View Full Version : e740 Questions

Palmguy
07-05-2002, 04:37 AM
Just a few questions about the e740.

1. How bad is the XScale problem? I am coming from a iPAQ 3635, which was quick enough. How does the Toshiba compare?

2. Is that a metal case?

3. How is the screen? (i.e. is there a blue tint like the iPAQ, is it a springy or papery screen?, etc...)

4. Approx. Battery life with low to medium backlight and no wireless use.

5. Ease in setting up the e740 to talk to my wireless network at home.

Thanks everyone in advance. I'm glad to be here at PPC Thoughts now that my home at PDABuzz is gone. I hope I can contribute something to this community while I am here.

[Cruzer]
07-05-2002, 06:09 PM
I'll try to answer your questions as best I can, I just got my e740 last week.

1.) I don't think there is anything bad about the Xcale processor, just that the OS and apps aren't optimized for it. So you won't see a sugnificant increase in speed. And to add to question 4.) you get better battery power from the xcale since it doesn't draw that much power.

2.) yes

3.) Screen is sharp.. almost as close as the casio-e200 and brighter than the 3800 in my opinion. I haven't seen a 3900 but it looks like its brighter.
but its much better than my 3650 screen.

4.) I tested it with lo light setting and no wireless and battery lasted 9.5 hours. I also tested it with wifi and it lasted 4 hours. Much better battery life then my 3650.

5.)well for it was easy to setup. I simply added the mac address to my smc barricade and I was up in 2 secs. So I would say its easy. I know other people have said that there connection has dropped once in awhile
but that could have been in there location. But for me it has worked like
a charm.

My notes:

The only thing I don't like but hopefully it could be fixed is the Dpad. It sucks with games. You can do multiple buttom press but you can only go in one direction at a time. Meaning if your going up then just roll your thumb over to the right it won't work. You have to lift your thumb up then press right. This problem also existed on the audiovox but they soon fixed that so i'm hoping for the same thing on the e740.

well I hope I didn't ramble on to much. And hope this helps.