View Full Version : lets make a new linux os for xscale instead of 2002

jklfafa
07-02-2002, 06:07 PM
if microsoft isnt moving their behinds, we should just make up our own os and all our fellow pda developers should just make the ulitmate os that is optimized for the xscale, and then when microsoft get pressured then they'll make a nice new os for us
the citizen project as i will refer to it. It should basically be linux with x-windows, that should be made for even novices to use and is 100% safe...what do you guys think????

SkipMc
07-03-2002, 04:49 AM
You know, I have wondered how much the current Pocket PCs high price is based on the cost of the OS system being used.

Does anyone have factual knowledge on this? How much does Microsoft charge for a OEM of PPCs?

Jason Dunn
07-03-2002, 02:42 PM
Does anyone have factual knowledge on this? How much does Microsoft charge for a OEM of PPCs?

It's something like $8-10 I think. Not a huge element of the device.

Zero101
07-10-2002, 05:13 PM
Why not buy a Sharp Zaurus? Or try one of the linux distributions that was developed for the Ipaq a while back?

Personally... I think Linux is a cool OS, but it will probably never be my primary OS, either on my desktop or on my PDA. Linux makes a very reliable server, and can perform some functions very well (it is my mp3 server at home, and also does http/ftp and a few other random jobs).. but for a desktop OS, I want something easy to use, attractive, and relatively stable. Windows 2000 or XP meets those requirements much better than Linux.... and I think the same would be true on a PDA.

Dave Conger
07-10-2002, 07:16 PM
It should basically be linux with x-windows, that should be made for even novices to use and is 100% safe...

100% safe huh. That is pretty "safe". How long you think that is going to take to make it that safe? :wink:

Zero101 has a good point...just get a Zaurus. The price drops every couple days and it seems to have a pretty good Linux OS.

dcharles18
07-11-2002, 02:39 AM
Have you played with a Zarus yet? Very cool device. Not too big, nice thumboard concealed. Too bad you can't load PPC 2k2 onto one.

Dave Conger
07-11-2002, 03:13 AM
If the price keeps dropping I might just pick one up cause the times I have used it in the stores I have really been impressed with all it has.

dcharles18
07-11-2002, 02:31 PM
Now that I think about it, is there any reason why one could not load PPC 2k2 onto a Zarus? It has the same ARM processor as a PPC right? Any takers? :?:

web docta
07-13-2002, 03:08 AM
Have you played with a Zarus yet? Very cool device. Not too big, nice thumboard concealed. Too bad you can't load PPC 2k2 onto one.

I've played with a Zarus in Office Depot. It seemed a little slow for my taste. I personally don't find the keyboard useful at all. After having a Palm IIIxe to practice on for 1 1/2 years, I've become quite adept with Graffiti.

Ed Hansberry
07-13-2002, 03:38 AM
It should basically be linux with x-windows, that should be made for even novices to use and is 100% safe...what do you guys think????

100% safe? Well, except for this flaw - http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&ncid=73&e=3&cid=73&u=/zd/20020712/tc_zd/943176

And who knows what else.

justBe
07-13-2002, 08:52 PM
perhaps theres a lot of pdas running linux but i really dont think linux is intended to be a pda os! i mean, x is to old too age and is not good for the desktop, linux needs something fresh and new for this, in this field windows and some other oses are much better (qnx, beos and some others perhaps).

what do you think guys?

bish
08-13-2002, 07:27 PM
ooh... it'd be nice to see an incarnation of BeOS on a PocketPC device. i'd pay decent money for that.