View Full Version : How do you carry all those gadgets?

marlof
08-06-2002, 02:17 PM
In the recent discussion on <a href="http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2630">Pocket PC Phone Etiquette</a> we came to speak on the topic of carrying your gadgets. Which makes me wonder: how do you carry all those gadgets? If you want, you can send me a picture ([email protected]?subject=I carry my gadgets like this!) (resize to 320 x 240 pixels) and I'll create a photo gallery of some sorts. There's no prize to be won. Just fun to be had. :D

EyePAQ
08-06-2002, 02:28 PM
My preference is iPAQ on my belt, right hip, and my phone in my pocket. Co-workers and friends now ask me if everything is OK, if they DON'T see my iPAQ on my belt. They just know it goes everywhere I go. I call it my second brain.

Ed Hansberry
08-06-2002, 03:01 PM
MOBILE PANTS! :D

Chris Spera
08-06-2002, 03:19 PM
I've got multpile modes of transportation for all of my PDA's. As I have about 5 at the moment (iPAQ 3835, iPAQ 3765, Jornada 567, Clie NR70, and Jornada 680 HPC Pro), and really use 2 or so at any given time for a number of personal purposes and reviews, I need more than one way to carry my stuff. :D

I live in my iPAQ 3835. I have a Targus Tri Fold Wallet case that I use to carry it in when I'm out of the office. The Targus case functions as a wallet and checkbook holder and permits me to carry my Club Pocket PC 4x mode stylus/pen, iPAQ 3835, head phones (ear buds) and other personal info. Its the man-bag, but looks like some sort of day timer. The iPAQ is always in my PC Card sleeve. The PDA secures to the zippered portion of the case via a velcro strip on the back of the Sleeve.

In the office, I carry my 3835 in a Vaja Custom, ostrich leather PC Card compatible case with ultra clip. I find that I don't like carrying my wallet with me to every meeting, and the Vaja case allows me to wear my gadget on my belt, getting it out of my hands. I've usually got a lot of file folders or note pads/ meeting materials with me, and wearing it on my belt is a good compromise.

I am still looking for some sort of wallet cases for my Jornada 567 and Clie NR70; but ideally, I'd like to have something similar to what I use for my iPAQs. I'm really not interested in gumming up the back of my Clie or Jornada 567 with a piece of Velcro tape.

The Jornada 680 is basically out of general service, tho it is in perfect working order. When I did carry it full time, I used the same Targus case as I do with my iPAQs, securing it to the zippered portion of the case with a Velcro strip.

Ideally, I'd like some sort of wallet case for my Clie and Jornada 567 so that I can carry them when outside the office. Anybody have any good suggestions??

Christopher Spera
-------
pocketnow Writer

pocketnow.com -- it's all about portability...
http://www.pocketnow.com

eosd30
08-06-2002, 03:21 PM
Hey, great topic!

Ericsson t68 on a belt clip or in my left pants pocket. Ericsson HBH-15 Bluetooth headset in a leather case clipped to my left pants pocket. iPaq 3870 and Cross Morph pen in a Nike travel wallet slung over my shoulder (incidentally, I also keep my cash, my credit card and my IDs in there)

Compaq foldable keyboard, phone and ipaq chargers, Leatherman Micro, a few car or photography magazines, and an Olympus mjuII with a couple of rolls of B&W film in a small leather Nike knapsack.

I like the stealth look. I do have two pairs of Mobile Pants but I mostly wear shorts and sneakers to work.

Vic

TMAN
08-06-2002, 03:37 PM
I use the European style / Man-bag. I use the Travel Clutch from Tumi.

http://www.tumi.com/products/product.asp?prodnum=77

I think I paid around $165 at Colorado Baggage about 4 or 5 years ago. Pretty good investment.

I carry my 3970, Sony Ericsson T68, Keyboard, Bluetooth Headset, Sunglasses, Credit Cards, and bills.

Jonathon Watkins
08-06-2002, 03:56 PM
Great, the never-ending thread - just like at "the site formerly run by Wes Salmon(TM)" :D

I cary my Psion Revo with a BodyGlove neoprane velcro fastened belt pouch. When I get my LOOX I am going to get a leather belt carried with an Untraclip or similar.

