View Full Version : The New Tablets

Jason Dunn
07-09-2002, 03:58 PM
<a href="http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,4149,269402,00.asp">http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,4149,269402,00.asp</a><br /><br />I was initially quite ho-hum on the Tablet PC concept, but I've slowly become quite thrilled by it. I've been in contact with an OEM who will be making one, and the specifications and price point are quite compelling. I have this vision in my mind of kicking back on the couch with my Tablet PC and having some fun editing video, all with a stylus. Oh the joy...<br /><br />"Nevertheless, there's a lot to like about Microsoft's Tablet PC OS. The new major program is called Microsoft Windows Journal, which is designed as a place for you to take handwritten notes. Windows Journal looks like a page out of notebook, and you use a special physical pen to select a variety of electronic pens, erasers, or highlighters and then write directly on the screen. I was particularly impressed with how easy and natural it was to capture notes and highlight them in different colors. My children, in particular, took to this mode as if it were the most natural thing in the world—a great sign for the future of tablet-style computing. <br /><br />You can easily open up more space to create new notes, and once you've entered your notes the program can convert your handwriting into text or leave it as "ink." Either way, you gain the ability to search through your notes to find a particular word or phrase. On the downside, this capability is limited by the quality of the handwriting recognition, which didn't work particularly well when it tried to decipher my scribble. It did a far better job, however, with the handwriting of other members of my family."

JonnoB
07-09-2002, 05:19 PM
I have this problem when taking notes on my PocketPC sitting at my desk, I can imagine the problem getting worse with a Tablet PC. The problem is that my arm rests across the writing surface touching the touch sensitive writing area. It is natural for many of us that would write on paper to do so by resting our arms across the paper. The same would cause a problem with a Tablet PC, no?

Jason Dunn
07-09-2002, 05:22 PM
The same would cause a problem with a Tablet PC, no?

No. :wink: The Tablet PC will use Wacom technology (http://www.wacom.com), meaning it's a pressure sensitive screen, but you need to use the special pen in order to "work" the screen. You could rest your chin on the screen and nothing would happen - it's not the touch screen that your Pocket PC uses.

JonnoB
07-09-2002, 05:34 PM
No. :wink: The Tablet PC will use Wacom technology (http://www.wacom.com), meaning it's a pressure sensitive screen, but you need to use the special pen in order to "work" the screen. You could rest your chin on the screen and nothing would happen - it's not the touch screen that your Pocket PC uses.

I had an old Wacom tablet... It does resolve the problem, but it introces a new one... that is the required use of a 'special' pen. With my PocketPC, I can purchase a replacement stylus that is more like my writing pen... or use one of the combo pens (ink and stylus). Also, for those like me that lose small components like a stylus, replacements will be expensive or we will have to tether the special pen to our Tablets.... :-(

PlayAgain?
07-09-2002, 05:39 PM
I think that the idea of a Tablet PC is great and so useful!

Working in a heavy aircraft maintenance (747/777) centre, I know the hassle out engineers and technicians can have in having to go back to the workstation for more information, or to print out wads of stuff, to find out which task is next and how to do it. The tablet PC could be a great solution to that.

As for the Star Trek appeal! My only concern is that it has certain requirements in regard to what is being run on the terminal server end.

Nevertheless, I wouldn't mind one. It has so many possibilities!

spg
07-09-2002, 05:55 PM
As for the Star Trek appeal! My only concern is that it has certain requirements in regard to what is being run on the terminal server end.

You are thinking of the "Mira" devices. The Tablet PC does not have a terminal services end to it. It is a full fleged computer running Windows XP. Mira on the other hand just runs a version of Windows CE and must have a desktop computer to connect to in order for it to be of much use. Tablet PCs are geared toward business users, while the Mira devices are geared toward home users.

Jason Dunn
07-09-2002, 05:55 PM
Also, for those like me that lose small components like a stylus, replacements will be expensive or we will have to tether the special pen to our Tablets.... :-(

Yes, it is a disadvantage, but the advantage of not having to "hover" your hands above the screen is a big one for me. You'll just have to take care of that special stylus. ;-) If it helps, it will be much bigger than a Pocket PC stylus, and thus harder to lose...

dlauri
07-09-2002, 05:59 PM
I use my iPaq to take notes in classes, but I wouldn't do so without my Stowaway keyboard. I type so much more quickly than I write, and I don't even want to get into the issue of legibility. When I first went back to school last summer, I did try to take notes the old fashioned way, pen on paper, and my hand cramped.

