View Full Version : Get those movies movin'

Andy Sjostrom
08-07-2002, 02:38 PM
<a href="http://www.sprinklerhead.com/media.htm">http://www.sprinklerhead.com/media.htm</a><br /><br />Jeremiah Owen, <a href="http://www.sprinklerhead.com">sprinklerhead.com</a>, looks into the world of Pocket PC multimedia as he reviews three media players: PocketTV Classic, PocketTV Enterprise and Pocket Divx, new kid on the block. The review is quite detailed and reveals some interesting performance aspects...<br /><br />"The bottom line is for MPEG playback at it's fastest and best quality look no further than PocketTV Enterprise (the free version is no slouch either so those who are financially impaired need not worry). ... If you want more out of a media player or have encoded Divx content then Pocket Divx is the only way to go..."

snappy2515
08-07-2002, 04:17 PM
I'm new to Pocket Pc's.......In the article it mentions that the Toshiba e740 has a thing called "ATI Imageon".....what's that?

CESkins
08-07-2002, 04:30 PM
I'm new to Pocket Pc's.......In the article it mentions that the Toshiba e740 has a thing called "ATI Imageon".....what's that?

It's a 2D graphics accelerator chip which works in PocketPCs. So far, Toshiba has the only PDA which sport one.

snappy2515
08-07-2002, 05:09 PM
thanks for the info :)

Do you think they will become more and more common in new pocket pcs?

entropy1980
08-07-2002, 05:17 PM
Definitely, there is also a 3d accelerator in the works from ATI.

Tom Eichers
08-07-2002, 05:30 PM
Nice, I have always had great luck with PocketTV. PocketDIVX gave me headaces using it, (Crash, Reset, Lockup, Hard Reset, Repeat). Finally gave up on it. PocketTV has always worked.

snappy2515
08-07-2002, 05:40 PM
Nice, I have always had great luck with PocketTV. PocketDIVX gave me headaces using it, (Crash, Reset, Lockup, Hard Reset, Repeat). Finally gave up on it. PocketTV has always worked.

I've had the same problems with Windows Media Player 8.....Pocket Tv has been the best for videos for me.....they don't happen to have an MP3 player program do they.....i'm sure they could make a great program

st63z
08-08-2002, 06:13 PM
I want to set the Pocket PC performance bar much higher, dammit! :) Minimum, it should be able to play any standard VideoCD MPEG1 at full 30fps.

Even better is if it can play DVD->Divx MPEG4 video at full frame rate. You know, those MPEG2 DVD movies that you convert to Divx so it can juust fit in one CD-ROM (650-700MB), but still looks almost as good on the big screen?

What, you're saying, it's total overkill playing high-res video on the PPC screen? I know, I just want the convenience of never having to manually re-encode any video (again) just for the PPC. And this way, the same hi-res video you carry on your PPC can be outputted to any big screen and still be watchable (assuming there's a way to connect directly).

Anyways, I keep reading about the digital nirvana that the new ISO MPEG4 is supposed to bring about (recently from latest PC Mag issue). Interactive features, one source for multiple devices/resolutions, etc...?