Ainvar
08-06-2002, 04:05 PM
I carry my iPAQ 3835 with a CF Plus Expan Pack in my right pants pocket and my Motorola P280 in my left pants pocket. I wear Structure Slacks to work and cargo style khaki shorts out of work. Since most of my info is on my iPAQ I can now carry a small wallet instead of my leather filing cabinet from seinfield

denivan
08-06-2002, 05:05 PM
I let my girlfriend carry everything :twisted:

stevew
08-06-2002, 05:13 PM
I attached a belt clip to the back of the Ipaq 3835 cover pack and carry it on my belt. My cell phone on my belt also. And while at work I carry a 800 mhz 2-way radio on my belt too.

Wes Salmon
08-06-2002, 05:42 PM
PPC Phone Edition in a RIM Blackberry 957 hip holster ... doh! :)

The only other gadget I carry these days is my pager watch on my wrist.

I feel so light and maneuverable now.

Dave Beauvais
08-06-2002, 06:22 PM
Say, that sounds pretty convenient. Do you know where I can get one of these? :lol:

--Dave

Duncan
08-06-2002, 06:40 PM
www.flipoutpda.com - best Pocket PC cases ever for my money! (you do realise, BTW, that two of the options given in the Poll are unintentionally rude/funny - at least in the UK! :) )

heliod
08-06-2002, 07:22 PM
Pocket PC in a Niteize holster, just like this, on the right side of the belt:

http://www.pocketpcfreak.com/NewsImages/Niteize_hang.jpg

And the mobile phone in an horizontal case on the left side.

Helio[/img]

JMountford
08-06-2002, 09:27 PM
I have one of the old Compaq cases from the Win CE 1.5 days. It came with a Compaq folding CE machine. I forget what it was called. Any way the case is bigger than the iPaq. my iPaq with CF Jacket, extra CF cards, full size pen stylus, and Thumb Board all fit inside the case. My Sanyo 6000 is slim enough I just slip it in the outside pocket. So everything is in one case at my hip. Either that or my Wolf Creek backpack has a front pouch with perfect size individual mesh pockets inside.

Jeff Rutledge
08-06-2002, 11:26 PM
I just bought an eVest. It's a little warm here to wear it yet but I have loaded it up here in the house. I think it's going to work out quite nicely.

I am a little peeved that the new version (2.5) came out like 2 days after I placed my order. Oh well, c'est la vie eh?

I am seriously considering trying out a pair of Dockers mobile pants. Question for anyone who has a pair: How apparent is it that there's an iPAQ in the hidden pocket? That is, can you see the outline in an obvious way?

Thanks.

Aceze
08-07-2002, 12:23 AM
European style / Man-bag / Purse

"Hey, Silvio, look at Jerry here, prancing around in his coat with his purse. Yup, he's a dandy. He's a real fancy boy."
"He's very fancy! Want me, love me! Shower me with kisses!"
hahaha

The only "Man-bag" a guy carries should be in his pants! :splat:

Urgh!
Aceze

dhoward
08-07-2002, 01:49 AM
Since you guys have been helpful with comments and suggestions, I thought I would pass along an endorsement from a happy customer.

If you are interested in some well built and designed pants, look at the Men's Pants from Royal Robbins. (www.royalrobbins.com).

They became very famous for their Classic 5.11 FBI pants. 7 pockets. Double knees. These have become the preferred pants for Law Enforcement and Paramedics alike. I have three pair and wear them every day.

The 511 Classic FBI has been apparently phased out for the new 5.12 Odyssey. Different fabric with same, great design, now with 8 pockets.

The iPAQ fits very nicely in the lower pocket on either leg, and have a velcro flap for keeping things in their place, even using a Vaja case.

BTW, your cell phone fits very nicely in the small front vertical pocket (Nokia 6100 series).

Re: ScotteVest, I tried one of these in the 2.0s. Unfortunately, most all the pockets have the same bottom horizontal line, regardless of their position on the front or inside. Results in all the carry items "pooling" together and presenting a bunched up look. You'll end up having to carry less from the poor design.

