View Full Version : Does Anyone Else's Ipaq Turn On Randomly?

snappy2515
08-07-2002, 05:30 PM
I use my Ipaq 3700 to listen to music.....then i turn it off.......then after about ten seconds its turns back on.....really weird :? .......I dont have any reminders set to turn the device on and remind me........oh ya and it also turns off when it feels like it.......does anyone else experience this?

Jason Dunn
08-07-2002, 05:39 PM
I've seen this on my HP and the iPAQ - I almost wonder if it's not an EUU2 thing... :?

Mike Temporale
08-07-2002, 05:52 PM
I haven't noticed anything weird like that. (I have installed EUU2) Does this only happen after listening to music?

snappy2515
08-07-2002, 06:32 PM
I've seen this on my HP and the iPAQ - I almost wonder if it's not an EUU2 thing... :?

I just recently have installed the EUU2 update and ever since then it has been doing this.......and it does seem to only do this after listening to music......this is just one of the many problems i have encountered with my ipaq :x its very frustrating

Wiggin
08-07-2002, 06:59 PM
Ditto on the music scenario, but I also get the iPaq turn-on occuring at other times as well. Here's one that's strange... when I disconnect the iPaq from the PC, and then put the PC into Hibernate, the iPaq turns on... hmmm :? . I have installed EUU2 as well. I scratch it up to the "unique" characteristics of the iPaq...kinda like owning an Italian sports car... great when it works, but frustrating when it doesn't.

Birdman
08-09-2002, 06:21 PM
I had the same problem after installing the EUU2 update. I finally noticed that under Star-AS-Tools, the "Schedule" tab had the following box selected "When not connected to my PC, sync with the server every _ minutes". For some reason, there was a check mark next to this option. What was happening, was that every 15 minutes, the ipaq woke up to try and sync with the server, even though it was sitting in a case in my pocket. Once I de-selected this option, problem solved.

Wiggin
08-09-2002, 08:52 PM
Nice catch! Made the same change, and the problem has vanished. Cheers

bdeli
08-10-2002, 05:44 AM
HP issued an advisory on this related to the 38xx with the new ROM update: http://www3.compaq.com/support/reference_library/viewdocument.asp?dt=3&source=MH020719_CW02.xml

dcharles18
08-10-2002, 07:00 PM
I haven't installed EUU2 or the ROM upgrade yet, with all of the stories I'm hearing, I don't think I will any time soon.

bdeli
08-10-2002, 08:00 PM
The one thing which is working without any problems is my BT exp. sleeve. After the ROM update I do not need to reset the iPAQ everytime I need to use BT. Also speed on SD card seems to have improved.

Mike Temporale
08-12-2002, 03:00 PM
... I finally noticed that under Star-AS-Tools, the "Schedule" tab had

Sorry, but where is this? Star-As-Tools?? I think you're refering to something under networking, but I can't find any thing that is close to that? Was this a typo?

Birdman
08-12-2002, 11:00 PM
Soory, it was a combination of a typo and shorthand. :oops: Under the Start menu on your pocketPC, select ActiveSync, then select tools, then schedule.

Hope this helps

Ravenswing
08-22-2002, 02:44 PM
Don't know if this is the same thing: my iPAQ doesn't turn on randonly, it's very predictable :lol:

After it's been synced, not sure of the interval, but it seems to be every time, the machine will spring into life. It's nothing to do with EUU2 because it did it before I installed EUU2.

AKL114
08-29-2002, 04:40 PM
iPAQ 3765, PDA Motion SS-2, 256 mb cf

I have same annoying problem. Disconnect from office computer, turn off iPAQ ,and discover later that it has turned itself back on. Has bled my battery to death a number of times.

The active-sync schedule box was not checked.

Unreal32
11-05-2002, 02:57 PM
My system seems to set off an alarm and then never turn off, requiring a reset. This runs the battery down, often overnight, and I lose my data.

