View Full Version : Smartphone 2002, dead on arrival?

ThomasC22
08-11-2002, 06:21 PM
So, I'm a SprintPCS customer and I'm a gadget freak so as you might imagine, I'm about to buy a new Cell. Phone. :)

I've been looking at the Sanyo SCP 4900 and I have to tell you, it seems to have everything I really wanted from the Smartphone 2002 platform (ok, it doesn't have the messaging, but I already HAVE a PocketPC).

So, now I'm thinking, with Microsoft STILL a couple months (if not more) away from release of their first Smartphone and with these other companies already working on their next generation products, what chance does MS really have?

Tom

Oh, and one more thing, not that I'm a big Java fan but it should be mentioned the Sanyo supports J2ME so someone could easily create a messaging solution for it.

ARW
08-13-2002, 06:24 PM
I'm eagerly awaiting a smartphone too, though I don't think the Sanyo SCP 4900 meets my criteria. What I have my eye on is the new Kyocera 7135. I know it's Palm based, but it is real and it will be available on Verizon, which is a must.

If msft could manage to persuade a CDMA manufacturer to produce a SP2K2 I'd be all over it, but since they can't even get a GSM out the door I'll probably end up having to wait for a generation II of III.

Thinkingmandavid
08-17-2002, 08:34 AM
How true, and I think it is funny how you worded it, "microsoft cant even get a gsm out the door:)
It would be nice if they would get one out the door and it be trouble free of bugs as well. Seems the windows OS always has something wrong with it, so if they can put out a smart phone worthy of the cause that would be awesome.

ThomasC22
08-17-2002, 04:38 PM
I'm eagerly awaiting a smartphone too, though I don't think the Sanyo SCP 4900 meets my criteria. What I have my eye on is the new Kyocera 7135. I know it's Palm based, but it is real and it will be available on Verizon, which is a must.

If msft could manage to persuade a CDMA manufacturer to produce a SP2K2 I'd be all over it, but since they can't even get a GSM out the door I'll probably end up having to wait for a generation II of III.

Well, I'm curious as to what you think now that Samsung will be making a SP2K2...

For me, I'm not sure its the same thing. I was one who was in love with the Smartphone (aka Stinger) concept when I first heard it, but now I'm looking at it and saying "AND I'm going to need a separate PDA?!?!?"

I mean, think about it, to get the internet on a device that has decent text recognition (a.k.a. your PDA) your going to need the smartphone, a bluetooth enabled PDA, and a bluetooth SD card. Lots of money when the Kyocera offers that out of the box (and can play music files unlike most Palms). Not good at all.

As for the Sanyo, one thing has occured to me since I made my original post and that is, the Sanyo, unless I'm missing something, does not have a full browser (only WAP) and that might kill it for me.

But, who knows at this point...

ARW
08-19-2002, 05:48 AM
Surprise surprise! Caught me off guard for sure. Let's just hope it can pass scrutiny at Verizon. I guess what I want most is a phone with all my Outlook data in it. Assuming Smartphone 2002 isn't too buggy I think it will meet my needs. Of course I'll still have my PPC, for times when I need to view/edit Word and Excel and do more in the way of text entry, with my ThinkOutside keyboard.

For me though I don't always want to carry the PPC and the phone and so the PPC stays home, with all my contact and calendar info. I'll just have to wait and see what really hits the market later this year.

Bottom line is that everybody is going to have different needs and desires and no one device is going to please even the majority.