View Full Version : Toshiba e740 wireless Help

ChrisL
07-27-2002, 03:00 PM
Hi I have a new Toshiba e740 and would like to get in the web with it but no one knows about it around here. Can some one please tell me the best way to do this or a good site to go and find out about this. Thanks Chris

spursdude
07-27-2002, 05:37 PM
ok, i'm assuming you want to get online using the wifi connection on your e740. first thing - do you have the hardware? you will need a wireless network, mainly revolving around a wireless access point. then, you need to configure that network, and then configure your e740 to get onto that network. i don't know about configuring, but somebody around here must.

ChrisL
07-27-2002, 11:20 PM
Thanks for the info I am new to this so I am in the dark with it what would be the best way to get on line. The wifi would be useing my home service.

Like I said I am very new to this so thanks for the info and would you have a good web site to go to. I would like to read up on this
Thanks Chris

willkess71
07-28-2002, 01:42 AM
Do you want to be able to surf just at home or when you are out an about?

Assuming you want to do this at home: Do you have an always on internet connection?

That should help folks give you an answer. I would look at the Socket DPC website for mobile internet or you can go to D-Link or Linksys for Home use.

ChrisL
07-28-2002, 06:03 AM
Sorry guys I would like to surf the web when I am out an about. The e740 is wireless and I would like to use it. No the internet connection is not no all the time.

the_rapture
07-29-2002, 09:29 AM
It depends on where you live if you want to get online with 802.11b. 802.11x is used for networking in a work place or home not for roaming around town like a cell phone. BUT that is changing. Checkout http://www.80211planet.com for hotspots. If you are looking for using 802.11b at home you need at a minium a wireless card in you desktop then you can use Ad-Hoc to connect to your desktop and then share your Internet connection using a proxy or MS Internet Connection Sharing. Once you have more details of what you want to do post back and I'm sure we can help you get setup.

vdospec
07-29-2002, 05:04 PM
ANYONE KNOW OF A COMPATIBLE KEYBOARD? TOSHOIBA SASY IN AUGUST MAYBE, LAST TIME I WAS TOLD IT WAS JULY 12.

I DID FIND A INFARED MICRO INNOVATIONS PORTABLE, VERY NICE, BUT IT SEEMS THE SOFTWARE ONLY LOOKS FOR A COMPAQ IPAQ OR HP JORNADA.

STUPID, MAKE IT LOOK FOR ALL POCKET PC'S, IT LOOKS FOR ALL PALMS.

vdospec
07-29-2002, 05:05 PM
Hi I have a new Toshiba e740 and would like to get in the web with it but no one knows about it around here. Can some one please tell me the best way to do this or a good site to go and find out about this. Thanks Chris

WHAT DO YOU WNT TO KNOW?

ChrisL
07-30-2002, 12:48 AM
Thanks for the help, vdospec I am new to this so I am look to get on line with my Toshiba and surf the web but I am not sure how to get started and what I will need to get.

Thinkingman
07-30-2002, 03:21 AM
Chrisl wants to use his e740 to borwse the internet anytime anywhere. So he wants to know what to do to be able to do that.
YOu are going to need to buy a compact flash card that is a modem.
You are going to need to use an ISP for the service.
The speed and service will vary depending on where you are travelign to/from. If you stay in your city the majority of the time then you should have a connection available most of the time.
There is a new card out that allows you to connect a pc card to a Compact flash adapter to put intoyour e740 so that you can have wireless internet anywhere/anytime. Unfortunately, I cant remember the name of the company. I think B&G or something like that. If someone else remembers please post it, i will look for it and post it if i get to it first.
Expenses could possibly include: modem, service, compact flash adaptor for pc card. There is more than one way to do it so I am not saying it is the only way, but it is a legitimate way to do it. So everyone please help out so He can get crackin with some good wireless service:)
David:)
YOu can use a mobile phone if you want but then it is a matter ofusing your minutes from the phone and I am not sure if you would want to do that.

the_rapture
07-30-2002, 07:46 PM
If you can find a Hot Spot for you 802.11b then you don't need to buy anything. If you don't have a hot spot then you'll need a Wireless modem like Thinkingman was saying, he may have ment a wired connect? But if you have one of the major carriers for Cell phone they all offer some sort of Data connection go over their web site and look for Data connections and it should give you all of the details and equipment.

ChrisL
07-30-2002, 11:30 PM
Thanks guys I will have to look in to that but like the rapture said I was thanking I did not need the hard ware. Is the web page The Source for 802.11b a good place to starte at for a good hot spot.

Thanks Thinkingman,the_rapture

Wingnut
08-20-2002, 04:44 PM
I was just reading when someone said that in order to connect an e740 to a WiFi network, I would need a WiFi card in my PC. Since I was going tomorrow to buy a D-Link wireless Router to replace my current non-wireless variety, I thought I would check.

Since I primarily want to surf the internet with my e740, and am not worried about sychronizing, is it better to simply get the router (and would this allow me to connect without my PC), or would a PC wireless network card afford me both options using a plane-jane router (sans wireless, albeit with my computer left on)

Thanks for the insight

Wingnut

mashtim
08-21-2002, 01:34 AM
Since I primarily want to surf the internet with my e740, and am not worried about sychronizing, is it better to simply get the router (and would this allow me to connect without my PC), or would a PC wireless network card afford me both options using a plane-jane router (sans wireless, albeit with my computer left on)

"Better" is a relative term. You'll probably find people who will swear by either method. They both will work, too. The only real difference is that with the PC Card route, you'll have to make sure your pc is running in order to use the wireless. I'm not sure, but I also think that this will lessen your effective wireless range.

Personally? I'd go the router route. I have a wireless router (D-Link DI-713P, with a print server built-in) and love it. My laptop with WiFi in it rarely gets used any more, now that I have my e740. There is nothing better than instant-on to quickly check your email, the weather forecast, sports scores, etc. Plus, I can leave the computer off altogether, until I need a larger keyboard or a PC-only program. The router also allows me to use either the laptop or (more often than not) the e740 while I'm on a lounger in the backyard, soaking up some sun (listening to mp3s). And, when there are reliable printing solutions out there for ppc, that'll rock as well. It'll also make it easier for your Wifi-ed friends to hop on your network and check their email.

After making you read all that, I'll boil it down for ya: router good, pc card bad.

the_rapture
08-21-2002, 03:08 AM
Router, you'll get more range and often more bandwidth.

Wingnut
08-21-2002, 03:48 PM
Thanks for the insight people, looks like my plans can roll on as planned!

ChrisL
08-25-2002, 05:12 AM
I thank I am getting closer. How fare from the rounter can you get
Thanks for the info

Wingnut
09-01-2002, 07:06 PM
Not as far as I'd like...

30 feet max (although router is in a basement)

the_rapture
09-02-2002, 03:23 AM
You could alway build an antena extender. They say you can get up to 2 miles. Just make sure there's no Airports near or you might get a knock on the door.