So tablet PC's may be neat, but I'll never be a convert. I need a keyboard.

spg
07-09-2002, 06:00 PM

I had an old Wacom tablet... It does resolve the problem, but it introces a new one... that is the required use of a 'special' pen. With my PocketPC, I can purchase a replacement stylus that is more like my writing pen... or use one of the combo pens (ink and stylus). Also, for those like me that lose small components like a stylus, replacements will be expensive or we will have to tether the special pen to our Tablets.... :-(
From what I have heard there will be a standard stylus of sorts across all Tablet PC devices. This will mean that anyone can create a stylus with a different design but still use the same standard. So you buy a Tablet PC from Acer you lose the stylus, you can now go out and buy any stylus from Super Tablet Stylus Inc. (or any other company) and it will work with your Acer Tablet (as well as with any other Tablet PC devices). I'm not positive on this, but based the information I have that is what I can tell you.

Jason Dunn
07-09-2002, 06:04 PM

Absolutely - for many tasks, a keyboard is a must. I can't write as fast as I can type. But there are others tasks that using a stylus for is very intuitive...that's what I'm most excited about. :-)

adamz
07-09-2002, 06:15 PM
http://articles.pocketnow.com/content.cgi?db=articles&amp;id=85

I got to play with an Acer tablet PC at PC Expo last month. Some models have a keyboard built in just like a laptop... except you can flip the screen around and fold it over the keyboard so you can use it as a tablet PC for writing on. The cool thing here is that you don't need a lap for the thing to be laying on in order to use it. You could be holding the computer with your left hand and interacting with it with your right hand (via stylus).. this means you can be standing up and walking around while still having full use of your portable computer.

The wacom-style electromagnetic digitizer pressure sensitive LCD screen is an excellent choice of interface. You can use any wacom compatible pointing device. The people at PC Expo were mostly using the Wacom duo-switch eraser pens, while keeping the included stylus inside the device's slot. The electromagnetic sensor in the screen can sense differences in the antennae built into the stylus as well. That means if you flip over the stylus and rub the eraser end against the screen, the software will recognize this and react accordingly (by erasing stuff).
Another advantage of this input method is that it offers pressure sensitivity! You can press lightly to get a thin stroke or press harder for a thicker stroke. Many art related applications allow you to customize how tools react to pressure input. This is much better than a simple touch screen.

Janak Parekh
07-09-2002, 07:13 PM
I use my iPaq to take notes in classes, but I wouldn't do so without my Stowaway keyboard. I type so much more quickly than I write, and I don't even want to get into the issue of legibility. When I first went back to school last summer, I did try to take notes the old fashioned way, pen on paper, and my hand cramped.
Totally depends on what you are taking notes for. For an engineering/mathematical class, typing is lossy, as transcribing diagrams is a pain.

I also saw the Acer unit previously mentioned, and it is one of the first steps in compromise. It's a nice unit... altho a tad too big for me, I'm sure they will go down in size given time. They did show some really cool stuff with the XP Tablet Edition add-ons. For me, the built-in 802.11b makes it worth it. Instead of a notebook, you can have an interactive device that you can use to surf the web during class. (For research, of course. :-D)

--bdj

PlayAgain?
07-09-2002, 07:22 PM

You are thinking of the "Mira" devices. The Tablet PC does not have a terminal services end to it. It is a full fleged computer running Windows XP. Mira on the other hand just runs a version of Windows CE and must have a desktop computer to connect to in order for it to be of much use. Tablet PCs are geared toward business users, while the Mira devices are geared toward home users. :oops:

In that case, it's cooler than cool!

GadgetGuy
07-09-2002, 07:51 PM
Is the unique operating system capable of running "real" XP programs?

For example, could I regular desktop versions of Word and PowerPoint and Outlook? Or does the Tablet introduce yet a another flavor OS to muddle the compromises between say XP Home vs. XP Pro vs. PPC 2002 and on and on with OS proliferation!

