View Full Version : PictPocket Cinema by DigiSoft

Jason Dunn
07-05-2002, 07:57 PM
<a href="http://www.handango.com/PlatformProductDetail.jsp?siteId=311&platformId=2&productType=2&catalog=0&amp;sectionId=0&productId=32589">http://www.handango.com/PlatformProductDetail.jsp?siteId=311&platformId=2&productType=2&catalog=0&amp;sectionId=0&productId=32589</a><br /><br />I thought this day would never come! PictPocket will let you display AVI and Quicktime format videos - amazing! It also supports MPEG and DivX. Spec-wise, it looks awesome! But the reality is a little less thrilling: I was unable to get either of the Quicktime files I tried to work, couldn't get sound from the DivX files I tried (though the frame-rate was amazing!), and the app frequently would lock up on me. It seems like they have a ways to go yet, but the potential is excellent - I was able to drop an AVI file on there and play it without problems, and the MPEG playback with a Pocket PC-formatted video file was quite good. This is a step in the right direction, but the app needs a lot of polishing in order to be ready for prime-time. Download a trial version from Handango and tell me what you think.<br /><br />"A Movie Theater That Can Fit In Your Pocket. Imagine That. PictPocket has taken it up a notch by expanding it's award winning image tools into the realm of video. PictPocket is the only program that supports MPEG-1, MPEG-2, AVI and QuickTime video. This new release supports DivX AVI and many other AVI codecs. Not only can you view your pictures and image files anytime, anywhere on your Pocket PC, but now you can watch streaming video right on your handheld. Bring your favorite movie or TV show with you on a trip. Show off video clips of your child's first steps and then enhance them with real-time contrast and brightness adjustment. PictPocket supports the Margi Presenter-to -Go and Colorgraphics Voyager VGA cards so you can view your pictures and videos on any VGA monitor or projector. PictPocket Cinema truly revolutionizes the multi-media market for hand-held computing."

Rez
07-05-2002, 09:34 PM
I also could not get PictPocket to play back a Quicktime movie (.mov file).

Furthermore, the quality of MPEG1 playback was far worse with PictPocket than with PocketTV.

I can already play Quicktime movies on my Pocket PC. First, I convert the .mov file to an .avi file (DivX 5.0.1 Codec) using RAD Video Tools (a.k.a. Bink and Smacker). Then I convert the .avi file to .mpg (MPEG1) with TMPGEnc, using the correct encoding parameters for Pocket PC. I can then playback the resulting .mpg file on my Pocket PC beautifully using PocketTV.

Rez

Dinesh H
07-05-2002, 10:22 PM
I tried to install it and all I got was PicPocket 2.0 not PicPocket Cinema. :?: Has anyone else had this problem?

Sslixtis
07-05-2002, 11:58 PM
PicPocket 2.0 is what I got as well and it SAYS it supports .MOV files but I have yet to actually get it to play one. IMHO they have a long way to go with this software and at $39.95 (for what they have now), they MIGHT get lucky and find a couple of hapless individuals to actually buy it. :wink:

disconnected
07-06-2002, 05:50 AM
I actually did buy it. I have a Minolta S404, which creates some sort of non-standard AVI files that I hadn't been able to play with anything else (including PQView). PictPocket Cinema can handle them, so it was worth it to me, even though it was expensive.

jsw4451
08-29-2002, 06:33 PM
PictPocket Cinema v 2.6 is now available with brand new MPEG support. The MPEGs play smooth and at a good frame rate. Also, many QuickTime codecs are supported. Unfortunately, not all codecs are supported, but common one like Cinepak and MJPEG among others are! This is the only viewer to support so many video as well as static image formats. DigiSoft is adding new codecs all the time. They will have version 2.7 out next week with an MP3 audio player built in.

bizon22
10-18-2002, 07:11 PM
Hi. Guys why you don't get realone it's free and awesome, try it. Actually I have 1hour and 30 minute movie and it onlyt takes 35mb of your memory. You should try it.
http://web.vVault.com/lassen/showDocument.jsp?dc=614777