View Full Version : Dell close, Handspring next?

Andy Sjostrom
06-24-2002, 09:31 PM
On February the 25th I wrote a post called <a href="http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=328&highlight=dell">"Wishful thinking!"</a>. I listed five fake news items including this one:<br />"<b>Dell believes mobile phone market goes corporate</b> - The hardware giant has long stayed away from the mobile device market, but is finally determined to start playing in this growing market. Dell has decided to work with device maker HTC to make their Dell Smartphone 2002. Their strategy is somewhat different from the other mobile phone makers: they will market and sell the devices to corporate accounts only, coupled with server hardware, Microsoft Exchange and Microsoft Mobile Information Server."<br /><br />Next stop is a Dell Pocket PC, not Smartphone 2002... Close, anyway. My bet is that the next close shot from that February post will be Handspring and/or Sony doing a Pocket PC.

JMountford
06-24-2002, 09:44 PM
I would LOVE to see a Sony Pocket PC but Sony is way too anti-Microsoft! And I simply do not think Hanspring could make a decent Pocket PC.

Dave Conger
06-24-2002, 09:52 PM
I think Sony will defiantly try and take hold of the Palm OS market when OS 5 is released. They really have a chance since they innovate so much faster then everyone else. A Sony Pocket PC would rock...maybe they will try and compete with Acer.

Xyress
06-24-2002, 09:55 PM
Would Sony have to add an SD or CF slot? If they stuck with their proprietary memory stick, I wouldn't touch it.

spg
06-24-2002, 11:11 PM
Would Sony have to add an SD or CF slot? If they stuck with their proprietary memory stick, I wouldn't touch it.

I don't think Sony would leave their memory stick behind if you payed them to do it. There is no way Sony would choose SD or CF over Memory Stick. They might put SD or CF AND Memory Stick, but that is quite unlikely as well.

And as for Handspring, I don't see them ever making a Pocket PC. Keep in mind Handspring was started by the original creator of the Palm OS platform - Jeff Hawkins. As long as he is around they will keep Palm, or create their own OS sorta like Palm.

Anyway just my 2 cents.

Foo Fighter
06-25-2002, 12:47 AM
And as for Handspring, I don't see them ever making a Pocket PC. Keep in mind Handspring was started by the original creator of the Palm OS platform - Jeff Hawkins. As long as he is around they will keep Palm, or create their own OS sorta like Palm.

Handspring won't be in business long enough to even develop a PocketPC.

Jeff Hawkins is a has been, his ideas are tired and outdated. If he did create a PocketPC, it would be a step backward from what is on the market today. :roll:

mookie123
06-25-2002, 02:04 AM
I don't think Handspring has enough cash to develop PPC hardware, market them and improve upon the first model. If they jump to PPC, that means they will be strickly a hardware company and competing against electronic giants like HP, Toshiba, etc. Compare to now, where they partly own Palm OS and have decent grasp of Palm hardware, they would be in far weaker starting point.

They'll be squished like a bug after a couple of month, even if they come up with wildly brilliant hardware design. (yeah as if..... ) Plus, dont they tie up all their future in Treo?