What are the projected storage devices and sizes? Hard disks with tens of gigs?

How about connectivity between the Tablet and a PPC? Will they synch directly without running to a desktop device to intermediate?

If the answers to these questions indicate that regular XP programs will run on a robust device, my new "laptop" choice will be a keyboard-enhanced Tablet PC.

Otherwise, fuhgeddaboutit! I don't want anymore compromises, tradeoffs, and compatibility challenges (and additional expense for yet more versions of software that create as many problems as they solve) in trying to integrate yet another darned device that almost, kinda, sorta works with the other ones I already own and use.

A new device should set us free, not give trap us in newer, prettier chains!

Jason Dunn
07-09-2002, 08:20 PM
Is the unique operating system capable of running "real" XP programs? For example, could I regular desktop versions of Word and PowerPoint and Outlook? Or does the Tablet introduce yet a another flavor OS to muddle the compromises between say XP Home vs. XP Pro vs. PPC 2002 and on and on with OS proliferation! What are the projected storage devices and sizes? Hard disks with tens of gigs? How about connectivity between the Tablet and a PPC? Will they synch directly without running to a desktop device to intermediate?

1) It's real XP Pro or Home, no change other than it's also the first .NET OS
2) Yes, you can run any application on it
3) Sizes will vary, but some are quite small and light (under 2.5 pounds)
4) They use laptop hard drives, so 60 gigs will be the max right now
5) Connectivity? Many will have built in 802.11b, GPS, etc.

Hope that helps! Looks like I'd better launch that Tablet PC site soon... ;-)

adamz
07-09-2002, 08:25 PM
Is the unique operating system capable of running "real" XP programs?

&lt;snip>
A new device should set us free, not give trap us in newer, prettier chains!

Absolutely.. any program that runs on Windows XP will run on XP Tablet Edition. You can rotate the screen orientation from portrait to landscape mode... but that shouldn't have anything to do with software compatibility since all windows programs are supposed to have resizable windows anyway.
The only difference with Tablet PC Operating system is that they have added support for pen-based input methods.
I should think there will be a calligrapher/transcriber style input method for inputing text into programs that don't directly support the "inking" stuff. Anyway, there's always the on-screen keyboard.

And as for connecting a Pocket PC to it... I'm sure you could just use the USB cradle, IR, or whatever... same as a laptop.

Mrsuicide
07-09-2002, 09:21 PM
One concern of mine concerning tablet input with the wacom technology is that it eliminates the possibility of an onscreen (virtual) keyboard that can be used like a normal one (using all 10 fingers, instead of a single stylus).

This only would effect those tablets which are not laptop/tablet hybrids, but i think it might possibly be useful on the go when you only have your tablet and you need to do longer data entry.

I have no idea how well a virtual keyboard like this would do cause i hear so many people needing a tactile feel of pushing buttons, but im sure a generation can grow up with just virtual buttons, i think i could adjust. besides, i think have a fully customizable keyboard where you make your own button placement (a la that remote control software from palm) and your own shortcuts, etc.

Darnit, now I've made myself want a virtual keyboard for my desktop. =P

GadgetGuy
07-09-2002, 09:37 PM
So what's not to like?! Sounds great. Best of all worlds...

I take it the screen is NOT reflective and thus must be lit. How'z about battery life? Any better or worse than a comparable laptop?

Do we expect docking stations with CD-ROM, etc.?

st63z
07-09-2002, 09:46 PM
Maybe they can make gloves for both hands where the finger tips have the Wacom styluses (stylii?), then you can try touch typing on the virtual keyboard that way :D

Seriously, they need to make a combo screen technology that lets you manually toggle back and forth between PPC-style touchscreen and CAD tablet-style digitizer. That will be very versatile.

I'd bought a few different Wacom pens for my old CAD tablet a long time ago, they're pretty nice, some even with multiswitches...

When will MS/Calligrapher improve Transcriber to detect pressure levels when writing? I assume that will make it much more complex...