With the change of a few helm lines, placing the bottom of differing pockets on alternating levels, you would have a 100% winner.

Don't be fooled. The models in the photos do not have loaded pockets--maybe one or two items--but not populated to carry many items. Don't misunderstand--the vest will carry the items. You'll look pregnant doing it though.

Sent a note to the company and no response. Hmmmmm??

Enjoy. Thanks for the many helpful tips from everyone. Makes for a great daily read.

david
dallas

johncruise
08-07-2002, 02:20 AM
Belt bag of course! Pictures later :D

klinux
08-07-2002, 02:37 AM
Another vote for the Mobile pants (Gap's version - got two for $10 each). Although hate to have to reach for things at the knee level though.

Ed Hansberry
08-07-2002, 03:32 AM
The only "Man-bag" a guy carries should be in his pants! :splat:
I have started to post that about 4 times and keep hitting cancel! :lol: I think I saw that reference on Soprano's or something similar.

Carrying a purse..... :roll: Dressing like Batman is cool. Dressing like RuPaul (http://www.rupaul.com) is not. :onfire:

palmsolo
08-07-2002, 11:17 PM
dhoward,

You are absolutely correct on the eVest, the larger pockets all have the bottoms line up so all my items pool in the bottom. I just got my vest 2 days ago and am trying to see if I can get rid of my soft briefcase type bag I was carrying all the time. The vest fits good and I am able to get most everything in it, but I really wish they would have staggered the bottoms of the pockets instead of making the really large ones match the bottoms of the smaller ones. I suppose I can do a little self modification if it bugs me too much. Maybe I can move things around to make it work better.

I usually wear XL shirts and am glad I ordered the XXL because it is just right.

Brad Adrian
08-08-2002, 04:16 PM
I am a little peeved that the new version (2.5) came out like 2 days after I placed my order. Oh well, c'est la vie eh?

Do you think the changes in v2.5 were great enough, especially to justify the additional money? I think the new version added a hood, ID pocket and a bright blue color, but I think v2.0 is still pretty good.

Jeff Rutledge
08-08-2002, 05:39 PM

Do you think the changes in v2.5 were great enough, especially to justify the additional money? I think the new version added a hood, ID pocket and a bright blue color, but I think v2.0 is still pretty good.

It's hard to say. I was mostly joking. It just seems that's always the way with me. I finally decide to make a purchase, and an upgrade comes out the next day. :?

Truthfully, I'm pretty happy with my v2.0 vest. I'm still getting used to the collar, but otherwise it's quite nice.

scott911
11-13-2002, 11:20 PM
FYI, Version 2.5 is being featured tonight on techtv's Fresh Gear.

Watch today at 9:30 p.m., tomorrow at 12:30 a.m., and Friday 11/15 at 12 a.m. Eastern.

Very kewl!

Scott

Kati Compton
11-14-2002, 12:15 AM

Then you should be voting "purse". :)

Kati Compton
11-14-2002, 12:17 AM
www.flipoutpda.com - best Pocket PC cases ever for my money! (you do realise, BTW, that two of the options given in the Poll are unintentionally rude/funny - at least in the UK! :) )

I know about "fanny" meaning something else over there (which makes the phrase fanny pack/sack/bag really funny, I agree) - what's the other one?

Kati Compton
11-14-2002, 12:23 AM

I know about "fanny" meaning something else over there (which makes the phrase fanny pack/sack/bag really funny, I agree) - what's the other one?

Wait - let me guess - is it pants == underwear? I think I've heard that one...

Jonathon Watkins
11-14-2002, 12:42 AM

Wait - let me guess - is it pants == underwear? I think I've heard that one...

Ummm, :oops: right area - a lot more intimate than that! ::scrambleup: wink: (Ladies only).

