View Full Version : Data Backup and SD problems

Dave Beauvais
08-09-2002, 09:28 PM
I just tried the e740's built-in Data Backup program to backup my e740 to a SanDisk 256 SD card. It got 99% done, paused for about fifteen seconds, then popped up the following error message -- copied exactly, I might add:Warning! Storage Card had been removed. Databackup was terminated. The process was fail.I also tried Panasonic 16 MB and Lexar 64 MB SD cards with the same error, so I don't believe this is related to the alleged problems with SanDisk cards.

Unfortunately, the only CF cards I have are a modem and Socket wired and wireless LAN cards, so I can't see if the same error occurs with CF flash cards. Has anyone else had a similar experience backing up to SD cards in their e740? Thanks for any input! :?

--Dave

mashtim
08-09-2002, 11:51 PM
I have also had that message pop up a couple of times. I simply did a soft-reset and tried again. Went away all by itself.

ECOslin
08-10-2002, 12:27 AM
How durable is an SD card? I saw some specs on the internet that said they were 2mm plus a little bit thick.

One of the first memory card types I started with was the Smartmedia card. I was always suspicious that I had broken it every time I slid it into anything. It is called 'Smartmedia' when its not, really, It's a basic memory chip with no onboard management or control chip. I researched it.

My current fav is CF cards, I like their thickness and wider compatability with my PC reader, camera, z50 HPC, Pcmcia adapter, and the odd Pocket PC. The thickness means less likely I'll kill it easily.

I'm uncertain how I like the angled alignment corner. Maybe it helps better to plug in the card in the dark as well as prevent misalignment.
Are all the little contact sliders tied together or are there separate sleeves and springs for each? Can software override the hardware read/write lock?

Edward

Dave Beauvais
08-10-2002, 04:06 AM
Thanks for the replies. I soft reset my e740 each time I tried because I had to -- the Data Backup software locked up and would not close, even using the "Running Tasks" dialog, so in order to try the next SD card, I had to soft reset. :roll: I'm going to go buy a cheap, low-capacity CF card tomorrow to try out. If that doesn't work, I'm going to try software like Sprite Backup (http://www.spritesoftware.com/pocket.html).

--Dave