Mrsuicide
07-09-2002, 10:19 PM
Maybe they can make gloves for both hands where the finger tips have the Wacom styluses (stylii?), then you can try touch typing on the virtual keyboard that way :D

Seriously, they need to make a combo screen technology that lets you manually toggle back and forth between PPC-style touchscreen and CAD tablet-style digitizer. That will be very versatile....

maybe the gloves will have button-like points so it feels like your punching normal keys too! :roll:

I second the combo screen idea, that would also address JonnoB's complaints about requiring a special pen.

wjsteele
07-09-2002, 10:36 PM
I use my iPaq to take notes in classes, but I wouldn't do so without my Stowaway keyboard...

The Acer TravelNote 100 has a keyboard. It's a convertable device... looks like a standard notebook, except for the fact that screen can rotate 180 degrees and lay flat across the keyboard - which automatically flips the screen to a portrait mode for pen input... I've been using one for quite a while and love it.

Bill

spg
07-09-2002, 10:38 PM
1) It's real XP Pro or Home, no change other than it's also the first .NET OS
Hope that helps! Looks like I'd better launch that Tablet PC site soon... ;-)
Actually all of them will be XP Pro. The Tablet PC support will come when they release Service Pack 1. (It is in beta testing right now)

Yup, need to get a move on that web-site :wink:. Until then I plan to re-open mine (TabletPCBuzz.com) sometime this week, so people can get information and discuss things there. :)

Jason Dunn
07-09-2002, 11:05 PM
I take it the screen is NOT reflective and thus must be lit. How'z about battery life? Any better or worse than a comparable laptop? Do we expect docking stations with CD-ROM, etc.?

Battery life: about the same as laptops, since in essence that's what they are. :-) Docking stations with CD-ROMs and ports will be the norm.

GadgetGuy
07-09-2002, 11:22 PM
Here's a Flash demo video from Microsoft that shows all the highlights of the tablet pc.

I almost shorted out my pc with drool.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/tabletpc/#

And here's a link to Microsoft's official Tablet PC site:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/tabletpc/

spg
07-09-2002, 11:49 PM
Here's a Flash demo video from Microsoft that shows all the highlights of the tablet pc.

I almost shorted out my pc with drool.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/tabletpc/#

Try this link instead, they put it in a pop-up window so that URL won't get you to the flash demo.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/tabletpc/tour/default.asp

Steven Cedrone
07-10-2002, 05:38 AM
Looks like I'd better launch that Tablet PC site soon... ;-)

Speaking of which, don't you have tabletpcthoughts.com squirreled away somewhere???? :o

Newsboy
07-10-2002, 09:33 AM
Darn, they're all sold out, but check out SonicBlue's ProGear (http://store.sonicblue.com/dr/v2/ec_MAIN.Entry10?xid=25971&SP=10023&PN=1&V1=365951&DSP=&CUR=840&PGRP=0&CACHE_ID=0) tablets. What a sweet device, too bad they couldn't make it work. They are sold out of the Windows 98 devices, and the Linux version is still selling for $2799.

Specs included a 400 mhz Transmeta Crusoe processor (as seen in Sony VAIO laptops), 128 mb of sdram, 5.6 gb hard drive, 10.4" polysilicon TFT display...more or less identical to the Tablet PC concept on the boards at Microsoft. Except it ran Win98, and you could load any application on it you wanted.

Best part (or worst, since they're sold out now), they were selling on closeout for...

$599

*sigh*

Another two months and I would have had the money to stockpile them. But for want of financial aid checks....

Jason Dunn
07-10-2002, 04:11 PM
Speaking of which, don't you have tabletpcthoughts.com squirreled away somewhere???? :o

Shh...

mulberry
07-10-2002, 05:50 PM
I should think there will be a calligrapher/transcriber style input method for inputing text into programs that don't directly support the "inking" stuff. Anyway, there's always the on-screen keyboard.

And as for connecting a Pocket PC to it... I'm sure you could just use the USB cradle, IR, or whatever... same as a laptop.

Then, take a look at PaceBlade, one of the very first real products in this arena... http://www.paceblade.com

This is what I'd looking for... just add a PCCard with WLAN, and you're all set to go...

st63z
07-11-2002, 01:15 AM
Best part (or worst, since they're sold out now), they were selling on closeout for...

$599

*sigh*

Was that the general public close-out price? I seem to remember AVS Forum annoucing this supposedly exclusive deal recently (at the time I think they insisted it was in stock)...