On a related note, while at university one evening, a group of people was arranging going hill-walking the next day. A UK guy asked a US girl “Shall I knock you up in the morning” and we were all amazed when she slapped him across the face and was really angry with him. In the UK the phrase means to tap on someone’s door to wake them up. She explained that where she came from in the US it had quite a different meaning. (Probably no need to explain further… :wink: )

Kati Compton
11-14-2002, 01:07 AM
On a related note, while at university one evening, a group of people was arranging going hill-walking the next day. A UK guy asked a US girl “Shall I knock you up in the morning” and we were all amazed when she slapped him across the face and was really angry with him. In the UK the phrase means to tap on someone’s door to wake them up. She explained that where she came from in the US it had quite a different meaning. (Probably no need to explain further… :wink: )

Hehehehe. That's okay, I don't think most Americans know the "other" meaning to "chatting up"... I laughed when people would say "I'll chat you up" when they meant "I'll open an IM chat session with you". ;)

I would have just laughed at the guy, myself (if I though he meant the American-ese version). Slapping and being angry, while it makes the story better, seems over the top!

yvilla
11-14-2002, 01:08 AM
Carrying a purse..... :roll: Dressing like Batman is cool. Dressing like RuPaul (http://www.rupaul.com) is not. :onfire:

Where did that come from? Ed! You think only men can be Pocket PC freaks? :splat:

Kati Compton
11-14-2002, 01:09 AM
Ummm, :oops: right area - a lot more intimate than that! ::scrambleup: wink: (Ladies only).

I gots to gets me some of them Docker's Mobile Panties. ;)

ECOslin
11-14-2002, 02:36 AM
I was cheap, I sewed some black duracloth into a pocket and sewed the pocket suspended from the top in an old, but still in good shape, book bag from my college years. I added a velcro flip over to hold my IBM z50 in the case.

I use the sewn in keychain holder to hold my 8 Mb 'Disk-on-key' and the pencil bag to hold my power supply etc.

The thing doesn't look like a notebook case and there is enough circumferential padding, I try not to throw it anywhere, to protect it.

I'm more the cargo pockets type of guy and I load the lower pockets with my PocketPC/Cell phone/Wire crimpers/logic tester/mini cordless drill.

I broke one cell phone that way, it must have dis-agreed with another tool I was carrying, I bought a better cell phone.

Edward

Coralie
11-14-2002, 11:38 AM
If you are interested in some well built and designed pants, look at the Men's Pants from Royal Robbins. (www.royalrobbins.com).
oh man (punny, punny) .. this really pisses me off. i've checked out their trousers & you're right, the men's pants look fastastic. here's the killer though .. what about us women?? what, do we not need pockets like men do?

honestly, this riles me to the max. i'm not getting upset because i'm some raving hairy-armpitted feminist or anything, i just like to have practical clothing & women's clothes are anything but! i won't get onto my soap box completely, but i'll give you a quick run-down of why women's clothes suck. they're more expensive, for less quality, less fabric, less wearability & far, far less comfort. the thing is, they can get away with this because women keep buying this garbage!

*.. inhale .. exhale .. inhale .. exhale ..*

okay, i've calmed down a little bit.

i will now tell you how i carry my ipaq. i found a great shop just off the brisbane mall (in the elizabeth arcade in the unlikely case that someone else from brisvegas reads this) that sells gear for nightclubbing: bags, clothes, funky accessories.

one of the items they sell is a kind of shoulder bag that fits over your shoulder & across your back kind of holster style. it has pockets on both sides allowing entry from the top & along one side allowing entry from the side. it's brilliant. the 'inside' pocket is the one i use for my device. not only can i reach it easily, but others can't. it's almost like reaching into the inside pocket on a jacket. (a man's jacket, that is. women don't get outside pockets, let alone inside pockets in our jackets. we only get those stupid fake ones that lull you into a false sense of hope which is then thrown to the ground & stomped on repeatedly.)

anyway, it's great. it's not suitable to wear over all shirts, but for most fitted t-shirts it's perfect. :D

as a side note .. you can tell what sort of clientele this shop gets when they make a point of showing you the 'stash' pocket & then throw a free chupa chup into the bag with your purchase .. :rofl:

Kati Compton
11-14-2002, 07:22 PM
oh man (punny, punny) .. this really pisses me off. i've checked out their trousers & you're right, the men's pants look fastastic. here's the killer though .. what about us women?? what, do we not need pockets like men do?

