View Full Version : What case do you have for your IpaQ??

v19george
07-31-2002, 04:45 PM
:?: I would like know, What case everyone has? and Where did you get it? :D

Jeff Rutledge
07-31-2002, 10:32 PM
I have a few VAJA cases, a 3800 case from Handheldplanet (but the clip broke off) as well as an old iHolster (I think that's what it was called).

Now though, unless I'm at home and my iPAQ is in the sleeve using my wireless PC card, my 3870 never leaves the VAJA i-Volution case. It's expensive, but it's an incredible case (www.vajacases.com).

v19george
08-01-2002, 04:49 PM
ANYONE ELSE??? I REALLY WANT TO KNOW, I DON'T WANNA GET THE WRONG CASE!!!

PLEASE!

Jason Dunn
08-01-2002, 05:02 PM
First up, typing in all caps MEANS THAT YOU'RE SHOUTING AT PEOPLE.

People don't like to be shouted at. :D

I personally don't use a case most of the time, but if you've got the $$$ to spend, the Vaja iVolution cases are incredible. If you want something cheaper, www.handheldplanet.com has some solid cases.

Sanjay Srikonda
08-01-2002, 06:41 PM
I use a piel frama case bc i have an ipaq 3850+Silver Slider 2.

there was a whole HUGE thread here and on brighthand.

A little due diligence is all that is necessary since most of these questions have been asked ad nauseum before.

but, again, like any other free advice, it's worth what you pay for it.

topps
08-03-2002, 12:35 AM
:?: I would like know, What case everyone has? and Where did you get it? :D

We have tried a number of cases.

1. Vaja - beautiful! Very impressive...BUT...the leather stretches slightly over time, making for a loose fit. Also the stud snapped off within two weeks with MINIMAL trauma. Warranty repair justified at the least, if not replacement...obviously they have a different biz model in S America - nada responses to my messages.

Verdict: Too expensive. Avoid.

2. EB Cases Slipper - elastic back works well. Not as pretty as Vaja. Elastic back also allows the case to snag on chairs, doors etc without ripping the stud off the back of the case. Original style clip is a bit naff. Now they have changed to the more robust style stud connector, should be better. Velcro closure quick but wears out.

3. Grinder Gear - neat outdoors style cases but not easy access to device.

4. Currently using a Krusell case - more robust elastic sides than EB Cases. Excellent range of attachment clips, some of which are indestructible. Best we've tried yet.

Do a Google search on Krusell and PocketPC cases and you should find the supplier/distributor. Made in Germany. Not bad value. Solidly made yet quite stylish. Snap closure (so credit card mag stripe ok) and better slots for cred cards and SD cards (which I haven't seen in other cases)

nutshell
08-03-2002, 02:47 PM
Depends on what you want your case to do for you. :wink:
If you want it to add to the overall size of your handheld then there are many cases available that will fit your needs.
But if you want it to protect your computer and NOT add anything to the overall size/dimensions, check out a Nutshell.
Our cases are, in effect, genuine leather holsters that clip on your belt with either a strong steel 'Made in the USofA' belt clip ... or a unique belt loop 'patch' that lets you thread your belt through so that the holster sits either up and down, or sideways, or on an angle, right snug up next to your body. Your choice.
We make them so that they actually fit the computer - for the iPAQ you have to select which model you need; there's one for the computer by itself, and several others that fit the different expansion jackets available - depending on the 'thickness' of the jacket.
And we offer a three year guarantee - if you break it, we'll replace it!
Oh...and finally...if you don't wear a belt, you can clip a thin leather strap on to the belt clip model so that you can sling it over your shoulder or wear it bandolier style and hide it under your jacket.

topps
08-03-2002, 03:25 PM
Depends on what you want your case to do for you.

If you want it to add to the overall size of your handheld then there are many cases available that will fit your needs.
But if you want it to protect your computer and NOT add anything to the overall size/dimensions, check out a Nutshell.

Took a look. Good point about size. Some of these things stick out too far from your belt. But a good easy to use clip that is (a) secure (b) easy and quick to release is hard to find.

It looks like, with your design, the case stays on your belt and you pull the device out of the nutshell. Apologies if this is not the case (groan), as I am working from illustrations on your web site. We have found for our users that such a design is too slow and that they prefer to have a case which flips open easily and detaches from the belt easily.

You make an excellent point about belts. Our female colleagues are much less likely to wear belts. Still have not found a good solution for this yet.

nutshell
08-04-2002, 01:32 AM
IMHO vendors spend truck-loads of money designing their devices to be ergonomically acceptable.

Granted there are occasions when having a wrap would be cosmetically useful but our argument, for most activities, is why? Especially as developing trends in design make the 'naked' devices increasingly robust and seductive to hold (have you had a chance to heft T-Mobile's xda?).

That said...we also design and make industrial-strength reinforced leather fieldcases, for those really testing environments.

Our holsters mix-n-match across devices - upgrade your handheld and keep the holster.

On the clip side, offering either a steel clip or a belt loop 'patch' gives you a choice. Do you need to take the holster off your person during the day, or does it (and the device) become a natural extension of your attire?

Our clip attaches neatly to elastic topped pants - things like surgical scrubs...and trainers. And you can snap our strap to the D-ring.
The patch lets you angle the holster on your belt...so that it does not get in the way when you sit down.

We did consider 'removable' clips but they all seemed
a) too flimsy or complicated
b) too easily attacked by passing furniture.

The swivel clip on my Nokia phone lasted about a month.
Then I lost the belt bit.

The only thing that could slow you down with a Nutshell is the Velcro fastened safety strap - but even that has not come in for any criticism from existing users. If it did, we'd re-evaluate its use.

dcharles18
08-05-2002, 03:50 PM
a 3800 case from Handheldplanet (but the clip broke off)

Same thing happened to me. It was garbage.

Right now I just use the coverpack.

joparp
08-06-2002, 03:01 PM
Hi

Previously I was using the Cover Pack.

Now I'm using the carrying case that comes with the Silver Slider to protect my iPAQ.

:D

vicott
08-06-2002, 03:14 PM
i use the Inooch (http://www.inooch.com) case for naked iPAQ & the E&B Slipper for iPAQ with CF.
the Inooch case is cool 8) both of my cases can be fitted into the cradle to sync straight away 8)

EyePAQ
08-06-2002, 08:01 PM
Vaja special edition. Sticks to te back of the CF sleeve and fold over the front. I had to make a mod to allow my headphones jack fit better. My only complaint is that the button for the clip on the back is starting to get loose. I emailed Vaja, and haven't heard back from them.

snappy2515
08-07-2002, 06:36 PM
I just use the slip case that came with my ipaq 3700....but since there is no built in expansion :x i don't use a case when i have the CF expansion sleeve plus attached......

jgrnt1
08-08-2002, 05:44 AM
I use CF cards all the time, so I need to have a case which accommodates them. At first, I used a Franklin-Covey binder with the Compaq CF sleeve velcroed into it. Then I bought a Silver Slider 2 and used a neoprene I-Suit. Currently, I am using a Krussell Whitney CF Sleeve (madebywhitney.com). It is a Krussell leather case with a CF sleeve built into it. It has a Multidapt clip attachment on the back, which accepts several differnent clips and it even synchs in the cradle. I never take my iPAQ out of the case. Krussell makes the case and ships it to Whitney, who crams in the CF components. It's $99US, which isn't bad, considering the internal CF sleeve. Whitney used to have a deal with Vaja also, but their case was much more expensive. It looks like it has been removed from the site.