View Full Version : Ignore_my_docs - very frustrating

Ed Hansberry
08-14-2002, 04:00 PM
Has anyone noticed an "ignore_my_docs" zero byte file on their storage card or ROM file store? I think this was done in the Pocket PC 2002 OS because people had trouble finding data on their storage card unless they had specifically created a \My Documents\ folder.<br /><br />So, the Pocket PC 2002 now looks at the storage card when you insert it. If \My Documents\ doesn't exist, it puts a hidden file called "ignore_my_docs" on the card. It also has done this to the HP Safe Store or iPAQ File Store. So, what does it do? Well, Pocket PC 2002 apps see this hidden file and look at the root of the storage card for everything. This can be very annoying if you have a large card with hundreds of files on it in other subfolders. For example, my storage cards always look like this:<br /><br />\Music\<br />\My Documents\<br />\app1\<br />\app2\<br /><br />Don't get me started on apps being installed in the root versus under a \Program Files\ folder. That is another rant. Ok, if ignore_my_docs exists, apps like Excel and Word will scan the <b><i>entire</i></b> card looking for their files. Prepare to wait if it is a 1GB microdrive that is full. The solution is to create \My Documents\ on the card and delete the hidden ignore_my_docs file. To delete it, either dock your device and use Explorer on the desktop, assuming it is configured to see hidden files, or tap-and-hold in File Explorer on your Pocket PC in the white area below a file listing and select "View All Files." The beauty of this is that Windows Media Player on the Pocket PC 2002 doesn't require music to be in \My Documents\ any longer as it did under the Pocket PC 2000 OS, so all of your music is still readily available.<br /><br /><b>Edit:</b> The above also applies to Pocket PC 2003 and 2003 SE devices as well as <i>all</i> ROM file stores on any device that allows you to store data there.

Janak Parekh
08-14-2002, 04:35 PM
Of course, all this stems from MS's stupid "hide the directory structure while you're in our Pocket apps" behavior. I personally hate the lack of nested folders. We are buying a PPC, not a Palm! :)

Fortunately, I use my MD for mostly MP3's, so I don't notice a slowdown with the ignore_my_docs bit.

--bdj

JMountford
08-14-2002, 04:39 PM
Maybe I am an idiot (though I know I am not), but Excel and Word will only go so many folders deep in a Documents folder to find files. I am an organization freak so I use folders in subfolders in subfolders to keep things neet, but the Pocket Apps from MS only look one folder deep unless I am missing something. I have to open my filesfrom Pocket File Explorer.
My folders look like this.

My Documents/Documents/Word/
My Documents/Documents/Excel/
My Documents/Documents/Text/
My Documents/Documents/Webs/
My Documents/My Music/'album name here'/

Ed Hansberry
08-14-2002, 04:45 PM
Maybe I am an idiot (though I know I am not), but Excel and Word will only go so many folders deep in a Documents folder to find files. I am an organization freak so I use folders in subfolders in subfolders to keep things neet, but the Pocket Apps from MS only look one folder deep unless I am missing something.
Another major frustration. WMP can use folders many levels deep, but you are right, built in and most other apps can only "see" one level deep. Major pain. :evil:

T-Will
08-14-2002, 07:30 PM
Hopefully PPC.net will allow nested folders....is there any word at all on what the PPC.net interface will be like?

jlp
08-14-2002, 07:33 PM
Another great example of a problem wrongly solutioned: instead of automatically creating an ignore_my_docs file why the OS couldn't automatically create a \My Documents\ folder in the first place when you insert a new storage card ?!

T-Will
08-14-2002, 10:51 PM
I think it was in case people had files in some other directory, that ignore_my_docs file would tell the OS to search the other folders for files. Or am I totally off?

Ed Hansberry
08-14-2002, 10:54 PM
I think it was in case people had files in some other directory, that ignore_my_docs file would tell the OS to search the other folders for files. Or am I totally off?
It ignores the normal behavior of My Docs, which essentially acts as the root for most apps. It shows you what is in ALL folders. If you have a storage card with 10-15 apps installed on it plus some music folders, coupled with whatever you have in My Documents in main RAM, the ignore_my_docs makes for an unwieldy folder menu in apps and very long search times on big storage cards with lots of files.

JonnoB
08-14-2002, 11:21 PM
If I want the OS to look in the root and 'My Documents' will the ignor file flag it or is it a case of either/or? I would try myself, but I left my storage cards for my 568 at home :?

Pony99CA
08-15-2002, 05:20 AM
Another great example of a problem wrongly solutioned....

"Solutioned"? What happened to "solved"? You wouldn't be a manager by any chance, would you? :lol:

Sorry, making up words for existing words is a pet peeve of mine. We now return to our regularly scheduled topic.

