View Full Version : Do you think microsoft will come out with a new os soon

hpjo
06-19-2002, 05:29 PM
I think the next os should be more like windows on the desktop. I would like to see these:
-icons on the today page
-put task, notes, calender, inbox under a pocket version of outlook
-make the graphics better( ex. instead of putting start in text, make it look like the start button in xp.
-have a toolbar, so you can easily switch the programs
-when you tap the x, the program should close
-put a forward button on pocket internet explorer

I'm not trying to bad mouth ppc 2002, just making suggestions

Another suggestion is since they make fullsize keyboards for pocket pc's, why not make an attachment for a mouse. They made the keyboards fold up to the size of a ppc, and you could still be portable if you got those mini mouses for laptops.

What are your opinions of my suggestions?

Martin I Pettinger
07-06-2002, 10:39 PM
I agree with the comment about closing programs and having a toolbar. I suspect that there is freeware or software that does this very thing.

I have only owned by iPAQ a couple of weeks but it annoys me when large applications are running in the background such as Pocket Cortona (VR viewer), Acrobat Reader and even Active Synch.

I am sure there is an easy way of killing programs (to use Linux terminology) but if there is I am missing something obvious. I can use iTask on the iPAQ but there must be a better way.

Anyone out there no some easy way of seeing running apps and shutting them down onscreen other than iTask.

CharlesWilcox
07-07-2002, 05:38 AM
I use wisbar... It makes the X a real close... not just a minimize. Here's the link. :D

http://www.pelmarinc.com/pocketpc.htm

Dave Conger
07-07-2002, 07:47 AM
I don't think we will see a new OS until maybe the end of the year. It isn't like they really need a new OS to compete with Palm OS 5. I would really like to see more of the XP style (like you said). I know a lot of people hate the X not closing, but in some ways it is worth while to not have apps starting over and over. It would be nice to have the option. It would probably help to have a task bar so you could see what programs are running without having to use something like iTask. I think options are key. Just have a couple different ways everything can look (like XP with the XP style and standard windows style) and run, that would be cool.

ppcsurfr
07-07-2002, 01:26 PM
why wold you want to jam a small screen with all that information ond icons?

It will then turn out as a useless piece of nothing.

Remember Windows CE 2.01 and 2.11? Well that was how it was... similar to Win 95/98/ME/XP... the only thing different is that the icons are now prettier.

Dave Conger
07-07-2002, 08:18 PM

If we get higher resolution and 4" screens they wouldn't be so jam packed now would they....

ppcsurfr
07-08-2002, 03:18 PM

If we get higher resolution and 4" screens they wouldn't be so jam packed now would they....

Ahhh. that sounds good... but then Pocket PCs will never be as small as Palms... right?

I think the 3.5 in screen for the Pocket PC is the minimum and 4 in. ios the maximum. But by changing the resolution to accept more information might still be an overload.

Pocket PC 2002 has tried doing this by decreasing the size of the fonts and the spacing... in its attempt to cram a wee bit more into the current screen of 320x240. There are Today screen launchers that even let you adjust the size of the icons to your preference.

There are more things that can be done and it requires careful study so as not to make the iterface too heavy.

It was noted that there is no forward icon for Pocket Internet Explorer... but there is a back arrow... Well, it is simple... because if you tap on a hyperlink, it sends you forward to that specific page... the back icon is the only thing that is needed.

Anyway, I think a good application of te tap and hold should be... this having the PIE controls in the tap and hold menu.

The system tray is out of the question though. Just imagine having even only 4 icons in that tray? It will simply look like the old Palm-size PCs... is this going to be a step back?

Martin I Pettinger
07-10-2002, 12:19 AM
I think having running applications in a system tray is sensible. Trying to run more than 4 major apps on a StrongArm processor just slows everything down (Well it does on my iPAQ)

Whilst on this subject I thought that Toshiba do a wee application that shows all running programs. Compaq also have iTask. Anyway to finish my post is there any chance of having a toolbar that has "Autohide" and appears from the right of the screen - I have something similar on my desktop on work which is part of Microsoft Office.

Perhaps another start button in the top right could do it with a menu that acts like the start button but shows running applications. Just my two cents - it is late and I have had a few lagers :wink:

Dave Conger
07-10-2002, 01:06 AM
Ahhh. that sounds good... but then Pocket PCs will never be as small as Palms... right?

...and the flipside would be, but then Palms won't have everything a Pocket PC will. Hence the possible two lines from HP. The Palm competitor, and the power device.

But by changing the resolution to accept more information might still be an overload.

Depends on your POV I guess. For me, I think the resolution is still a little to big. Take the Sharp Zaurus for instance which, though has the same resolution, has smaller fonts/graphics/etc. I was impressed with the Zaurus interface, though I know many are not like me. A power user that runs a high res on his/her desktop might appricate this.

The system tray is out of the question though. Just imagine having even only 4 icons in that tray? It will simply look like the old Palm-size PCs... is this going to be a step back?

