View Full Version : Is there a solution to accidental battery drain???

heyday
07-30-2002, 05:26 PM
Ok... there has go to be a solution to this.

Last week I went on vacation to Yellowstone. Almost each day I put my
PPC in my glove box and every night when I took it out when I was done
for the day low and behold it was drained down to 20%. I had turned
off all alarms I thought but I guess I had an alarm go off.

Anyways.... there has got to be some kind of tool to prevent this.
When I owned a Palm there was software that you could get that would
make it impossible for the unit to be turned on when hardwar buttons
were pushed and to turn it on you had to hit a hardware button then
the power button.

I wear mine on my belt and sometimes it turns on when I brush up
against something.

Anyone have a solution for this problem?

heyday

ECOslin
08-02-2002, 10:19 AM
Hi,

What I did was replace the power management program on my HPC CE device with 'Power supply properties' made by http://www.sbm.nu.

I also had available to me, the option of buying a 16 hour lithium battery pack.

Edward

Brad Adrian
08-03-2002, 02:54 AM
It doesn't sound like bumping the buttons is the problem; sitting in your glovebox shouldn't make it turn on.

Are you using any multimedia applications, like Media Player or Audible? For some reason, even when you close these apps, they don't completely unload. So, if you listen to MP3s, for example, turn off your device and leave it overnight, the battery may be dead by morning. All you need to do, though, is perform a soft reset after you're done using these apps. That will make sure that they're completely unloaded and the memory is reliquished.

ECOslin
08-03-2002, 10:04 AM
My IBM z50 will wake up at random times as though ghostly hands have hit the power button. It doesn't happen often, it can skip a week or a month. I'll just look over at it and see that it is on. My adding the other power supply monitering program I believe helped but hasn't stopped the occurances. Nothing more happens than it turns on, stays on for maybe a half hour and goes back off again.
I've heard some of the iPaqs do this as well.

Edward