View Full Version : The King is dead, long live the King

marlof
06-10-2002, 08:44 PM
<a href="http://loox.org/">http://loox.org/</a><br /><br />Jerome Neuveglise, owner of more websites than he possibly can remember, found some interesting info on the Brighthand boards where it shows <a href="http://www.mobem.com/products/mphone_bt/loox_bt_setup.htm">step-by-step mPhone settings</a> leak some Pocket Loox screenshots. On one of his sites, <a href="http://loox.org">Loox.org</a>, Jerome explains what these screenshots mean according to him. The Bluetooth manager in the Loox seems to be highly sophisticated!<br /><br />This kind of rumour spreading, enthusiasm and anticipation reminds me very much of the Compaq iPAQ around and after the original Pocket PC launch in April 2000. Many people were posting links to pictures, screenshots, accessories, etc., all of a device that wasn't even available. And just like now, people wondered if they would get the first of the new breed (then Jornada 540 and now Toshiba e740) or wait for other things to come. Of those other things, just like the iPAQ then, in my unscientific analysis the Loox seems to have captivated most people so far. I cannot recall any other newly announced device causing so much buzz in quite some time.<br /><br />But maybe I'm wrong. Although the market is very different now than it was then, with many more OEMs aiming to please us with their devices, there always seems to be a King according to many users. Of the devices announced until now, what's the device that will be your King?

Paragon
06-10-2002, 09:22 PM
I can't put it out of my mind that the 'King is dead" When you look at the devices that are announced so far and what they have in the way of features, compared to the 3900 Ipaq, it comes in dead last for internal features.

I have said this before but I will say it again. The Ipaq in it's present form will keep some of it's loyal customers who want to continue using their sleeves, but I don't think it is going to steel much marketshare from anyone. More likely it will loose some.

I think Jason posted a few days ago, now that HP owns the number 1&2 devices, the Ipaq and the Jornada, it holds 75% of the PPC market. With the 3900 coming out with competition like the Loox and the Toshibas I think those numbers will take a big slide.

My humble opinion. I know someone is likely going to come along and hit me over the head for it....but.

Dave

jpzr
06-10-2002, 09:55 PM
The Bluetooth manager in the Loox seems to be highly sophisticated!

Well, it depends to what you are comparing it: if you are comparing it to Socket Communications company product then everything else looks sophisticated. Try to compare it with iPAQ 3870 or Bluetooth expansion pack software from Compaq!

(only after seeing implementation of Bluetooth headset profile inside of PocketPC I myself will be impressed)

marlof
06-10-2002, 10:03 PM
jpzr: I compared it to both the Socket and the Compaq manager. If you think the Compaq manager is more sophisticated than what this Loox manager shows, I'm sure you're going to fill us in on the details of your remark. Amaze me!

Jne
06-10-2002, 10:04 PM
jpzr > are you kidding ? The iPAQ BT manager is just a mess to deal with ! I am sure you do not have any problems as being experienced with this stuff but imagine an "ordinary" user... How can he find his way in all these tabs / menus / options / ... !! Not to tell about the internal design : why connecting a BT chip to a 115.2 kbps and providing LAN Access profile ? Hopfully the XScale has a dedicated UART for BT (@ 920 kbps if I remember well) so I guess HP will not redo this ;)

jpzr
06-10-2002, 10:10 PM
jpzr > are you kidding ? The iPAQ BT manager is just a mess to deal with ! I am sure you do not have any problems as being experienced with this stuff but imagine an "ordinary" user...

well, I can compare only this what I have seen myself. by the way: it is still annoying that Palm OS developers have standard bluetooth api and can develop bluetooth applications while in PocketPC area no such thing - everybody delivers its own stack - total mess...

Jonathan1
06-10-2002, 11:01 PM
*sighs* Still no release date for the US. from what I understand the Loox is shipping end of July beginning August in Europe. So where the heck does that leave the US?!?! 2003??? 8O

I may still go for an iPaq if I have to wait that long. :cry:

-Jonathan

bbarker
06-11-2002, 12:28 AM
Although the market is very different now than it was then, with many more OEMs aiming to please us with their devices, there always seems to be a King according to many users. Of the devices announced until now, what's the device that will be your King?My King was assassinated on its way to the coronation ceremony: the Jornada 570 series. :cry:

Paragon
06-11-2002, 01:59 AM
In my first post I managed to say what I didn't want and plain forgot to say what I did want. Well it LooX like I might have to move to Europe to get what I want..... Loox, or the HP 928 if it's not dead, and if it makes it to Canada, fat chance :cry:

Dave