View Full Version : You'll Flip Out at this Flip-top iPAQ Case

Jason Dunn
07-22-2002, 07:00 PM
<a href="http://reviews.pocketnow.com/content.cgi?db=reviews&id=266">http://reviews.pocketnow.com/content.cgi?db=reviews&id=266</a><br /><br />Jason Machtemes, Contributing Editor at pocketnow.com, takes a look at a new Inooch case for the iPAQ 3800 series. Looks like a nice case!<br /><br />"Since I bought my 3800 iPAQ I had been carrying it around it the standard case that it came with, you know the one with the clear cover on a hinge. I thought that this was the coolest thing, but that soon changed after the cover kept getting scratched and started to look kind of junky. So I wanted to check out a case, I have somewhat of a case fetish if you will. I must have about 10 spare ones that are collecting dust in a drawer somewhere in my house. I wanted a case that had no zippers and no Velcro; for me these are two things that I can't stand in a case. So, finally I came upon the Inooch case for my 3800 iPAQ. This leather case is handmade and has all the necessary cut outs for the iPAQ so you can access all the buttons that you want. In the remainder of the article we will look at all the features that make this a great case."

Golfer
07-22-2002, 07:29 PM
The case looks nice :) However the fact that it cannot sync-in-cradle whilst still in case is a big let down :cry: :cry: (just my opinion)

I was thinking about the Vaja I-Volution which can sync-in-cradle. Does anyone know of any others that can?

djl
07-22-2002, 08:12 PM
Jason:
Thanks for the tip. It looks like a great case.

Do you know if this case will work with the compact flash sleeve? I've been wanting to leave the sleeve attached, especially now since i use an 802.11b wireless card at home, but I hate to leave the iPAQ screen exposed. I end up taking the sleeve off and using the plastic cover that ships with the iPAQ. There are some cases out there that will accomodate a compact flash sleeve, but they can be pretty costly (+$100).

You do a great job with this site, by the way.

Regards.

DJL

Jason Dunn
07-22-2002, 08:16 PM
Do you know if this case will work with the compact flash sleeve?

I don't have the case, so I'm not 100% sure, but the makers will usually indicate that it works with sleeves. I don't see any indication of that in the review - check out www.vajacases.com for some cases that will work with your iPAQ and a CF sleeve. Expensive, but lovely.

Glad you like the site. :D

Jimmy Dodd
07-22-2002, 08:26 PM
That's a nice looking case. I especially like the magnetic closure and the color options.

I have used the same case for quite a while now. I bought it at Office Depot or Office Max or somewhere like that. It was designed for the HP 540 series (I had a 548 when I bought it) but it fits my Maestro Audiovox just fine. Some of the cut outs don't match (OK, all of them don't match) but I don't feel that I've lost anything that I use by covering up the IR port. Best of all it cost only $15 or so.

The only problem I have with the case is that it tends to turn on the Maestro when it is in my pocket by pressing one of the app buttons. It did this on my Jornada too. I wound up turning off the "turn on by pressing app key" option.

---
Bwana Jim

disconnected
07-22-2002, 08:48 PM
I bought an Inooch case for my iPAQ 3970 after reading some nice comments about it in a thread on PocketPCPassion. I think it's a gorgeous case, and it fits the iPAQ better than the Vaja case I'd been using on my 3835. Vaja changed the case style from the 3600 series to the 3800 series, and the newer style is open on the bottom; I don't think it fits as well or looks as good as the old style.

I have somewhat of a case fetish also. I now have cases from Inooch, Vaja, Pielframa, Fossil, Compaq, and a few others. I'm using the Inooch for an everyday case now, at least outside of the house. When I'm at home, or travelling by plane, I use a zippered Fossil case that holds the iPAQ and PC slider, because that way I have the extra battery. I'm ok with zippers, but I will not use Velcro. (I'm female, and carry a large shoulder bag everywhere, so I don't do belt clips either).

Golfer
07-22-2002, 09:30 PM
Disconnected - I'm interested that you've tried so many cases. I'm looking for one for my iPAQ 3850 with a flip cover and magnetic closure, however it must sync-in-cradle. Do you have any suggestions :?: I was thinking of the Vaja I-volution although Pielframa look good quality but not sure if they sync-in-cradle. Not too worried about the cost just want to get the right case right first time :lol:

Thanks in advance

disconnected
07-22-2002, 10:28 PM
Golfer,

Sorry, I've never had a case that was totally reliable for syncing.

It's never been an issue for me because I generally switch cases when I get home at night, and that's when I normally sync it. Of all the many features of cases (style, colors, bulk, screen-framing, etc), that's just not been a feature I care about. All those other features are an issue all the time, but it only takes a few seconds maybe once a day to remove a case for syncing, so I'm not sure why people care so much about it.

Jeff Rutledge
07-22-2002, 10:29 PM
Disconnected - I'm interested that you've tried so many cases. I'm looking for one for my iPAQ 3850 with a flip cover and magnetic closure, however it must sync-in-cradle. Do you have any suggestions :?: I was thinking of the Vaja I-volution although Pielframa look good quality but not sure if they sync-in-cradle. Not too worried about the cost just want to get the right case right first time :lol:

Thanks in advance

Don't mean to jump into a conversation here, but I've had many cases in my time, including a few different VAJA cases and, recently, the 3800 case from handheldplanet.com. Unfortunately, I haven't tried an Inooch or Piel Frama which seem to be the closest to the VAJA 3800 case. Incidentally, I don't like the 3800 VAJA case. I dont' like what they did with the leather surrounding the directional pad and application buttons.

Having said that, I did pick up in I-volution case. It's without a doubt the best case I've ever had. It's simply impressive. The clip is tough, the case is small and wow is it good looking. I also really like the SD slots on the inside cover.

Like I say, I haven't seen the Inooch or Piel Frama close up, but I think they're very close to the original VAJA cases (of which I've owned 3). The I-volution case is way beyond those in my opinion. Also, as far as VAJA durability goes, my first VAJA case is almost 2 years old and still looks great (I gave it to a co-worker about 6 months ago).

Also, the I-volution case is the first 3800 case I've had that can sync in the cradle without any problem.

Hope that gives you some info. Yeah, they're expensive (esp. for me as I'm up in Canada...exchange...shipping...duty...$$$), but I am completely satisfied with my purchase.

Wow...that turned out to be much more evangelical than I thought :)

disconnected
07-22-2002, 11:51 PM
JR,

I have enough cases.....I have enough cases.....I have enough cases :!:

But I have been looking at the pictures of the I-volution for a while. It's so different that it's hard to get a sense of what it's like from the pictures. Does it seem bulkier than the regular Vaja cases?

Jason Dunn
07-22-2002, 11:53 PM
Does it seem bulkier than the regular Vaja cases?

No, not really. It's a "hard" case, so it seems like it should, but if you lay both cases side by side, there's no real difference.

Golfer
07-23-2002, 12:17 AM
JR - Thanks for interrupting :D I've been looking for a case since January and I think the Vaja I-Volution could be it. I opened 2 windows on my desktop and compared pictures of both the Pielframa and Vaja I-Volution and I definately prefer the Vaja (just my opinion). I like the way the Vaja leaves the area around the buttons clear of any 'cross-beam' or covering around the bottom lip like many cases. Also the sync-in-cradle does it for me. There's a good review on http://reviews.pocketnow.com/content.cgi?db=reviews&id=265

I know what you mean about the price (it'll cost even more to get it to the UK :( not sure if they have a distributor :?: ) but I think it will be worth it.

JR - Does the case begin to mark where it comes into contact with the cradle ?