View Full Version : Can't take it anymore!

ricktakagi
07-19-2002, 04:12 PM
Hi all,

Is anyone else having the problem of their e740 losing the activesync connection in the middle of a sync? Please tell me this is a fixable problem.

Also, has anyone noticed that the ac cord slips out of the cradle easily? Mine seems to also come out and find it's way into the wire jungle under my desk......there, I feel better now.

Rick

handheldplanet
07-19-2002, 05:53 PM
My e740 does the same thing whether connected via the cradle or the WiFi network - it's so annoying!

As for the power cord, mine fits just great - no problems whatsoever.

I've seen a lot of complaints about the Activesync disconnection on the brighthand boards.

Jorj Bauer
07-19-2002, 06:49 PM
My e740 does the same thing whether connected via the cradle or the WiFi network - it's so annoying!

To offer the other position: I've had no problems syncing my e740 via WiFi. I wonder if it's related to the base station, or if it's a local activesync configuration issue, or if it's related to the power drain on the device. Hopefully, I'll never know... :roll:

MobiliT
07-19-2002, 10:13 PM

As for the power cord, mine fits just great - no problems whatsoever.
Yep, ditto. :roll: Every PDA I have owned has had something annoying. iPaq with dust, Jornada 568 squealing when recharging.
Oh well. I'm really enjoying that wireless baby! :wink:

Arminius
07-20-2002, 05:13 AM
I called Toshiba tech support and they told me that it was a known problem and they are researching it. They never mentioned what the problem was however.

Thinkingman
07-21-2002, 03:40 PM
Maybe you werent told what the problem is because Toshiba themselves dont know about it as well. Since they are researching it that is good, and hopefully soon will come up with a solution. Other than that your e740 is working great, correct?
I agree, it seems every pda i have bought there has always at least been one thing. If there is something wrong then they find what is causing the problem and they fix it. basically using technology to imporve technology, and using the buyer (consumers) to improve technology as well. This is because when we use the pda we are putting it in a real world environment, and as the flaws are found then they are corrected.:)

drctx
08-15-2002, 03:27 PM
just bought an e740 last week. i seem to have the same problem. it will stay connected through the usb cradle for about an hour and half then it dissconnects. sometimes it disconnects sooner. if i turn the e740 off then back on, take it out of the cradle then put it back in, or if i run ASreboot.exe it will reconnect for a while.

Jason Dunn
08-15-2002, 03:57 PM
Check for BIOS updates for your motherboard. I hate to say this, but not all USB chipsets are created equal, and a lot of the flaky behaviour we see is from misbehaving motherboards rather than being a problem with the Pocket PC. :? I was having similar problems on my computer, then one day I did a BIOS update and voila - 100% stable now.

drctx
08-15-2002, 04:11 PM
i used a ipaq pocket pc for about 2 years and never had this problem. i'm checking on updating drivers, software, and hardware.

TJNoff
08-15-2002, 04:54 PM
Same one hour timeout problem issue here running XP Pro on a Dell Latitude. Went to Toshiba's chat support and got the "They're working on it" reply. No ETR, still. No support bulletin about this issue on their site to keep us updated, which I suggested.

I never had this problem with my Philips Nino! :x

Gremmie
08-15-2002, 11:43 PM
The Toshiba sync problem is pretty well known, for some reason it reminds me of the Palm sync problem--static electricity anyone?

PC Boy
08-18-2002, 05:30 AM
I don't think it would be a static problem.

lonewolf69
08-31-2002, 02:14 PM
Hi guys,

I'm a very VERY fresh NEWBIE when it comes to PocketPC but an OLD hack from PALM OS... Just switched over to Toshiba E740 PocketPC... :)

I do NOTICE that after a while the connection between PDA and PC does stop BUT the $64,000.00 question is why should it matter?

Coming from a PALM OS you only need to cradle when charging or when you need to sync... So as long as the unit is "CHARGING" in the cradle why do you need an connection... Sorry for being "obtuse"...

Thanks in advance for the explanation...

-Alex

spursdude
08-31-2002, 06:41 PM
the connection with the computer breaks off while it's updating your pocket pc. so, for example, it's syncing your 5th out of 11 new contacts, and then boom it can't sync the rest.

you always want it to keep the connection while syncing so as to get all your stuff synchronized in one shot, without having to reconnect it.

not so much about the power connection, but synchronization with the computer.

