View Full Version : Cable Modem Recommendations?

ScottG
08-14-2002, 06:50 PM
Can anybody recommend whether to rent or own a cable modem? Comcast in Maryland wants to charge me $5/month to rent one.

If you recommend owning, what models are best and most affordable? I don't anticipate setting up a website; I just plan to surf the Internet and connect to my work computer from home. I do have an Ethernet card.

Thanks!

Dave Conger
08-14-2002, 07:58 PM
I too am considering buying instead of renting. I want to go with the Linksys but it is three times the price of something like the one always advertised from Circuit City. Anyone had experience with these?

Brad Adrian
08-14-2002, 10:30 PM
I've been using a Motorola Surfboard for over a year now and have had no trouble whatsoever. In another few months, I'll be at the breakeven point between what I paid and what I've saved.

Tom Eichers
08-15-2002, 05:23 PM
I am using the Surfboard myself for about 1.5 years now, without a problem. The Linksys one, however does look nice. Which one does Comcast recomend, you don;t want to get one they donot support.

Viper118
08-25-2002, 06:12 AM
I just bought one. I've been with the same provider for 3 years, and it's more than paid for itself.

Sheynk
11-01-2002, 04:21 AM
I HOPE I AM NOT TOO LATE PLEASE LISTEN

BUY BUY BUY BUY BUY....

The reason you might ask? Well a in a year of adding "lease" price to your regular cable modem fee, the provider not only pays of the modem but starts making progit off of it.

Another thing, the modems that companies give out for lease suck. I am sorry, but they do

Do yourself a favor, get yourself a lynksys or dlink or toshiba cable modem (and eithernet card if you need it) and enjoy the full potencial of your line