View Full Version : Audiovox to release Toshiba 550G in Q4 in North America

marlof
06-14-2002, 08:01 PM
Thras got pretty excited about the Toshiba 550G when its specs first hit the Pocket PC sites, and he started inquiring with Toshiba and Audiovox about US availability of this device. And on June 11, 2002 he received the following answer from Audiovox: "Audiovox will be releasing the Genio e550G in North America later this year. The introduction is scheduled for some time in Q4." Nothing we didn't expect, but sure nice to see some sort of confirmation.

RickP in AZ
06-14-2002, 08:26 PM
I'm dizzy... I feel faint... I feel like the first time that I.... Whew! I think I need a cold shower to fend off the anticipation.

My only question is why must they wait until the 4th quarter? I need it *now*!

(I need a drink.)

RickP in AZ

Jaxbulls
06-14-2002, 08:42 PM
Thank God.
I have been hoping we would for months.
Lets just hope they keep it similar and not do anything like cut the memory down.

entropy1980
06-14-2002, 08:50 PM
OMG big news can't hardly wait must control lust for new devices..... :D :D

Sslixtis
06-14-2002, 09:36 PM
8O All I can say is Ditto to the above and Gaaa... Drool.

b3trio
06-14-2002, 09:37 PM
Who are you kidding Jeremiah? Everyone knows you have absolutely no self-control. :) :wink:

I fully expect a comprehensive review on spriklerhead prior to the official release! Thanks in advance :D

Paragon
06-14-2002, 09:43 PM
Yes Virgina, there really is a Santa Claus, and apparently he has a real job....with Toshiba.

Dave

JonnoB
06-14-2002, 09:47 PM
The other OEM device was with less memory... would they do the same again? Is the Q4 delay because of inventory (lack of it) or is there perhaps a plan to have a phone enabled version?

Paragon
06-14-2002, 10:14 PM
I think I'm ok now. My heartrate seems to be a little better.

After looking at the pictures from the french site, the screen does look a bit on the dark side. Can't be to conclusive under those conditions though.

My favorite picture :) The one comparing it's size to the Ipaq.. it looks to be no bigger, maybe even slightly smaller than the Ipaq with an SD and a CF slot. Plus it still has the ability to expand using a sleeve system.

The King is dead! Long live the King. :)

Dave

entropy1980
06-14-2002, 10:53 PM
Who are you kidding Jeremiah? Everyone knows you have absolutely no self-control. :) :wink:

I fully expect a comprehensive review on spriklerhead prior to the official release! Thanks in advance :D
LOL :lol: my fiance is going to kill me if I keep up my current pace she has threatened to start a support group!

MobiliT
06-14-2002, 11:43 PM
I wish they could up the resolution on that screen though...and what about built-in wireless?
Any clue if the unit sold in the U.S. will have integrated wireless? If it does, I'm waiting. :wink:

Tenchi818
06-15-2002, 06:17 AM
A buddy of mine just pick one up from Japan. I was able to use it, and at first glance... WOW, the machine is light, and the screen is quite nice compared with my iPAQ 3660. Love being able to have both CF & SD slots. But after using it, I am not happy with the performance at all.

iPAQ's screen is much better in out doors, Toshiba is quite dark, even with the backlight ON.

In order or me to swtich to the 550g, I'll need the following:

128 Ram / Built-In 802.11a / PPC2002 re-coded for XScale CPU

I am not going to buy this baby just for larger screen.

Tenchi

Pony99CA
06-15-2002, 03:53 PM
In order or me to swtich to the 550g, I'll need the following:

128 Ram / Built-In 802.11a / PPC2002 re-coded for XScale CPU

I am not going to buy this baby just for larger screen.

At least you're not asking for much. :-) Why not just say you won't switch to this machine? If Toshiba makes a machine like that, it won't be called the 550g.

But let's look at those features:

* 128 MB RAM -- This seems reasonable. There have been machines rumored to have that coming.

* 802.11a -- 802.11b is the common standard, and unless you think those new light bulbs will mess things up, I doubt you'll see integrated 802.11a any time soon. You don't see many machines with integrated 802.11b even.

* Pocket PC 2002 recoded for XScale -- Microsoft will probably have to do this, and once it's done, it will work on any XScale Pocket PC.

I'll stick with my iPAQ 3870 for a while, but I'd consider upgrading to another iPAQ with any one of those features. If I got both 128 MB RAM and a fast (recoded) XScale machine (at a reasonable price, of course), that decision would be much easier.

Steve

JornadaJ
06-16-2002, 01:27 AM
I have to admit, this little baby *might* make my give up my Jornada 568. I really like the idea of built-in CF cards, which is why I have stuck with the Jornadas and never bought the iPAQ. Which, judging from the thread about the recall, I am very glad I didn't get the iPAQ. That and the screen covers. (Didn't help with dust, but that's another story...)

More memory? Oh yeah, that would be nice. Faster processor? Required.

H O W E V E R, if they could just 'up-armor' it like the old Jornada 548's, I would be ecstatic. I just got back from a five-month overseas..."vacation abroad"... there were several times that I had to be concerned about breaking the 568. It wouldn't even add that much weight...maybe a couple of ounces.