View Full Version : Contacts without Outlook?

kesslari
08-01-2002, 09:19 PM
I'd really like to find some Contacts software for the Pocket PC that bypasses outlook completely. Thus far, everything I've seen uses Outlook (the Typhoid Mary of Address books, IMHO). The one happy exception has been Oddessy's On-Schedule, but it's pretty pricey.
Anyone know of a solution?
Thanks!
JK

Jeff Rutledge
08-01-2002, 10:38 PM
Sorry if I'm missing the point, but could you not just set ActiveSync to not synchronize Contacts? That way you can just use your PPC and don't need to use Outlook at all.

Unless you mean a replacement for Pocket Outlook itself. There are a few options like Pocket Informant (www.pocketinformant.com) or Agenda Fusion (www.developerone.com). You could even create a fairly detailed list using ListPro (www.illiumsoft.com) for something like that.

Hope that helps somewhat.

kesslari
08-01-2002, 10:53 PM
Guess I wasn't clear.
I'm a former Visor user. I use Contacts on my Palm, and on the PC using the Palm Desktop, frequently.
Sure, I could set up Contacts in the iPAQ and not synch it, but then I a) don't have them backed up; and b) don't have access to them when I'm on the PC.
So my guess is that I'm looking for Contacts software that has a PDA version and a PC version to synch it to.
Meanwhile, I'm checking out AgendaFusion - thanks for the tip, though it too seems "Outlook-centric".
And in the meantime, I have my contacts in an Excel spreadsheet. Not exactly graceful or high tech, but it is working.
Thanks,
JK

Jeff Rutledge
08-01-2002, 11:19 PM
Yeah, I thought that might have been what you meant. I think the limitation is Activesync. I know that there are other synchronization options, such as Intellisync that you could look at (www.pumatech.com). It syncs with other software such as Lotus Organizer, etc.

In fact, the website appears to say you can sync PocketPC with Palm Desktop. I find that hard to believe but it could be read that way.
(Here's the direct link: http://www.pumatech.com/is_desktop_main.html.

I've never tried it, but it might help you out. Dunno. We use Outlook here at work so I've never had a choice.

kesslari
08-02-2002, 01:01 AM
Thanks again for trying.
I downloaded the trial version. It lets you sync contacts on the iPAQ to MS and Lotus products. Not to Palm Desktop.
Probably would have been simple to include the hooks, but they didn't think it would add value, I guess.
<sigh>

Malacandra
08-02-2002, 03:03 AM
What's so bad about Outlook? I for one like it much better than Palm Contacts. What don't you like about it?

Thinkingmandavid
08-02-2002, 03:40 AM
Hello:)
I as well am wondering why you are against using outlook. I am not sure what is available for you to use in its place. I havent heard the question before so am now wondering what your choices would be. It does seem tome that it would sync with any contacts you want to use, but I could be wrong. can anyone confirm this?

kesslari
08-02-2002, 04:45 PM
Many, many current and recent viruses (Klez, for example) target the Outlook (and especially Outlook's address book and email client). It may not be bad software but, being a MS product and a dominant market product, it's the Big Target for hackers and virus-slingers.
Although I'm careful and don't open attachments, etc, I just don't want my friends' and business contacts' information stored in Outlook on my PC where it is most vulnerable to attack.
Call me paranoid, but I'd like to find another solution.
Unfortunately, Outlook seems to be "built in" to PocketPC. So finding something else to Synch to is not easy.
JK