Steve

Pony99CA
08-15-2002, 05:43 AM
I bought a 128 MB SD card for my iPAQ 3870 (thanks to Pocket PC Thoughts; I used the affiliate link, too, so hopefully Jason got some money). After it arrived, I wanted to free up some space on my CF card by moving my Pocket Streets maps from the CF card to the SD card. I kept my maps in \My Documents\Maps on the CF card, and wanted to store them in a similar structure on my SD card. However, when I created \My Documents on the SD card and cut-and-pasted the Maps folder there, Pocket Streets didn't show those maps. I was forced to copy the maps back to the CF card, and blamed Pocket Streets for the problem.

After reading this thread, I checked my SD card, and guess what file was on it? After I deleted ignore_my_docs on the SD card, I copied the maps back to \My Documents\Maps and Pocket Streets found them with no problem. Now my CF card has more room for MP3s. :-)

I guess I now owe Ed a beer.... :werenotworthy:

Steve

xilverbell
08-18-2002, 08:31 AM
Hi guys

I have been using the Toshiba 2G for my ipaq almost a year and have not encountered any problem until two days ago. I do not know how it happened but I just found out that my ALL my files in my storage card did not appear in the explorer in the ipaq. I tried the explorer on my desktop pc but also found NOTHING. I then used the 'view all' in the ipaq and there is this file 'ignore_my_docs'. I tried to delete it, soft re-set and went back only to find the file is still there.

I did a search on yahoo and found that it is a bug by MS or something. But unable to find the solution to get back to my files. My storage card still show it has the files in the memory status but I simply loss as to how to get them back to show in my ipaq explorer or desktop explorer. My 2G contains most of my MP3s, excel and word docs, MTVs and so on.. I have my programs all in my SD card. So I am still able to run my programs. However I can no longer access my documents in the storage card. I also found this 'ignore_my_docs' file in the SD card and flash memory. However, my SD card is still working fine and flash memory has nothing inside anyway. Itz my 2G that I am worried about now.

My storage card shows it has 1.6G used up. But NOTHING shows in the explorer except the 'ignore_my_docs'. Wat can I do to have them back in view? Please help......

Thanks for reading
xilver

Ed Hansberry
08-18-2002, 03:59 PM
I did a search on yahoo and found that it is a bug by MS or something.
It isn't a bug. Create a My Documents folder then delete the ignore_my_docs file.

If you still cannot see anything, then there is a problem with your card that has nothing to do with this file. In fact, if all of your data is missing, this is why the PPC put ignore_my_docs on it - it didn't see a My Docs folder.

xilverbell
08-22-2002, 04:08 PM
Thanks Ed for your reply..

I am going to bring my card to the service centre fot them to take a look then. Although the memory is still there, I am really worried that they may not be able to get them out again.... sigh...

Only have my self to blame for relying too much on my ipaq and storage card that I have not done any backup for a long while.

So, for those reading this, please remember to BACKUP.... You will kick yourself silly, like me, if you dont and **** happens...

Thanks again
cheers

xilverbell

creep
08-27-2003, 04:32 AM
I have the same problem as xilverbell except that I cannot view my files in the ipaq file store folder... it all starts when i copied some *.pdf files from my desktop PC to my file store folder on the PDA. I get an error message that my memory on the device is full. After this I could not view my files in the file store folder anymore. I just have this zero byte file "ignore_my_docs" and the file explorer says that the file store is 93% full. I don't know what to do!!

If anybody has an idea please post it

thx

Prevost
08-28-2003, 03:38 AM
Maybe I am an idiot (though I know I am not), but Excel and Word will only go so many folders deep in a Documents folder to find files. I am an organization freak so I use folders in subfolders in subfolders to keep things neet, but the Pocket Apps from MS only look one folder deep unless I am missing something.
Another major frustration. WMP can use folders many levels deep, but you are right, built in and most other apps can only "see" one level deep. Major pain. :evil: :frusty: :pukeface2: If this is so, then where is the "real file structure" advantage PocketPC supposedly has over Palm?

Perhaps I will better stay using my blueprints in the field and my Palm in my pocket until Microsoft brings out an OS that really lives up to what I expect from a PC into my pocket.

Janak Parekh
08-28-2003, 03:52 AM
If this is so, then where is the "real file structure" advantage PocketPC supposedly has over Palm?
It's still there. Pocket PCs come built-in with a File Explorer that lets you move and manipulate files to your heart's content. You can usually work around the limited browsing of programs by using the File Explorer, as well.

Perhaps I will better stay using my blueprints in the field and my Palm in my pocket until Microsoft brings out an OS that really lives up to what I expect from a PC into my pocket.
You really need to try a Pocket PC before saying it doesn't meet your expectations. ;) (I know you've had trouble finding one, though... :()

--janak

Prevost
08-28-2003, 04:12 AM
If this is so, then where is the "real file structure" advantage PocketPC supposedly has over Palm?
It's still there. Pocket PCs come built-in with a File Explorer that lets you move and manipulate files to your heart's content. You can usually work around the limited browsing of programs by using the File Explorer, as well.
Well, as far as once you tap on the file you want to open and this action launches the due application (like on Windows), I'll say it's OK.
You really need to try a Pocket PC before saying it doesn't meet your expectations. (I know you've had trouble finding one, though... )Hopefully, I'll find 2210s in Europe next week to play with them and make a decision.

