View Full Version : Best way to switch computers

ChrisHasenpflug
06-26-2002, 09:34 PM
Greetings,

I have just completed building my new PC and am in the process of transfering my work over to the new box which will become my primary machine. After reading many stories both good and bad, I wanted to get input on the best way to move my iPAQ 3835 to the new machine. I will be copying over my Outlook profiles and using the existing .pst (it's on a network server). What kind of prompts can I expect when I sync for the first time? What kind of problems should I expect, after all this is ActiveSync we're talking about? What suggestions do you have before I take this adventure?

Thanks alot,

Chris

ChrisHasenpflug
06-30-2002, 07:55 AM
No reponses?? Come on guys :)

seanturner
06-30-2002, 08:14 AM
I may not be exact, but, I am always messing with my computers and chageing things, so, I reformat a lot. I would copy all your outlook stuff over first, then install your PPC. Then, it comes up with a message asking you what kind of partnership you want to create. Say you want to make it a permanent partner and not just a guest and then it will ask if this is the only machine you want to sync with or if you want to sync with other machines too. I believe the difference is in which computer it syncs email with, but i could be wrong. I would say this is the only comp i want to sync with. Then, go through and change any of the default active sync settings you want to. And it should work without a hitch, provided, of course, you aren't trying to sync a thrid party program. I don't know how that would work, but, I would install the program first and just go from there.

localizer
07-02-2002, 05:45 AM
ActiveSync will take care of all the updating, make a backup of if before you sync with your new computer just incase.

When I moved mine it found duplicates, asked me what to do with those, and made sure everything was perfect between the new relationship. If you mess up somehow, then just use the backup and try try again.

Do the Outlook reinstallation first and make sure that works, and if you don't know how to do that then: install outlook, let it run once and set up your basic (program preferences), then close it + restart (it needed to be restarted for me w/Windows XP), then copy your .pst files, reopen...it'll ask you if you want to "re-create your shortcuts and delete your old ones" and you can click yes, then install activesync, sync up and let activesync set up the permanent connection.

Oww and make sure you do "Synchronize ALL EVENTS" and not just recent or upcoming events, or you'll soon figure out that not everything was coppied :o

Good luck

Jonathan1
07-06-2002, 10:40 PM
1. Sync your Pocket PC to the computer for the last time.
2. On your old computer open Outlook
2a. Go file Import-Export
2b. Export to a file (At the top of list)
2c. Select Personal Folder File (.Pst)
2d. Highlight the Root of the list called Personal Folders and then checkmark include subfolders
2e. Under save exported file as type c:\backup.pst
2f. Click OK.

3. E-mail or move that file over to your new computer.

4. Install outlook on your new system.
5. REBOOT
6. Go http://office.microsoft.com/ProductUpdates/default.aspx This is MS's office update site. There WILL be service packs that you should apply to Outlook prior to setting up your e-mail.
7. REBOOT.

8. Set up your e-mail
9. Retrieve that backup.pst file.
10. Open outlook
10a. Go file Import-Export
10b. Import from another program or file
10c. Select Personal Folder File (.Pst)
10d. Browse to that file
10e. Highlight the Root of the list called Personal Folders and then checkmark include subfolders
10f. Click Finish.

11. Install ActiveStink.
12. Begin syncing.
13. When it prompts when you want to overwrite what allow Outlook to blow away everything on your PPC. (This is why we had you sync for the last time on your PPC in step #1)

I redo my 'puter once every 3 month. I have TOO much experience with this :)