View Full Version : NBC and Mazingo Team Up

Jason Dunn
06-13-2002, 03:12 PM
<a href="http://www.mazingo.net/pc/index.php">http://www.mazingo.net/pc/index.php</a><br /><br />Well isn't this cool! It's nice to see a major studio investing some effort into the PDA market. Now I wonder what it will take for them to deliver entire episodes...<br /><br />"For the first time, a major television network can easily deliver video directly to millions of mobile users around the world via their PDAs. Fans of NBC entertainment programs can now catch a glimpse of new fall shows on their handheld computers - anywhere, anytime. NBC has teamed with Mazingo Network to deliver video clips from each of NBC's new comedy and drama programs...video segments from the following programs on five new NBC channels:<br /><br />• "In-Laws" (Tuesdays, 8-8:30 p.m. ET), a comedy starring Dennis Farina and Jean Smart<br />• "Hidden Hills" (Tuesdays, 9:30-10 p.m. ET), a comedy which focuses on the lives of frenzied families living in the suburbs;<br />• "Good Morning Miami" (Thursdays, 9:30-10 p.m. ET), a comedy from the<br />Emmy-winning creators of NBC's "Will & Grace"<br />• "American Dreams" (Sundays, 8-9 p.m. ET), a family drama set against the backdrop of 1960s Philadelphia when "American Bandstand" was at the height of pop culture<br />• "Boomtown" (Sundays, 10-11 p.m. ET), from executive producers Graham Yost ("Speed") and Jon Avnet ("Fried Green Tomatoes").

Foo Fighter
06-13-2002, 03:53 PM
Mazingo may end up displacing AvantGo as the supreme choice for offline content. Over the last 12 months, I have watched AvantGo slowly crumble apart. The new pricing scheme imposed on Channel creators is killing the once mighty service. Many content partners are dumping their channels completely...and I'm seeing less and less content. Even ZDNET ended ZDNET TO GO. 8O

As a side note:

I can't get Mazingo to work with my Palm. The desktop client updates channel content correctly, but then crashes during the transfer process. So I can't get the updated channels to transfer to my device.

Anyone else having this problem, or know of a fix? And don't say GET A POCKETPC! :lol:

JonnoB
06-13-2002, 10:22 PM
As a side note:

I can't get Mazingo to work with my Palm. The desktop client updates channel content correctly, but then crashes during the transfer process. So I can't get the updated channels to transfer to my device.

Anyone else having this problem, or know of a fix? And don't say GET A POCKETPC! :lol:

No one on a PocketPC news/discussion site with mostly PocketPC fans would tell you to get a PocketPC. Can a Palm even play video? ha ha ha

Foo Fighter
06-13-2002, 10:28 PM
Can a Palm even play video? ha ha ha

Sure. They play silent movies. You haven't lived until you've watched the original King Kong silent movie from 1922 on a 160x160 display. Just hold your Palm in upright position...and sit back and enjoy the buttered popcorn! :P

By the way, I found the problem......THIS WEB SITE! Jason's Mazingo channel causes the desktop app to crash. I think this is a deliberate attempt to make me dump Palm. :wink:

JonnoB
06-13-2002, 10:43 PM
By the way, I found the problem......THIS WEB SITE! Jason's Mazingo channel causes the desktop app to crash. I think this is a deliberate attempt to make me dump Palm. :wink:

Good job Jason....

Foo Fighter
06-13-2002, 10:47 PM
Good job Jason....

He's trying to kill the Palm community...one device at a time. :P

Foo Fighter
06-13-2002, 10:49 PM
I still can't get it to sync my channels. Oh well, the UI is a mess anyway. I'll stick to AvantGo. :?

Jason Dunn
06-13-2002, 11:40 PM
I still can't get it to sync my channels. Oh well, the UI is a mess anyway. I'll stick to AvantGo. :?

Must be that teeny-weenie Palm screen - I really like the UI on the Pocket PC. Nice and clean, easy to use. :D

Foo Fighter
06-13-2002, 11:59 PM

Must be that teeny-weenie Palm screen - I really like the UI on the Pocket PC.

The Palm and PocketPC versions of Mazingo do not share the same UI. It looks awful on my Palm.

JonnoB
06-14-2002, 12:07 AM
The Palm and PocketPC versions of Mazingo do not share the same UI. It looks awful on my Palm.

Ahhh.. and you give yourself reasons to do away with that child's toy.