Would you say it's a good idea to buy an iPAQ in Europe to use it this side? Here, we have 110V electrical service, while it is 220V there.

Janak Parekh
08-28-2003, 04:26 AM
Would you say it's a good idea to buy an iPAQ in Europe to use it this side? Here, we have 110V electrical service, while it is 220V there.
I believe all the iPAQ chargers are dual-mode. The only two issues are the plug (you'll have to get a converter), and technical support (I have no clue on this one; that is, how localized their tech supp is).

--janak

maximus
08-28-2003, 04:59 AM

You know, I had a similar thinking with you a year ago. Back then, when I looked at a PPC, I told myself .. Duh, small screen, no color. (Actually I was looking at a palm device back then - I admit)

But a year later, I am so hooked by my axim. I will not have a comfortable day without the axim. I agree with Janak's suggestion. You definitely should get a PPC before deciding about its usefulness.

It is a device with so many interesting functions. :D

Prevost
08-29-2003, 09:25 PM
I believe all the iPAQ chargers are dual-mode. The only two issues are the plug (you'll have to get a converter), and technical support (I have no clue on this one; that is, how localized their tech supp is).

--janakHere in Panama, to reach tech support on anything is as easy as to make a rocket fly backwards :evil: so it won't be an "issue" in certain sense.

Lex
01-04-2005, 04:51 AM
I realize this is an old thread but I've just discovered this issue. If I delete the ignore_my_docs file from an SD card and create a My Documents folder on the card, should everything on the card go inside that folder?

Janak Parekh
01-04-2005, 05:50 AM
I realize this is an old thread but I've just discovered this issue. If I delete the ignore_my_docs file from an SD card and create a My Documents folder on the card, should everything on the card go inside that folder?
You don't have to. By deleting the file, though, programs with file browsers will only show files inside My Documents.

--janak

Ed Hansberry
01-04-2005, 01:34 PM
You should create My Documents first. If you delete "ignore_my_docs" the system might recreate it before you create "My Documents."

And yes, all data should go there, otherwise 99% of apps won't see it when you try to open files, just like it wouldn't see an excel file in \temp\data.xls. Of course, you could still open a file outside of My Docs by clicking on it in File Manager.

ethancaine
02-15-2005, 03:12 PM
I just discovered this thread as well...

My question is if creating the My Documents folder will automatically remap the CF/ SD contents to the My Docs folder... i.e. When I open My Docs from my Today Screen shortcut, will it show the contents of my CF and SD cards as if they were part of the My Docs folder?

zilla31
03-08-2005, 07:44 PM
there is also an ignore_my_docs file in the ipaq file store - ok to delete that one too (i have a "My Documents" folder both internally and on my SC)

Ed Hansberry
03-08-2005, 09:00 PM
there is also an ignore_my_docs file in the ipaq file store - ok to delete that one too (i have a "My Documents" folder both internally and on my SC)
Yes. Your Pocket PC will put an "ignore_my_docs" on any "drive" it can get its hands on that doesn't already have "My Documents" on it. I suspect if you deleted \My Documents\ from RAM, it would put one there too. 8O

Whack 'em all.

maximus
03-10-2005, 02:43 AM
Perhaps we can make this thread as sticky or something.

This has been a HUGE help for me several months ago, when I got my hand on my first 1G SD card and wondering what the hell happened inside my PPC everytime I launched notes/excel/word =)

Kudos to Ed for posting this.

Elite_Tux487
03-15-2005, 04:30 PM
Every so often the ignore_my_docs file randomly pops up on my storage card...and it becomes the only file on my storage card....Where the heck did all of my other files go?? 8O I look at the status of the card and it still shows that the same ammount of space is still being tooken up but all the files are non-existent? Any one have any ideas?

CESkins
03-28-2005, 06:13 AM
Every so often the ignore_my_docs file randomly pops up on my storage card...and it becomes the only file on my storage card....Where the heck did all of my other files go?? 8O I look at the status of the card and it still shows that the same ammount of space is still being tooken up but all the files are non-existent? Any one have any ideas?

Sounds like you have a defective card. :(

ethancaine
03-28-2005, 11:34 AM

Sounds like you have a defective card. :(

Or a defective file management system... Oh, wait, we already knew that. Sorry. :razz:

sistoviejo
01-18-2007, 06:53 PM
For everyone who has lost their files on their memory cards.
I had the same problem and recovered all my data using the software Getdataback.
You are very likely to recover your stuff this way.
Cheers :)