View Full Version : Microsoft smartphone ships to developers

Jason Dunn
06-06-2002, 03:00 AM
<a href="http://news.zdnet.co.uk/story/0,,t269-s2111386,00.html">http://news.zdnet.co.uk/story/0,,t269-s2111386,00.html</a><br /><br />A confirmation of what some of you already knew - the first SmartPhone 2002 device is shipping in limited quantities to developers.<br /><br />"The UK's Sendo is shipping the first developer versions of its long-awaited Z100 device, the first Windows-Powered Smartphone <br />Sendo has begun offering developers an early version of its Windows-Powered Smartphone 2002 handset, the Z100, as it prepares to launch the device this summer. Z100 is likely to be one of the first phones to use the Smartphone 2002 software. On Friday Sendo began taking orders for the Z100, although the devices will be available in limited quantities, and only to those whom Sendo judges to be legitimately creating developer applications. US developers will also have to ensure that the phone does not cause interference with nearby receiving televisions and radios, as the Z100 hasn't yet received Federal Communications Commission approval. Sendo expected to begin shipping the device to developers on Wednesday, following the UK's double bank holiday."

redraiduzz
06-06-2002, 06:41 AM
in reading the news about these releases, I've heard for some time about phone software that would be available for existing PDAs, such as iPAQs, Jornadas, Toshibas, etc., but the article in the new PocketPC Mag didn't touch on that, only the new stuff being released.

My question is: will the PPC2002 Phone or Smart Phone software be able to be integrated into the existing devices we have today, not to mention have sunk a blue fortune in already! :?

shilmover
06-06-2002, 07:15 AM
I came back from the PPC Summit with one of the "hard to find in North America" GPRS Expansion sleeves from Compaq... errr... HPAQ... errr... Hewlitt-PAQard... whatever... :twisted: This sleeve converts your iPAQ into a GPRS/GSM Phone.

Not all is lost.

B

redraiduzz
06-07-2002, 01:26 AM
thanks for the update! What do those run, incidentally?

Marc Zimmermann
06-07-2002, 03:27 PM
My question is: will the PPC2002 Phone or Smart Phone software be able to be integrated into the existing devices we have today, not to mention have sunk a blue fortune in already! :?

From all information that I have, Microsoft won't release Pocket PC 2002 Phone Edition for old, non-phone devices. The LOOX seems to be some strange exception in that it contains the new software but it will only activate when you add the optional snap-on radio module.