files via the Cruzer anymore and I have not had any further problems.