View Full Version : 20,000+ posts and counting!

Jason Dunn
08-01-2002, 07:01 AM
Just shy of our sixth month anniversary (apparently I can't count when I said five months), we've broken past the 20,000 post mark. Thanks to all of YOU, the people who contribute to this vibrant community, this site has grown beyond a simple news site. It has become a community where, as I walk down the virtual "streets", I see names and avatars that I recognize, and the unique personalities of everyone as they share their thoughts on everything Pocket PC. If you're still a lurker, never having posted, come on in! No one will bite. In honour of our 20,000 posts, here's looking back at some of the numbers...<br /><br />• 244 posts by Jason bragging about how great the Pocket PC is*<br />• 243 posts by Jason complaining about ActiveSync, dust, or another Pocket PC issue*<br />• 201 posts where we jab Palm with a pointy stick*<br />• 71 posts by Marlof wondering about what digital camera to get*<br />• 43 posts by Andy where he says "I love Microsoft"*<br />• 34 posts by Ed complaining about Bluetooth*<br />• 38 posts by Duncan complaining about Ed complaining about Bluetooth*<br />• 29 posts by Foo Fighter saying "I'd buy a Pocket PC if it only had [insert quasi-mythical feature here]"*<br />• 25 posts by Brad where he gets really excited about something and is the only one, but inspires others through sheer exuberance*<br />• 22 posts by people who found a lower price on an affiliate-linked product and felt it was a service to the community to post it, thus undermining the utterly feeble attempt by Jason to earn a few bucks and utterly crushing his spirit*<br />• 1 thread about aspartame that got pretty crazy*<br /><br />*All of these numbers are completely fabricated of course. Who has time to count posts anyway?<br /><br />What are some of your favourite threads from this site since February? The most noteworthy news, the titillating tip, the most constructively critical comment? What discussions had you coming back again and again?

JonnoB
08-01-2002, 07:22 AM
And the overall ratio of valid posts where people had put in real 'thought' to what they were saying versus just increasing their post count?

1:3

kagayaki1
08-01-2002, 07:24 AM
XDA... I can't believe it's finally here, after months and months of posting about it. Thank you to all our friends across the Atlantic for giving us a "preview" in these posts - it truly has kept me going until tonight, where I now hold a shiny, beautiful XDA in my hands.

There have been so many people that have sent links, etc.

One of the threads with the most useful links I ever found was the discussion on Small Form Factor CPUs. Thank you for everyone who posted links to various sites; bravo to Shuttle for coming out with the SS51 w/AGP. There were truly an incredible number of links in that thread.

Oh, and when people take the time to do incredible research. Who knew Steve Balmer was going to have a conference call about AT&T and MS partnership? Usually, we only get the press releases. And when someone discovered the FCC filing for the XDA - BRILLIANT! I've bookmarked the page and found all kinds of products coming down the pipe. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Pony99CA
08-01-2002, 07:59 AM
And the overall ratio of valid posts where people had put in real 'thought' to what they were saying versus just increasing their post count?

1:3

Kind of like that posting, eh? You're a Thinker, Jonno, you can relax now. :lol:

Seriously, one of my favorite threads was the Time-Warner WiFi sharing thread. It's amazing how clueless some people can be, as if the computing world is somehow intrinsically different from the rest of the world.

Steve

Venturello
08-01-2002, 08:56 AM
22 posts by people who found a lower price on an affiliate-linked product and felt it was a service to the community to post it, thus undermining the utterly feeble attempt by Jason to earn a few bucks and utterly crushing his spirit*

Darn this just made me feel bad about people...

Sorry Jason it is so hard and we give back so little for such a wealth of information and a nice site. You guys make a good team, and I am very grateful for it. Bought through affiliate links before, I dont care if I could save 5 or 10 dollars buying from some cheap website when I could help you guys.

Best wishes, and thanks again!!

Juan Miguel Venturello

Jonathon Watkins
08-01-2002, 12:13 PM
Jason, what's your day job (apart from this)? I can't find any info about you on the site. The 'About' link is currently blank with 'Coming soon' in it.

What happens when PPC keeps growing to 20,000 posts a year, then 20,000 a month? Some of us have been at websites where that happened. If you keep up the good work - the people will keep coming, and more and more of them will.

Are you going to be able to keep this show on the road? We would really want that to happen, but is Pocket PC thoughts sustainable for the future?

Ed Hansberry
08-01-2002, 12:36 PM
Seriously, one of my favorite threads was the Time-Warner WiFi sharing thread. It's amazing how clueless some people can be, as if the computing world is somehow intrinsically different from the rest of the world.
It is different. I read an article on the internet that said so. :lol:

Fed up
08-01-2002, 01:25 PM
Besides, Al Gore didn't invent the real world, therefore they must be different :wink:

Jason Dunn
08-01-2002, 03:09 PM
Jason, what's your day job (apart from this)? I can't find any info about you on the site. The 'About' link is currently blank with 'Coming soon' in it.

What's my day job? Gosh, good question...most days it's working on this site. ;-) For nearly two years (2000 to 2002) I was making a living off of writing and Pocket PC Evangelism. PocketPC.com content articles, assorted marketing contracts for Microsoft, doing the Mobile Experience Tour (two months in 2001), launching PocketPC.com (lived in Redmond for two months in 2000), worked a few trade shows. I also wrote a couple of books (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-url/index=books&field-keywords=jason%20dunn&bq=1/002-6469480-0307208), did some (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0735615020/jasonsego) tech editing (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0072223332/jasonsego). In January of 2002, PocketPC.com shifted gears and I was out of my main gig. Without really doing it on purpose, I had become a professional writer. :-) Since then, I've been sort of pondering what I want to do. I'm working on a new book, and possibly another one after that, but it's really hard to make a living being an author. The advertising revenues from this site help a little, but I can't live off that either. But I'd say I spent 70% of my day working on this site. The other 30% is an attempt to pay my bills. ;-) The last six months have been pretty rough to be honest.

What happens when PPC keeps growing to 20,000 posts a year, then 20,000 a month? Some of us have been at websites where that happened. If you keep up the good work - the people will keep coming, and more and more of them will. Are you going to be able to keep this show on the road? We would really want that to happen, but is Pocket PC thoughts sustainable for the future?

Is it sustainable? I believe so. I have a great team of people helping me, and a great community forming around this site. Nothing would thrill me more than being able to make a living off of running this site, doing nothing but making it kick ass for you guys, but currently that's not possible. If I introduce some enhanced subscription services and they take off, and if I get a larger core of advertisers that renew repeatedly, it just might happen.

I suppose that the short answer to your question is that I'm a "Professional Writer". :D

JonnoB
08-01-2002, 03:46 PM
I suppose that the short answer to your question is that I'm a "Professional Writer". :D

... and with the amount of writing you've done just for this site, it is nothing but great practice. I hope other manufacturers and developers of software see the value in the community created by this site and invest in this site allowing you to continue this great service.