View Full Version : Warning! Compaq Bluetooth Wireless Pack with CF Card Slot

stroy
07-25-2002, 12:51 AM
I recently made the mistake of purchasing the Compaq Bluetooth Wireless Pack with CF Card Slot (CBWPCFCS).

The CFII Card slot has NO eject button, which makes it extremely awkward to remove my 1Gb IBM Microdrive.

IBM state in the user guide "Do not use the drive in CFII slots without an ejection mechanism") - but I didn't do my homework!

http://www-3.ibm.com/storage/hdd/tech/techlib.nsf/techdocs/B3695E49F8AFC67287256AC00064966E/$file/dscm_ig11.PDF

But the most ANNOYING "feature" of the CBWPCFCS is that everytime you turn on the iPAQ, it FAILS to recognise the storage card! - EVERYTIME! Compaq officially advise you to remove and reinsert the storage card EVERYTIME!

http://wwss1pro.compaq.com/support/reference_library/viewdocument.asp?source=MH020207_CW01.xml&dt=3

This is totally impractical, and unacceptable (especially without an eject button). Battery life alone dictates that iPAQ is frequently turned off and on. So I have shelved the CBWPCFCS until a fix is released.

Due to the inferior performance of the product I wanted to return it, but Compaq Support claim that because they made the information public on their website, that it is not covered by the product warranty.

I'd like to add that I was ONLY able to find the web based article with the assistance of a Compaq Support Rep, who gave me a complex reference code to search on.

What is your experience with the CBWPCFCS?

akolson
08-30-2002, 07:40 PM
I've had this problem, too. Anyone seen a fix yet?

bdeli
08-31-2002, 05:22 PM
Have the same setup myself with a 340MB Microdrive. I did not know that microdrives will not work...so now my 340MB is in my Canon S40...still very disappointed by the fact that it cannot read the microdrives and it is a real pain to eject a compact flash card - let alone the microdrive!

Johan
10-30-2002, 12:44 PM
I'm glad I found this post before getting a Microdrive! I've had the same problem with a APACER 256MB CF card. The card I have tested that works without reseating is the 128MB Sandisk card.

What other cards has anyone else used that works without having to be reseated? Please specify size and brand