View Full Version : New CDMA cards from Sprint

disconnected
08-08-2002, 04:28 PM
Now that Sprint has finally announced some of the new equipment for their high-speed network --

http://144.226.116.29/PR/CDA/PR_CDA...html?ID=1111288

They do not mention Bluetooth at all. :x

They do list three cards --

PCS Connection CardTMby Novatel Wireless (Merlin C201TM) - Designed to provide mobile professionals with high-speed seamless wireless access to the Web, e-mail and corporate applications, the PCS Connection Card by Novatel Wireless allows customers to send and receive data at speeds comparable to landline dial-up connections, with average speeds of 50 to 70 kilobits per second and peak speeds of up to 144 kilobits per second. The lightweight card has a built-in antenna and is compatible with laptops and handhelds that use Windows® 98/2000/ME/XP and Pocket PC 2000 and 2002 devices equipped with a Type II PC Card slot. Suggested retail price: $249.99.

PCS Connection CardTM by Sierra Wireless® AirCard( 550) - Mobile users can work like they never left the office. The PCS Connection Card by Sierra Wireless allows high-speed, always-available access to the Web, e-mail, and other personal or corporate information, in addition to sending and receiving voice calls while using an earbud. The single band design (1900 MHz) offers maximum coverage and access to the enhanced Sprint Nationwide PCS Network - ensuring customers have a fast, convenient way to connect to information while on the road and away from the office. Suggested price: $349.99.

PCS Connection Card by Yiso (CF 2031) - A PCS Connection Card that allows mobile employees to access their company network, send and receive e-mail, access the Web wirelessly and make voice calls when inserted in a computing device using a hands-free earbud. Suggested retail price: $229.99.

I hope someone manages to get their hands on all of these to do a review.

Thinkingmandavid
08-09-2002, 02:48 AM
Do you work for sprint?

disconnected
08-09-2002, 03:14 AM
NO!

It's just that when I got my first PocketPC two years ago, the main use I thought I was getting it for was for portable internet access. The experience has never been everything I'd hoped for (data connection kit, socket card, aircard, Supplynet cables), so I'm always anxiously awaiting the next generation of devices/services.

I have Sprint service now, and would kind of like to stay with Sprint only because from what I've read, they still have the most coverage around the US. I recently upgraded to an iPAQ 3975, thinking that surely the next generation of Sprint phones would include one with bluetooth. I'm pretty bummed that that doesn't seem to be the case, and from reading Sprint's press release, it isn't even clear that the phones can be used as modems for the 3G service.

I have a Silver Slider, so the CF card wouldn't be too bad, I guess, except that I've become very partial to my Inooch case, and they don't make one for the Silver Slider.

I really just would like to read some reviews comparing these cards to each other, and also to a Voicestream bluetooth phone, for that matter.

dreampages
08-09-2002, 03:18 AM
We just listed the new Novatel and Sierra Wireless cards at www.dreampages.com?aff=pocketpcthoughts&page=sprinpcswir3.html

From a press release: "Users can sign up for monthly plans ranging from $49.99 to $119.99 for 20 to 120 megabytes of data. For a limited time, customers can sign up for unlimited data usage plans for $49.99 for the first three months and $99.99 for the rest of the contract term."

We'll post the rate plans on our site as soon as we get them from Sprint PCS. The card can be preordered now and should ship early next week.

Larry

jweitzman
10-08-2002, 01:45 PM
Any word on the availability of the Yiso CF Sprint Vision card? The ship date on Dreampages keeps drifting into the future....