View Full Version : Checkbook Program?

Sparkomatic
08-01-2002, 12:46 AM
Okay, I'm looking for a checkbook program that does not take up alot of memory, and does very simple tasks. I don't need one with a lot of bells and whistles and it does not need to sync to my desktop. I'd also like for it to have a keypad type password protection. I used to have one on my Palm that did this and loved it. Does such a program exist for PPC's?? Thanks!

Brad Adrian
08-01-2002, 01:48 AM
Have you looked at MS Money? It works pretty well, but has been known to cause problems when synching with desktop Money. However, since that's not a priority for you, it might just fit the bill.

Of course, a very good source of ideas is the www.handango.com site. You can search for programs based on keyword, and most of the programs have demos you can try before you buy.

Malacandra
08-01-2002, 02:54 PM
www.catamount.com Pocket Money (not to be confused with MS Pocket Money)

I don't think it has password protection :( It is basically a PPC standalone app. It will soon include a desktop syncing app for backup purposes. I used PMT on my Palm and this was my closest favorite.

And believe you me, I tried them all!

Sparkomatic
08-01-2002, 04:07 PM
Thanks for the posts! I've checked out handango but haven't really seen anything I liked.

The closet I've come to finding something I liked was catamount's checkbook program. However, like you said Malacandra, no password protection. It doesn't look like they're updating their software too often either.

Hmmm... maybe I'm just being too darn picky! :lol:

uthguy9
08-04-2002, 09:49 PM
the pocket version is free on microsofts web site

Malacandra
08-05-2002, 03:07 AM
the pocket version is free on microsofts web site

The problem with MS Money for Pocket PC is that it isn't really a standalone program. It's more of a data collection tool. YOu can enter transactions but the reports and everything are limited to the desktop version.

Spark: There is the option in Catamount's software to include accoutn numbers, etc. But you don't have to. At least then there is nothing personal. Perhaps you should try a checkbook program and couple it with something like Ilium Software's Ewallet?

ironguy
08-05-2002, 04:04 PM
This might fit what you're looking for and then some. HanDBase is a fairly straightforward database program for the PocketPC. On their website, there are thousands of free databases called applets. There are some checking account ones available. With HanDBase, you can encrypt your database as well as set a password. You can even choose which data fields to encrypt. I have found this program to be very useful. You can use the applets already available or make your own. The latest version (3) also makes use of forms for entering or editing your data. You could create one that has your checking entry fields and keeps a running track of your balance. There's a demo available. Here's the link:
:)
www.ddhsoftware.com

Sparkomatic
08-05-2002, 04:42 PM
Thanks for all the responses!

I'm trying out Money Minder & Pocket Money right now. I like them both but really can't see spending $30 on Pocket Money. It does reports (which I don't need) and has a little piggy for an icon (which I really like). But $30 for a piggy icon is a little too much for me! :D