Steven Cedrone
08-31-2002, 08:27 PM
Coming from a PALM OS you only need to cradle when charging or when you need to sync... So as long as the unit is "CHARGING" in the cradle why do you need an connection... Sorry for being "obtuse"...

Thanks in advance for the explanation...

-Alex

Alex,

With the Palm, you push a button to perform a sync operation, otherwise it just sits in the cradle and charges. With Pocket PC, there are no buttons to push, by default the device is continually updated while it sits in the cradle. If the ActiveSync connection is lost, you no longer have that functionality.

Steve

lonewolf69
08-31-2002, 09:11 PM
Steven,

I treat the PocketPC more like a BLACKBERRY/RIM device SYNC when plugged in or manually hit the "sync" button...

But aside from that is there a reason why it needs to be coniguously updating? (scratching my head...)

Please believe me I'm being SINCERE here, I'm not trying to rattle a hornet's next or stir the flames, I just want to understand? So besides the contiguous updating feature is there any other reason (eg, special program requirements...)

Thanks,

-Alex

Steven Cedrone
08-31-2002, 11:18 PM
But aside from that is there a reason why it needs to be continuously updating? (scratching my head...)

Alex,

Think about it this way: You've been working for hours (updating contacts, etc.), you get a call and you have to run out the door...

With the Palm, you would have to push a button and wait to get sync'd. With the Pocket PC, you can just grab it and go, the device is continuously updated while in the cradle...

Steve

lonewolf69
09-01-2002, 04:56 PM
Steve,

Thanks for the reply! :)

Now I gotcha!!!

I see now why I didn't get it before, as personally I enter all DATA on PDA/Handheld and then use the PC as backup (holdover from the PALM days!!!), that's why I didn't see it before...

-Alex

the_rapture
09-02-2002, 02:51 AM
I have the same problem can't wait for it to get fixed. When I sync my Mazingo it always seems to disconnect before it's done. I'm using XP pro how many others are having the same problem but with a different OS? And I use WiFi with all power management turned off.

BugDude10
09-20-2002, 02:13 AM
I've had my e740 for almost a week, and tried to do a complete sync about a dozen times. (I don't leave it in constant-sync mode: I'd prefer to avoid the delay caused by the frequent piecemeal syncs and save the wear & tear on the device being on all the time.) I believe that every time, the device has locked up during the final item (AvantGo). It seems to have completed the update (I think), but AS just spins its wheels and the device just sits there. (If I try to switch to AS on the device to close it manually, the task switcher (Scott's PocketNav) just sits there. I have to remove the device from the cradle and soft-reset it.)

For me, as long as AS finishes the job, the problem isn't a deal-breaker; however, it's an inconvenience that shouldn't exist. (C'mon, Toshiba, show the PPC market what you're made of!)

Steven Cedrone
09-20-2002, 03:20 AM
If you uncheck to update Avantgo, do you still have problems completing the sync operation?

Just curious...

Steve

medic119
09-20-2002, 03:06 PM
I had a strange problem similar to that and doing two things resolved it completely.

1) Assign IPs to your computers and PDA. Why do you need DHCP anyway if you are on a home netwrok with 2 or 3 PCS.

2) Get pocket Hosts and make entries regarding the IPS /Hostnames of the other PCs. Its free.

3) Fo some reason I think my device was having problems resolving the hostname to IP since the IPs were dynamically asigned.

RLBorg
09-20-2002, 03:27 PM
Has ActiveSync 3.6 solved this problem? I have heard that it has solved some peoples problems.

Charles Pickrell
09-20-2002, 06:23 PM
I have the same problem can't wait for it to get fixed. When I sync my Mazingo it always seems to disconnect before it's done. I'm using XP pro how many others are having the same problem but with a different OS? And I use WiFi with all power management turned off.

Mazingo doesn't work through ActiveSync. It uses it's own conduit over the IP connection. ActiveSync has no Idea that Mazingo is still working and drops teh connection. Did you know that Mazingo can sync over WiFi without the help from the desktop client. On the Pocket PC go to the Update menu and select All Items. You must have the local settings also set on the Pocket PC under the File menu.

the_rapture
09-20-2002, 08:46 PM
When I was using Active Sync, Mazingo would only connect as long as AS kept a connection. It's working now without AS connected so I'm not real sure what I did, but it's contacting the servers through it's own connection now over WiFi instead of through AS. I think when I had the problem I was connecting through USB so that's why it used AS's connection.