View Full Version : DOCUMENTED iPAQ PROBLEMS

dwprice
07-16-2002, 08:30 PM
I'd like to try an experiment. If everyone posts documented iPaq problems in this thread it will result in a repository of iPaq problems for (a) people in newsgroups who want to know what the deal is with iPaqs before buying; and (b) Compaq people to look at. I suggest putting the model number in the subject line and a description of the problem.

Maybe this will turn into an online FAQ for iPaqs?

This is NOT meant to be a Q&A thread like the other threads. It is only for common documented problems and solutions.

dwprice
07-16-2002, 08:31 PM
An intermittent problem. Sometimes the backlight will not engage on the display even after turning the unit on and off or playing with the backlight settings.

Some people have sent their unit back for repair. Some have had the "inverter" replaced with success some without. Some have been told there is nothing wrong with their unit.

dwprice
07-16-2002, 08:39 PM
The SD Card slot on the 3850 does not support SD/IO and so can only be used with memory cards.

dwprice
07-16-2002, 08:40 PM
The 3850 has been reported to have problems reading large SD cards (ie 64mb and higher) from SanDisk corporation.

Jason Dunn
07-16-2002, 08:48 PM
The 3850 has been reported to have problems reading large SD cards (ie 64mb and higher) from SanDisk corporation.

FWIW, I have a 128 Sandisk card and haven't had any problems with the card in other Pocket PCs, but in the 3870 it "disappeared" on me once. Only once, but it was kinda' odd.

Jeff Rutledge
07-16-2002, 08:53 PM
iPAQ suddenly turns itself off without reason and at random (new post-ROM 2.20 problem).

malott
07-17-2002, 12:47 AM
Could not get zio golf or sim city to work on xscale ipaq may not be compatible.

dwprice
07-18-2002, 01:31 AM
Compaq promises ROM update on June 15. ROM update is designed to fix problems with iPaqs.

The date slips to June 24. Then July 8. Then July 15. Each time, Compaq doesn't bother telling anyone OR even updating their online notification service which is designed for this sort of thing.

As of today, there is still no news. People in the newsgroups write in to Compaq and are (a) directed to the end user update from Microsoft; and (b) told they have no idea when the ROM update will come.

Compaq is invited to post to newsgroup. Compaq replies that it does not do that as it supplies info only on its own web site.

dwprice
07-18-2002, 08:35 PM
Before buying an iPaq, read the following thread on Compaq's track record:

http://discussion.brighthand.com/showthread.php?s=f025ebefd24698e382f92cd460062e5b&threadid=52621

dwprice
07-18-2002, 08:43 PM
Compaq gets a C+ grading on customer satisfaction for the iPaq in the 2002 PC Mag poll. Download the .PDF file to see the chart from this address:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,4149,364596,00.asp

In the chart note the rating for (a) reliability; and (b) units needing repair in first 12 months.

Dave Conger
07-18-2002, 09:20 PM
Remember dwprice, Compaq/HP has to be able to reproduce the problems and then has to find them as being a large issue. I have a Quality Assurance background and trust me, it isn't as simple as seeing or hearing about a problem. The QA professionals probably have to go through the following steps...
1. Find the bug (though you see it, they might not be able to get it to happen).
2. Reproduce this bug on multiple devices to show it is a problem and not isolated. Though isolated problems sometimes get address, they are rated with a lower severity. Some companies don't address bugs that can't be reproduced or happen randomly.
3. The bug get brought up in a "bug scrub" which the issue is given a severtiy and deadline for when it should be fix or simply just looked at by.
4. The developer assigned to the issue open has to talk to the QA person who found the bug so they can reproduce it. If the bug cannot be traced and isn't a show stopping issue, then it often isn't fixed.
5. Developers look at and try to fix the bug and return a new build/patch to QA for testing.

Somewhere in there, some also decides if the bug is worthwhile to even think about. I am not trying to rain on your parade of reporting these issues, but I think that people should realize why Compaq and other companies don't just fix your issue when you report it. Hardware and software are sold to you everyday with hundreds of known issues....Compaq isn't doing anything different the other major software and hardware companies do.

dwprice
07-19-2002, 05:21 PM
In response to "pdadave", this is a forum for listing problems with the iPaq so potential consumers and Compaq can see what the issues are. The decision to fix them is based wholly on Compaq's valuation of the problems which is affected by how those problems affect its future sales.

If people read the problems and believe they would be better off with different companies, then Compaq will change it's way of dealing with customers or die. If people read these problems and buy iPaq's anyway, fine. It's their choice and they made an informed decision knowing the risks. But it's no incentive to Compaq to change anything.

More information about end-user experiences allows potential purchasers to make informed choices.

Frankly I'm baffled by the negative responses to my postings. I was happy with my iPaq when I first bought it. Over time I've been affected by its many glitches and limitations. This is true of many people. If I had a large disposable income, then I suppose I could upgrade my PDA every 6 months and afford to buy products such as the CF+ expansion pack or SanDisk 128mb SD cards that have been reported to have problems with the iPaq.

I'm frankly baffled by those who complain about a 38xx and then upgrade to the 39xx from the same company. Why reward a company that has caused you headaches? There are other choices out there. Why not reward those whose products keep customers happy over the longterm?

