View Full Version : xda cases

Liquidrice
08-13-2002, 05:37 AM
Hi all

I found this semi cool case for my xda today. just thought I'd share it with you guys. It's made by op/tech (www.optechusa.com). I found it at a photo supplies store in ny (Adorama, 42 w 18th street). It doesn't fit too well but it's better then nothing. (I really hate the included case) Perhaps I can email them the fitting problem and they'll custom one for the xda, with a cut out for the headphone jack.. (I'll update as I get intouch with them.)

The xda one has a belt clip. the image on the right is what it looks with out the belt clip, i don't really use the belt clip, i just like to have it in my pocket. the title of the case is "Phone/Radio & Euro Phone"

I brought a case for my Jornada a while ago that fits perfectly. I also included an image of the case for my jornada. It's really good, it's the best protection I can find for my ppc.

The material is neoprene, it's a very soft padding material. The price was $11.95. The price for the jornada was $13.95 i think.

Anyone else find good subsitute cases for the xda???

Jason Dunn
08-13-2002, 04:02 PM
I know that several of the Pocket PC case companies are working on them - you should see something in 30 to 90 days...

jimsparkman
08-18-2002, 10:39 PM
Well, some of you had said the case that comes with the T-Mobile would eventually scratch the unit (because of the wrap-around metal for the magnetic closure) - and you were right. Mine's not bad, but when I saw it happening, I stopped using the case. I ordered the E&B Case, but I've also found another option I like a lot. It's the Case Logic PLT10 PDA Slip Case:

http://www.casedirect.com/cgi-bin/sgsh0101.exe?SKW=PROD,K101102&FNM=02&UID=2002081815163504

and the T-Mobile fits perfectly. The case would even expand to accommodate the external battery when attached (if it ever becomes available). Check it out, if you like...

- Jim

Mr. Anonymous
08-19-2002, 03:48 AM
I took some clear packing tape, cut little strips, and placed it over the metal surfaces on the inside of the case that comes with the T-Mobile phone. It smoothes over the metal edges so my new toy doesn't get scratched.

Of course, that was before I carried the included case for a couple of days and developed a deep dislike for it. That side velcro patch makes it feel so bulky! At the moment, I'm using the slipcase that came with my iPaq 3560. It fits the T-Mobile quite well, and still feels slim in my front jeans pocket.

sullivanpt
08-19-2002, 04:53 AM
I was afraid to share my frankenstein creation with the respected members of the Thoughts commnity. But I'm encouraged by the words "duct-tape" in the previous post. :D Besides, the HTML generated by the Geocities' web wizard :twisted: is far and away more ugly than the actual product I'm showing off.

So here it is:

http://www.geocities.com/patricktrentsullivan/xdaCover.html

I made a hard screen cover for my XDA out of junk I had about the house, a broken CD jewel case, a rubber band, and some staples! I'm no craftsman (I'm a software guy by trade), but I'm quite proud the result. The case adds virtually no bulk to the XDA; yet it does an excellent job of protecting the screen from both scratches and accidental taps.

Liquidrice
08-19-2002, 06:10 PM
Has anyone noticed that the paint job comes off really easily. Alot of the edges on the bottom of the unit has paint that's coming off. The rest of it comes off really easily, even just with light touch of my nails. I use it a few times a week without any case in my pocket (with nothing else in it) and the paint is coming off. I've only had it for 2 weeks.

terrynfung
09-22-2002, 07:11 AM
It definitely doesn't give the taiwanes manufacturer kudos. Mine has the paint wearing off under the metal pieces. I only open and shut the thing. I don't even rub against it. I am not using the stupid case anymore. I am thinking of getting the executive one once it's out.

Terry

profe
09-24-2002, 03:13 AM
Are you referring to a case or to a newer version of the PDA unit itself?

junior
09-24-2002, 01:28 PM
I thought of this one while shopping at Marc's. If you go to Marc's or something where they sell the standard eye glasses you will see some accessories arround on that stand as well. One of which is a small packet of 10 to 12 cushions that stick on the nose bridge of the glasses. The stickers are big enough to stick on the bottom of the metal plate on the Pocket Pc phone cover that came with the phone. I have started to use that and I have no more paint peeling off.

Here is a link to Walgreen where you can also buy it and it is cheap.

http://www.walgreens.com/store/product.jhtml?PRODID=17588&CATID=100219

I hope this helps all of you. Awaiting a better solution though for a cool cover or something.

- Junior.

Isaac
09-24-2002, 04:42 PM
junior,

You, my man, are brilliant!!! I was looking for something I could hack up, reconfigure, or MacGuyver, and I never thought about those little things. I am going to Walgreens in a couple of minutes...

junior
09-24-2002, 05:10 PM
junior,

You, my man, are brilliant!!! I was looking for something I could hack up, reconfigure, or MacGuyver, and I never thought about those little things. I am going to Walgreens in a couple of minutes...

Sure Isaac, not a problem. Hey have you heard about the Fonix Voice Dialing Software? How do you get to beta test that.

Chronos
09-24-2002, 06:50 PM
Isaac,

I posted just posted a message thread at Brighthand.com that lists how to sign up for the beta: http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3656

I'm waiting for handheldplanet.net to release their XDA cases, and George Mosqueira may be working on a couple of cases too!

yawanag
10-10-2002, 04:55 PM
I just requested an exchange for my T-Mobile. I thought $549 (even with a rebate) is a bit much to pay for a unit that scratches while using it. I've read two reasons for the scratching or paint peeling. One: the USB cradle when you sync it and Two: the metal clips on the case.

With mine, I am more inclined to think it's syncing it. The plastic ridges inside seem to be doing it. Anyone else feel the same about it?