Don't forget that when we *do* have pockets, they're much shallower than men's pockets. Things are always working their way out the top of my pockets.

ECOslin
11-14-2002, 08:34 PM
Of course you could be this guy, http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2002/11/13/1037080776940.html

Coralie
11-14-2002, 10:11 PM
Don't forget that when we *do* have pockets, they're much shallower than men's pockets. Things are always working their way out the top of my pockets.
yes, exactly. what pockets they do give us are so impractical they may as well not be there .. :roll:

Of course you could be this guy, http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2002/11/13/1037080776940.html
my hero!! :werenotworthy:

Kati Compton
11-14-2002, 10:26 PM
yes, exactly. what pockets they do give us are so impractical they may as well not be there .. :roll:

Of course, what I *really* want is a Bag of Holding...

Jonathon Watkins
11-14-2002, 11:20 PM

Pardon? :confused totally: Is this some US cultural reference I am not getting? :splat: Enlightenment is appreciated! :way to go:

Kati Compton
11-14-2002, 11:32 PM

Pardon? :confused totally: Is this some US cultural reference I am not getting? :splat: Enlightenment is appreciated! :way to go:

...sometimes I out-geek myself. It's a reference to Dungeons & Dragons roleplaying game... In the game, a "Bag of Holding" is a magical bag that can hold basically any item that can fit through the opening, even if it's larger than the actual bag, with little/no increase in the weight of the bag...

ECOslin
11-15-2002, 02:28 AM
I have a synthetic leather CD case, one of the 48 cd holder type that I emptied out to put a notebook computer and it's accessories in.

An old canvas point and shoot type camera bag that would snap on my belt once held my Palm Pilot Pro until I learned better and sold it. :)

I bought a 'Krusell' belt case to hold my Audiovox Maestro(Tosh570), it does the job. I bought one of the $8 belt clips provided exclusively by Krusell, thought it sucked, and so adapted my own belt clips and spares using my dremel tool. The Krusell case didn't line up with the buttons and holes on my Maestro at first, I've stressed it a little to make it fit better.

The plastic Krusell belt clip was made more for a half inch type belt and was not really secured by anything other than friction. I like a physical impediment and spring steel retention. I already have spares because I have tended in the past to snag phone and pda cases and breaking the clips. If my PDA is going to drop to the floor, there better be carnage.

Edward

Coralie
11-15-2002, 09:34 AM
... "Bag of Holding" is a magical bag that can hold basically any item that can fit through the opening, even if it's larger than the actual bag, with little/no increase in the weight of the bag...
wow .. i want one ..

ExtremeSIMS
01-01-2003, 07:44 AM

...sometimes I out-geek myself. It's a reference to Dungeons & Dragons roleplaying game... In the game, a "Bag of Holding" is a magical bag that can hold basically any item that can fit through the opening, even if it's larger than the actual bag, with little/no increase in the weight of the bag...

If I carry a Heward's Handy Haversack, would I look a right puff? Maybe if I also carried a long sword....

I carry a man bag - an Eddie Bauer pack. Small bag of leather and ballistic nylon. Sure, I get ribbed sometimes, but the first time they forget their PDA or keys or need eye drops, etc., the ribbing stops. :lol:

ctmagnus
05-16-2005, 03:27 AM
This threads's been dead for nearly two-and-a-half years so it's about time someone resurected it ;)

I have a Timbuk2 Commute (http://www.timbuk2.com/tb2/catalog/categories.t2;jsessionid=3041F0EB6BC9E654A0ADEF5E10964E50?categoryId=7) that holds everything I need nicely. The very best part about it is the pocket right inside the back pocket that's sized perfectly for a Pocket PC. No more belt clips!

Jon Westfall
05-16-2005, 04:01 AM
I recently bought a swiss army-branded portfolio that my Tablet PC fits nicely into, and has enough space/pockets for my PPCs and gear. I'm always searching for the perfect small bag!