Ok, but the bar at the bottom of my Today screen with only "New" on it is a waste of space. I would rather have some icons down there of something like the running tasks. I am not saying move everything back down there, I just would like to see a more useful Today screen.

juni
07-19-2002, 06:24 AM
Well, they are already working on it, it is called ce .net :

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/embedded/ce.net/default.asp

Personally I prefer the look of PocketPC2002. This ce .net looks like a mini version of XP and still rather ugly.

Dave Conger
07-19-2002, 08:12 AM
Well, they are already working on it, it is called ce .net ... This ce .net looks like a mini version of XP and still rather ugly.

Have you ever seen Windows CE 3.0? CE .NET is CE version 4. They look very similar. CE 3.0 is the basis for Pocket PC...CE 4.0 could be the basis for the next Pocket PC, but it won't look like CE 4.0 does.

juni
07-19-2002, 11:27 AM
...CE 4.0 could be the basis for the next Pocket PC, but it won't look like CE 4.0 does.

Whew, I was worried for a while...

handheldplanet
07-19-2002, 05:38 PM
I'm curious about the .Net version of CE. When is somebody going to explain all of that to us? Everything I've heard about it is like, "It's totally different application-wise from Pocket PC OS," or, "it's specifically for enterprise," etc. And I'm never sure what to think. I know it's supposed to integrate with the .Net capabilities of the whole passport concept (where MS is supposed to get a commission on everything we buy and do), but that's about it. Can anyone point me to an article where all of this is explained?

As far as the GUI of Pocket PC is concerned, through 3rd party programs like Wisbar we can do a ton, but I think higher-res screens will make a much larger impact.

draiken
07-19-2002, 05:50 PM
I remember seeing a pocket pc screen (it had Japanese text on it) with a circular menu for aplications and sort of a start button at the top... very much like the looks of the new Outlook (in the Titanium thread)...

Sorry but I don't remember where I saw it, could have been in DaBuzz... or Brighthand, or here, or PocketPCPassion, or PocketNow... mmm... I have to get a life

Maybe that will be the interfase... looked pretty good to me

just my 2c

juni
07-20-2002, 08:56 AM
I saw that picture too, it looks like some sort of startpage for apps...some kind of "home" screen.

Dave Conger
07-20-2002, 10:06 PM
I'm curious about the .Net version of CE....

Have you looked at: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/embedded/ce.net/default.asp
It does have some information about the goals of CE .NET and what it is suppose to be capitble of.

3rd party programs like Wisbar we can do a ton..

Though I would much rather have it integrated. Wisbar and other apps are nice for looks, but I always get the feeling it is slowing down my device when I use them. I would rather have an even more skinable OS...and higher res of course.

handheldplanet
07-22-2002, 08:44 PM
Sweet, thanks for the link Dave! Now I get it. :D

ErectionJackson
07-25-2002, 08:50 AM
http://www.infosync.no/news/2002/02/22/gfx/hitachi_npd_10jwl_02.jpg

Anybody meant this pic? :?

localizer
07-25-2002, 08:49 PM
http://www.jgui.net/XPPC/

Makes your PPC into a XP PC, icons, taskbar, all that cool stuff. Ohh yeah, free.

Dave Conger
07-26-2002, 12:20 AM
Makes your PPC into a XP PC, icons, taskbar, all that cool stuff. Ohh yeah, free.

Actually it makes it into an XPPC, not an XP PC. XPPC means eXtra Pocket PC. Could be confusing if you say XP PC because that would imply it being like XP on a PC, which it is not.

TFGBD
07-30-2002, 09:33 AM
Ce.net is just Windows CE 4. The HPC or desktop like shell is the Win CE "Default" shell. The manufacturer can make their own custom shell if they want. I once saw a CE powered sewing machine. Pocket PC is a custom shell, but its developed by MS. That Hitachi device isn't a Pocket PC. Things like that are more like strange shaped HPC/Palm PCs. I categorize things like that as HPCs. I've seen a wearable HPC before. They come in all shapes and sizes. PPCs seem to all be pretty much the same. To me, if it uses the HPC shell, its a HPC. The Dot 320 is another device. It looks like a Pocket PC, but its really more or less a HPC without a keyboard. Heres some pictures of it: http://www.digit-life.com/articles/dot320/

I'd personally prefer the Dot 320 HPC over a Pocket PC myself. If anyone can help me find one, i'd appreciate it. I know alot don't like the "default" CE, but I prefer it.

draiken
07-30-2002, 04:27 PM
http://www.infosync.no/news/2002/02/22/gfx/hitachi_npd_10jwl_02.jpg

Anybody meant this pic? :?

Yes, that's the one... but looking at it now, just seems like an app on top of CE 2.11 or 3.0

TFGBD
07-31-2002, 04:19 AM
Not CE 2.11 or 3.0! Its CE 4.0:)