View Full Version : iPAQ 3800 backlight problems

marlof
06-10-2002, 08:56 PM
http://wwss1pro.compaq.com/support/reference_library/viewdocument.asp?countrycode=1000&amp;prodid=2183|iPAQ+H3800+Series+Pocket+PC&amp;source=MH020124_CW02.xml&amp;dt=3<br /><br />Much has been said about the backlight problem that is haunting some Compaq iPAQs, where the backlight won't come on automatically. The first Customer Advisory that dealt with this problem was withdrawn very fast. And now <a href="http://wwss1pro.compaq.com/support/reference_library/viewdocument.asp?countrycode=1000&prodid=2183|iPAQ+H3800+Series+Pocket+PC&source=MH020124_CW02.xml&dt=3">a new one</a> has been made available. This page includes a <a href="http://www.compaq.com/enterprise/snverifier/popup.html?DfT=1&D0=iPAQ H3800 Series Pocket PC_09/01/2001_05/10/2002_4G_DW33_Both_PID0_POSSIBLY&BD=2002">serial number check</a> to see if your iPAQ may suffer from a hardware failure. If it does, you can send it in to Compaq for warranty service. Source: <a href="http://www.pocketpc-club.nl">PocketPC-club.nl</a>.<br /><br /><b>UPDATE:</b> It is not sure how this serial number check works. According to the main page, Serial Numbers 4G25DW33Axxx and earlier could be affected. Our agent on the job, Ed, has an affected iPAQ 3800 with an earlier number, but the check showed his device as NOT affected. I'm sure Ed will keep us posted on what gives!

Sanjay Srikonda
06-10-2002, 09:17 PM
I found out my original 3835 was one of the ones that fell into that serial #, doesn't mean that the second 3850 sent to me, nor the 3rd, nor even the 4th fixed the problem.

Latest I heard, Compaq/HP are going to/supposed to release a patch sometime in the near past.

Brad Adrian
06-10-2002, 09:19 PM
Interesting....

I definitely had backlight problems, but the site says it's not affected. Even more interesting is that the site obviously doesn't do a check for a valid serial number format. I couldn't tell if my device's number had an "S" or a "5" in it, so I tried it both ways. They both returned "not affected" results, although I would have expected at least one of them to be an invalid serial number.

Peter Parnes
06-10-2002, 09:21 PM
I have the backlight problem on three Ipaqs (1 3850 and 2 3870) and the Compaq serial check says that only the 385+ might be affected and not the 3870!!

Ed Hansberry
06-10-2002, 09:36 PM
I'd be inclined to ignore that checker. If your backlight doesn't power on when you turn the device on in a dark room, and you have it set to automatic, you are affected.

topps
06-10-2002, 10:00 PM
Yup, the serial number checker is a waste of time...I also have the problem and yet the checker says "Not affected".

There are some reasonable suggestions to be found if you do a Deja search on the newsgroups.

peeta
06-10-2002, 11:47 PM
I just got the box and I'm sending mine in tomorrow. Here's an e-mail that I got after calling in about my 3870:

...I am not too sure what you have been told as too what is causing the problem etc. The problem has to do with the inverter board on the iPAQ. Currently, I am awaiting final approval for a new revision of the inverter board for the iPAQ. It has passed all testing procedures with flying colors. As the way things stand currently the new board should be available this Friday...

That was 5/22. Overall I've been very impressed with the direct support from HP/Compaq...I just think that the information they release to the public should be a little better.

I hope I get it back soon, I've become quite dependent on it and I don't think I could go back to the Visor for too long.

Mashadar
06-12-2002, 11:12 PM
&lt;TROLL state=off>
Just though I'd pass this tidbit on, Called "The New HP" RE: Backlight issue, with in 12 mins, I was talking to a rep from the courier company, with a file number in hand. Other than telling them the S/N was all good.

I'll keep you all updated
(P.S. iPAQ 3850 )
&lt;TROLL state=on>

UPDATE
WOW...wow and once again WOW, Got back my baby today( yes I love it that much ), and the problem seems to be resolved. Shiped Thursday June 13, and recived Monday June 17.
3 working days!