Whether or not Compaq fixes the problems, the problems exist and have real-world impact on end-users. The vast majority of "reviews" of pocket pc's are about as helpful as the "Auto" section of the daily newspaper. They are first-blush looks at a product that GUSH over the looks, the CPU speed and accessories. RARELY if ever is there any longitudinal followup. Why don't reviewers ADD paragraphs to their reviews over time to add in longitudinal experiences people have? I think the current way reviews are done is a function of (a) cognitive dissonance; (b) the excitement of the next great thing; (c) a short attention span; (d) the scary notion of pissing off PPC manufacturers and not getting inside access to the next great product.

With the large number of new PocketPC's out there, there's plenty of choice. Why not exercise it? What's the point of (a) freedom of expression; and (b) a capitalist market-driven economy; unless we make use of them?

I have been accused of "Compaq bashing". I can't understand why. Compaq makes plenty of products and it's a multi-billion dollar company well capable of looking after itself. Compaq is not a six year old boy who has built his first sand castle and looking for approval. Not only that, but reviewers give new products a pretty easy ride. Does anyone really think Compaq is afraid of little old me?

dwprice
07-19-2002, 05:32 PM
I have had this problem and another poster in the PPC newsgroup has had it as well. My iSun solar charge works intermittently with my iPaq 3850.

To be fair, iSun only advertises that it works with the 3600s. After testing the iSun panel and its cable with a meter and a capacitor, it was shown to work according to spec. I could find nothing wrong with it.

I tested the iSun with the iPaq 3850. The iPaq indicated it was charging both with the charging light and also with the battery program (I only switched the iPaq on to check the program, then switched it off to avoid power drain). However, after an hour or so, my 3850 had LOST 3%. At other times, the iPaq has charged. When it works it is in the blazing direct sunlight of the hottest summer days.

So it looks like the 3800 may indicate it is charging from the iSun even though it is not. iSun personnel have suggested there may be something in the charging process of the 3850 that causes this.

dwprice
07-19-2002, 05:36 PM
Problems reported with the Compaq CF+ expansion pack at the link below:

http://discuss.pocketnow.com/showthread.php?threadid=9220

Grey
07-19-2002, 11:38 PM
After upgrading my 3870 to the latest 2.20 Rom and having the backlight, and motherboard replace by Compaq.

Now when I go to turn the 3870 on, It turns on, updates the today screen, back light dims to about 50% and then it turns off. May go throught this 10 to 15 times before it will stay on.

Power display may show the battery or may not, battery display may flicker now, showing the battery bar, or not showing the battery bar.

When trying to copy large files to the SD card, files greater than 10 MB may not copy, or having copy correctly, on next opening them they may fail.

Type or brand of SD card, does not seem to matter. I have had three cards fail to the point that they can not be reformatted. From three diferent makers. I'm seeing signs that a replacement card is starting to fail, and also a new 256 MB card.

Solitaire card game should have a green table, on my 3870 the table is a Blackish, purpleish color. Noway is it green

sallys
07-22-2002, 05:59 AM
If you have had problems with IPAQ ppc 36xx/37xx/38xx, see this link:

www.ipaqpetition.com

If you agree, please sign the petition.

dwaterboy2
07-25-2002, 12:02 AM
I would like to agree with your comments to pdadave. It is not that people like us bash Compaq as a way of releasing our anger against a manufacturer of a potentially great product. We post messages in order to serve two main goals of many.

1.) To inform the interested consumer of potential concerns with the device they are about to purchase.
2.) To inform or notify through any means necessary, the manufacturer of the issues they may need to deal with in the near future.

If I owned a multi billion dollar pda manufacturing company I would have a team researching feedback on the net to ensure the general public is happy with the products I sell. To not have this function in a company would be like bighting the hand that feeds you. It is not the one or two guys that have an isolated problem with their pda. It is the masses that have this problem and no forum by which to express their frustration. Not everyone hops on the phone and calls Compaq to happily report an issue with their device. The last call I made lasted about half an hour and still wasn't resolved by calls end. Not to mention the plethora of little problems I have on a daily basis that I don't call them on. This is a forum and should be used as one. A place we can discuss, share, help if possible. While on the surface it may appear as a stage for expressing hatred, it is simply a means of showing others and proving to ourselves, we are not alone in our pda malfuncitionality.

As I posted elsewhere, my pda no longer syncs with the Activesync program and only allows me to log on as guest. If I want to sync, I must first delete the partnership and then create a new one. If anyone else has had this problem please let me know. I have the topic in the general IPAQ seciton too.

Regards, Craig

JohanE
09-03-2002, 02:58 PM
Hi,

I get the following error just about daily now:

--------------------
Application filesys.exe has performed an illegal operation

Program: filesys.exe
Exception: 0x80000002
Address: 00019b64

Do you want to debug?
(Clicking No will shut down the application)
--------------------

The only problem is I cant press any buttons, and the iPaq performs a hard reset if I do a soft reset.

Calling compaq didnt really help, he said thay would look at the iPaq but charge me £70 if they could not find any faults.
The problem is I havent installed any software on it and it usually happens when syncronizing.

Johan