View Full Version : Casio, oh my Casio, wherefore art thou my Casio?

Jason Dunn
07-31-2002, 09:12 PM
A contact of mine at Casio has confirmed that they are no longer shipping E-200's in the US market, but they will continue to sell accessories for it and support it. They will continue to sell the BE-300 and Pocket Viewer products, but don't count them out yet. Without going into any specifics, my contact told me that Casio is continuing to work on new handheld designs, some consumer, some vertical. Whether they will ship with the Pocket PC OS or WindowsCE.net, he couldn't say.<br /><br />I was hoping for more information, but Casio is being pretty tight-lipped about this decision. When I know more, you'll know more.

Arne Hess
07-31-2002, 09:50 PM
A contact of mine at Casio has confirmed that they are no longer shipping E-200's in the US market

Bad, I really liked my E-200... :cry:
Hope to see Casio with Windows CE.Net / Pocket PC 4.0/5.0/6.0 back in the game!

Foo Fighter
07-31-2002, 10:10 PM
Nice to hear Casio isn't giving up so easy. Maybe next time they will design a better PDA.

johncruise
07-31-2002, 10:24 PM
Maybe next time they will design a better PDA.

They did... multimedia enriched PDA, superb screen display, and a very very durable PDA. That's until E-200. If I were able to view my E-115 outdoors as good as the E-200, I wouldn't have bought it. Anyway, with all the features E-200 is offering me, it is worth my $600.

Foo Fighter
07-31-2002, 10:30 PM
They did... multimedia enriched PDA, superb screen display, and a very very durable PDA. That's until E-200. If I were able to view my E-115 outdoors as good as the E-200, I wouldn't have bought it. Anyway, with all the features E-200 is offering me, it is worth my $600.

E-200 was a HUGE step backwards from the previous designs. As you correctly pointed out, the early models were very...very rugged. No cheap creaking or thin plastic. They were built to last..although they were also VERY bulky. By contrast, the E200 has a cheap painted plastic shell and feels almost like a toy in your hands. I was shocked at Casio for even considering this design. I would love to see them offer a slightly modified EM-500 with a thinner design, and transflective LCD. I'd buy it! :)

Ed Hansberry
07-31-2002, 10:48 PM
I would love to see them offer a slightly modified EM-500 with a thinner design, and transflective LCD. I'd buy it! :)

And expansion. SD/MMC is fine, but until we have SD modems, ethernet and 802.11b, CF has to be an option in some form. That is why I could never use my EM500 as my sole device. :-(

Dr. Smooth
08-01-2002, 02:23 PM
... but they will continue to sell accessories for it and support it.

Unless that accessory happens to be the 20 Pin/USB Host Converter, which would allow you to connect serial accessories to the E-200. It's been on backorder since January, and some resellers don't expect to ever get more.

:?