Just had it happen again... only this time with a subtle difference:

Unit was cradled. Alarm went off. Alarm light flashes, alarm sound goes off... but the Snooze button does not respond, and no other buttons (except reset of course) work at all. Resetting solves the issue temporarily only.

Then this morning, I woke up and went into my office, where I'd set my iPaq on my desk. To my dismay, the unit was on, backlight and all... with two alarms visible on the screen. So the alarm went off, then the machine did not turn off after its requisite 1 minute of inactivity. I checked the power settings and they're all correct as far as I can tell. But obviously I'm at the risk of losing my data one of these days when the machine turns on and I don't use it for a day or more, and the battery runs out.

Any more thoughts? Can anyone help? Is anyone seeing anything like this with their machine?

I've turned off the setting in Activesync that HP recommends, but I still have this recurring problem.

CoreyJF
11-05-2002, 07:04 PM
Mine tends to just turn it self on when is in the cradle

SteveLonsdale
11-22-2002, 03:02 PM
My system seems to set off an alarm and then never turn off, requiring a reset. This runs the battery down, often overnight, and I lose my data.

Just had it happen again... only this time with a subtle difference:

Unit was cradled. Alarm went off. Alarm light flashes, alarm sound goes off... but the Snooze button does not respond, and no other buttons (except reset of course) work at all. Resetting solves the issue temporarily only.

Then this morning, I woke up and went into my office, where I'd set my iPaq on my desk. To my dismay, the unit was on, backlight and all... with two alarms visible on the screen. So the alarm went off, then the machine did not turn off after its requisite 1 minute of inactivity. I checked the power settings and they're all correct as far as I can tell. But obviously I'm at the risk of losing my data one of these days when the machine turns on and I don't use it for a day or more, and the battery runs out.

Any more thoughts? Can anyone help? Is anyone seeing anything like this with their machine?

I've turned off the setting in Activesync that HP recommends, but I still have this recurring problem.

My understanding is that there are two separate problems here. I had a number of occurences of the the one you describe above, where the machine (IPAQ 3850) would come on overnight and drain the battery. Since updating to ROM 1.20 and EUU 2 (two months ago) I have not had this occur.

The second problem occurs when the machine turns on around 2 minutes after being powered down. This is the problem for which bdeli describes the fix in his post.

Steve

mhowie
11-27-2002, 04:07 PM
I have almost the opposite extreme with my 3970... Very randomly, my iPAQ will not power on and requires a soft reset to resuscitate. It is almost as if the power button is disabled. I have seen this immediately after turning my iPAQ off and attempting to power back on and have seen it after the iPAQ has been sitting off in a power off state for many hours. It happens rather infrequently and in each instance a soft reset has cured.

Weird...

John Hung
11-28-2002, 09:47 AM
I have recently exchanged my iPAQ 3835 up to an iPAQ 3955, so I assume I have the latest updates. Each morning after I am done with activesync, unplug the device from the computer, and turn off the unit, the unit will turn itself back on after a few seconds. I will have to observe the unit the next time it turns itself back on to see if the unit will turn itself off after the designate wait minutes.

Janak Parekh
11-28-2002, 08:15 PM
The turning-on problem started with EUU1, so "before EUU2" isn't conclusive. Anyway, like bdeli said, look at the advisory -- it most definitely has the answer. I had the same problem 6 months ago and by turning off Server Activesync the problem went away for good.

--bdj

Unreal32
12-02-2002, 05:00 AM
I have almost the opposite extreme with my 3970... Very randomly, my iPAQ will not power on and requires a soft reset to resuscitate. It is almost as if the power button is disabled. I have seen this immediately after turning my iPAQ off and attempting to power back on and have seen it after the iPAQ has been sitting off in a power off state for many hours. It happens rather infrequently and in each instance a soft reset has cured.

I've had this problem, myself. Seems to happen when you turn it on (sometimes) and then turn it off and turn it right back on again... then occasionally it will not power off, and only a soft-reset will work.

Someone said in another posting that it's pathetic that a 3-dollar watch has more reliable alarms than a $500-600 PPC. Too true.