View Full Version : What can InfraRed do ?

Martin I Pettinger
07-16-2002, 09:52 PM
I thought I read a post somewhere about super fast IR - 4 Mb/s. The current standard maybe 115 kps - apologies if I am mixing and matching by bits and bytes. Is this for new devices cause it sounds like new hardware to me.

At work I have successfully set up a colleagues Windows 2000 machine to sync with his Jornada 540 via IR and he is delighted. The Windows 2000 machine also recognises his new Nokia mobile phone which is GPRS or GRPS (never can remember)

Unfortunately I have a Windows NT4 machine and as I understand it that means no IR for me. I am intrigued however with these IR remote control programs you can buy. I thought that the range of IR was about 50cm and although I need glasses I do not sit that close to the television.

I'd love to know more as WiFi is a wee bit away for our company at present and WiFi in general isn't appearing in coffee shops in Scotland yet. I also do not have a CF slot as I own an iPAQ 3850 though I am tempted to by a CF sleeve at present. Look forward to some comments.