View Full Version : Will the iPAQ be the death of the Clapper?

Ed Hansberry
07-24-2002, 01:00 PM
<a href="http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/business/technology/3719736.htm">http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/business/technology/3719736.htm</a><br /><br />We can only hope so. "After two decades of hype about 'smart' homes with computerized brains that control lights, stoves and stereos, 'The Clapper' still rules the living room."<br /><br />Universal Electronics thinks they may have the answer. "Universal Electronics executives say the addition of Nevo gives iPAQ users what they need to easily operate more than 20 different kinds of devices -- from televisions to DVD players to fans -- via the same hand-held computer that helps them keep track of telephone numbers and appointments. They're also positioning Nevo as the platform that will, at some future date, enable people to do such things as lower the temperature on their oven to prevent a roasting chicken from becoming a lump of charcoal while they're stuck in rush-hour traffic."

Jimmy Dodd
07-24-2002, 02:33 PM
The new iPAQ costs around $400

Which model is this? Surely he isn't talking about the 3900 series with the consumer grade IR port. Dang! I'm headin' for Best Buy! :wink:

This whole article reminds me of an ad for a washing machine (I'm not kidding - I think it was from Italy) that billed itself as the first Internet Connected washing machine that would allow you to control it remotely. Now I don't know why anyone would want to connect their washing machine to the Internet (after all, a washing machine isn't much good if you aren't standing in front of it to load the clothes into it) but it was rather proud of the fact.

Of course, I never saw much point in the Clapper, either. So what do I know. :roll:

---
Bwana Jim

mikeschmidt
07-24-2002, 03:09 PM
This would be great if only they could sell the iPaq for $50 and make it more resistent to breaking when dropped, drooled on by baby, chewed on by dog, knocked of counter, etc.....

I am on my third remote for our TV. At $500 it is a little pricey for this task.

Ravenswing
07-24-2002, 03:49 PM
Orange Telecoms in the UK put together this house with voice controlled light switches, and web pads, and Internet automated washing machines, and all that jazz. They let some families play in it for a few weeks at a time and studied the results.

Recently, they announced House 2.0. Rather than adding loads of new features in, they took a load out.

The most obvious one was the re-introduction of light switches. Everyone hated that sci-fi staple of walking into a room and yelling "lights!" Most of the clever home automation technology went to. Turns out people don't want to have a wap-enabled cooker either.

The only stuff everyone thought was cool was the entertainment system and the portable computers. Wow! What a surprise!

Fed up
07-24-2002, 04:00 PM
So while I'm upstairs reprogramming the IPAQ that I don't own, my wife will be downstairs with no clicker because I've converted to the IPAQ and thrown the other ones away. :?

Then when I come dowstairs the TV will still be on Sesame Street and dinner will be raw. 8O

Sometime too much technology is a bad thing...

possmann
07-24-2002, 06:17 PM
I'd love to give this a shot - what was that product that came out in a CF card - basically did the "same" thing and up'ed the power of the IR so you could actually use it from across the room?

I'm looking at getting at getting the LOOX - eventually (waiting on them) and giving my iPaq to my wife - she just wants the contact & calendar portion, but with something like this, she could do much more...

We are going the right way in making the house more automated.