View Full Version : New HP iPAQ Rumors

Richardo233
06-24-2002, 11:33 PM
Ever since Compaq merged with HP, I have been hearing rumors about a new line of iPAQs. Not the 3900 series or any similar design, but something half the thickness, a processor faster than 400Mhz, and best of all, more memory and screen color capabilities. I also heard this will be very inexspensive, lower-priced than any iPAQ today. All Jornadas will be discontinued (obviously) as well as iPAQs below 3800 by the end of this year. I came across all this info on some sight that i don't know the address of. Anyone know anything about this? :?:

Jason Dunn
06-24-2002, 11:49 PM
I can only promise you that when I have something useful to post, you'll see it. :-)

It's sometimes been referred to by Compaq/HP as the iPAQ 2000 line (I think that was the number) - "low end" device

And there's also the 5000 series - use you imagination. 8)

ErorZ
06-29-2002, 12:23 AM
Many things will change in the next couple of months I'm sure...

Some resellers are already having a hard time getting H3850s... Obsolete-End of Life part number !?

JonnoB
06-29-2002, 02:33 AM
Many things will change in the next couple of months I'm sure...

I doubt it would be couple of months... but perhaps this year. It will take some time to integrate the best of both products. It is possible however that there was already an awesome product in the works that is from one design team or another. Many of us lament over the demise of the HP Jornada line, but it is possible that the iPaq team although beat recently just has a better long-term project under way than did the HP PPC team.

Some resellers are already having a hard time getting H3850s... Obsolete-End of Life part number !?

Could be a sign of intended inventory reduction.... or just mishandling by Compaq/HP... I would not be surprised to hear it was the latter.

dreampages
06-29-2002, 04:56 PM
The H3850 and H3870 is readily available from our suppliers which are Ingram Micro, Tech Data, and Compaq/HP directly. They only ones they've discontinued lately are the H3670 & H3760/H3765.

The retail version of the H3850, the H3835, appears to have been discontinued but no official word that I can find. Ingram shows 0 on order and Tech Data doesn't list it at all any more.

Larry

Merlion
07-04-2002, 02:23 PM
Ever since Compaq merged with HP, I have been hearing rumors about a new line of iPAQs. Not the 3900 series or any similar design, but something half the thickness, a processor faster than 400Mhz, and best of all, more memory and screen color capabilities. I also heard this will be very inexspensive, lower-priced than any iPAQ today. All Jornadas will be discontinued (obviously) as well as iPAQs below 3800 by the end of this year. I came across all this info on some sight that i don't know the address of. Anyone know anything about this? :?:
This smaller, cheaper, & lower-end PPC, similar to the Toshiba e310, is supposed to be the iPaq2200. There's also going to be an iPaq 5000 series that is supposed to be the high-end series incorporating all kinds of new technologies.

mcsouth
07-06-2002, 04:44 PM
Anyone want to guess on timing of these units? I am planning on upgrading units shortly, but am not really taken with the Toshiba E740, and the new iPaq 3900 Series is just a bit beyond my pricing threshold (although maybe that will ease in the future;)). The PocketLoox looks promising, if it ever finally becomes reality.

Any chance these models might be released before the fourth quarter?

Dave Conger
07-06-2002, 07:18 PM
The PocketLoox looks promising, if it ever finally becomes reality.

US/Canada, July 22nd... www.firstloox.org

I think the next big release point they will try for would be Christmas. There always tends to be a lot of people jumping on the "PDA Bandwagon" about that time.

Jonathan1
07-07-2002, 01:13 AM
Said it before and will say it again. I think the Pocket PC is going to branch off into 2 types of devices. Small, light, and minimal featured and Larger, heavier and packed to the gills with gee-wiz features. I think Toshiba put out the first shot with the e310 series. For those of you who haven't picked one of these up I urge to to go to Best Buy, CompUSA and do it. Its amazingly light and while most Pocket PC's are shirt pocketable this one doesn't drag your shirt down to your navel. Brighthand DID mention a lighter PDA a few months ago. So its a pretty good bet HP/Compaq are going to fire back at Toshiba.

I just wander if HP/Compaq does release a thin PPC if they are going to bring back the Aero name. Those were some dang fines PDA's.

dreampages
07-07-2002, 02:30 AM
Anyone know who the US distributors will be? Neither Ingram Micro nor Tech Data have them listed.

Larry

Dave Conger
07-07-2002, 07:53 AM
I just wander if HP/Compaq does release a thin PPC if they are going to bring back the Aero name. Those were some dang fines PDA's.

If they are going to have two lines, why don't think just keep the Jornada name with one!

dcharles18
07-21-2002, 07:44 PM

If they are going to have two lines, why don't think just keep the Jornada name with one!

Then you will have people saying, "See, I told you that (new high end name) was better than (new low end name)." This could potentailly alienate HP or ipaq loyalists.

Dave Conger
07-22-2002, 12:17 AM
Then you will have people saying, "See, I told you that (new high end name) was better than (new low end name)." This could potentailly alienate HP or ipaq loyalists.

Ok, yeah, I could see how people might have a problem with that.

Seems like HP is going to try to be like Palm and more or less flood the market with iPAQ's. We already have what, about 10 different iPAQ models (though some aren't available). Starting two more lines could put a lot of devices into the market with the iPAQ name.

ipaqpocketpccanada
08-02-2002, 07:19 PM
Anyone want to guess on timing of these units? I am planning on upgrading units shortly, but am not really taken with the Toshiba E740, and the new iPaq 3900 Series is just a bit beyond my pricing threshold (although maybe that will ease in the future;)). The PocketLoox looks promising, if it ever finally becomes reality.

I foresee the end of this year at the latest for both the 5000 and the 2200's. The 3900 and 3800 are very similar (aside from better IR, better screen and different processor), so i suspect that the 3800 will be phased out in the near future and the 3900 will be the mid-range iPAQ for some time.

Howard66
09-04-2002, 06:11 AM
A $650 product will be the "mid range"? I just bought one, and am having second thoughts, given the performance problems, and thinking there will be another choice in 2 months.

Do you really think there will be something sooner? Would that put the 3900 at $300 by December?

Do you forsee updates to the 3900, or software, to make xscale at least as fast as the prior? Thanks for your comments!

Ravenswing
09-04-2002, 11:03 AM

I suspect late spring/early summer next year. My reasoning goes as follows:
Windows .NET Server should be released around that time.
The Everett Visual Studio .NET beta should have matured, making the Compact Framework fully available to programmers.
Microsoft will want a CE.NET machine available, with Compact Framework in ROM, in line with the Web Services/.NET approach.

That's my theory (Mine alone.) And I'm sticking to it.

Besides, I'll be looking for a new machine next July :D

Beowulf
09-16-2002, 08:46 PM
Said it before and will say it again. I think the Pocket PC is going to branch off into 2 types of devices. Small, light, and minimal featured and Larger, heavier and packed to the gills with gee-wiz features.

what ought to happen is that all devices should be the small light devices and then you can buy a jacket, like the ipaqs have that are stuffed to the teeth with things. that way if you want the more advanced ptions you can also just have the small size too at certain times.

brenton