View Full Version : Perfect PPC for network techs

foldedspace
06-30-2002, 07:40 PM
I would buy a PPC today if there was one out there that had a USB connection that let me hook up an external hard drive, or a serial adapter to let me configure Cisco switches. I'd like to be able to 'release and renew' an IP address and do a few other things that I currently haul my laptop around to do. It's not here yet...but I'm betting it will be soon.

seanturner
07-01-2002, 12:57 AM
I don't have my PPC with me to check at the moment, but doesn't vxutility allow you to do a release and renew? I know it allows you to do ping, tracerout, port scan, and all that good stuff, but, I think it allowed you to do that as well.

Jazper
07-05-2002, 03:42 AM
okey dokey..
first of all.. I found a great utility called "transformer" that allows you to release/renew the ip at www.nirostasis.net

Next.. hardware

compaq Ipaq(all) series

Can have serial port through pcmcia or CF adapter, ditto with nic

Can have an external hard drive attached through pcmcia card (see http://www.tjotala.com/hardware/storagebrick/default.htm )

include CENiffer, Vxutil and your choice of telnet client .. and you've got a fully featured network diagnostic tool

Dave Conger
07-05-2002, 06:36 AM
Actually any Pocket PC that has a PCMCIA expansion available. I realize right now this is (as Jazper says) just the iPAQ, but if any other devices release sleeves before you buy, they would also be an option.

Jazper
07-05-2002, 06:44 AM
actually, the ipaq isn't the only one... but you'd want multiple slots..

and the ipaq is the only one that can give you that