View Full Version : just bought e740 at Comp USA (re-posted)

andre
06-05-2002, 12:49 AM
http://ebay0.ipixmedia.com/abc/M28/_EBAY_7a41fc7492c6a2553d9a3b69e831572f/i-1_T.JPG

(first post)

for all doubters- i just purchased a toshiba e740 at the downtown compusa location in san francisco. apparently the toshiba rep was in the store this morning and dropped off what looked like a box of about 12 units.

I'm dying to open the thing, but the version I bought has integrated WI-FI, and I really feel like I would prefer bluetooth to use with my Ericsson t68i...I didnt look too closely at the unit, and I presumed it had bluetooth.

Unfortunately, the standard battery looks absolutely puny as well, which does not bode well for the integrated WI-FI model, and I have to say the screen looks exactly like the 310's which I have heard is a bit washed out. This is only from speculation, as the second I open mine, I get hit with the dreaded CompUSA restocking fee...My plan is to look for the bluetooth model and then swap or exchange it.

Also, the rumours that you've heard regarding accessories and a VGA out adapter are true, they are shown on the box, along with an extended battery which clips onto the entire back face of the 740...if I have the time later, maybe I'll post a picture of the back of the box.

(second post) just got off the phone with the Comp USA store downtown San Francisco.

read my earlier post re: this, but the semi bad news for me is out of the 19 units that came in today, they were all of the 802.11 persuasion.

The guy I spoke to, who like all comp-usa employees is certainly not the sharpest knife in the block, seemed to think that they would only be stocking the one version of the e740, the one with WI-FI onboard, which kinda sucks for me because I'm really thinking I would prefer the Bluetooth model.

Ah well, I could hold onto it for a few days and see if the other version hits the channels, or I suppose I could hit E-Bay and see what I could fetch for this one.

A quick search of on-line also reveals that none of the models appear to have hit inventory yet, but I'm willing to bet tommorow or the day after they show up...I can't imagine Comp USA is that ahead of the pack.

Can anyone point me to the Amazon link? Does anyone recall what version they were selling?

If you guys take up a collection, I'll open this sucker up and run it through the paces- LOL, all I need is 15% of 600 bucks to break even...

JohnnyFlash
06-05-2002, 07:30 PM
How come shoptoshiba does not know anything about the e740 availabilty at CompUSA

dreampages
06-05-2002, 11:57 PM
CompUSA only has the e310 according to them. Toshiba says no e740's have been shipped. They also said they have yet to even "announce" the product.

Ingram Micro began taking orders from resellers today. They have no estimated due date posted yet. Tech Data hasn't listed them on their site yet.

We placed our order with Ingram Micro today.

Larry

andre
06-06-2002, 12:10 AM
mines listed on ebay- and my friend went and purchased the last three units, just search on toshiba e740 on ebay, there should be two listed...

as far as shoptoshiba.com, the fact that they dont know anything isnt shocking, they're probably the last to know, people within toshiba have no view of distributed inventory or order information- Toshiba US is like a shack in New Jersey somewhere running on fax machines and phone orders.

I think the rep who dropped the box off at CompUSA screwed up somehow, but of 20 units that were there are now gone (my friend bought the last three...)

Anyways, I just want the bluetooth version, which is why I stuck mine up on EBay...

FYI, I bought an HP 568 a week before their official release at the Fry's in San Jose...

Anyone who wants to see more pictures check out the E Bay listing...

JohnnyFlash
06-06-2002, 01:15 AM
I just bought my e740 from CompUSA :D

dreampages
06-06-2002, 03:45 AM
What is the manufacturer part number on the ones you got from CompUSA?

Larry

andre
06-06-2002, 04:26 AM
the toshiba number just above the barcode is
PA3170U-3P05

then there is another serial number above a smaller bar code which is

52013223L

hope those help...

let me know if you locate any with bluetooth...

JohnnyFlash
06-08-2002, 07:18 PM
I have a 802.11B netgear.

I can access the inernet all right and can access all the sites but when it comes to any site requiring username/password , once I enter the username and password and try to sign in i get the I get the dreaded "The page you are looking for cannot be accessed". I have tried hotmail, MSN .NET , YAhoo mail , myYahoo but same for all of them

I have cookies enabled allright. This is my first pocket pc so I dont know what other options I need to set to be able to login into these websites. Also I am using the standard server instead of secure server sign in these sites so the issue of 128 Bit encryption is also moot.

For all other sites it works perfectly fine.

I can access MSN messenger all right. I can login and send and recieve messages etc. So I guess it is somethign to do with pocket explorer.

Please help.

I am using WEP Key on my wireless AP. :cry:

JohnnyFlash
07-03-2002, 10:11 AM
The guy I spoke to, who like all comp-usa employees is certainly not the sharpest knife in the block

Obviously you didnt think before you spoke. When you said "who like all comp-usa employees" you must have been refering to the one person who answered your question wrong. Guess what? Most people think, cause we wear a red shirt, means we are geniuses or somthing. Dont get me wrong, i spend 95 percent of my time learning, enjoying, and appreciating the computer and its lifestyle to help lazy, question hungry ungratefull litte asses like you who come into our store, and ask us the most ignorant questions we have ever heard, only for you to get mad, and stomp out cause we didnt "bend over for you" for free. So next time, if you want the right answer, get a second opinion: another employee maybe, or better yet, try bestbuy, or circuit city, or fry's electronics. Im sure their "certified" techs will be glad to assist you. So that when they fry your computer, cause they stuck a stick of ram in backwards, you can come to us, and pay us even more to fix your product.

Do you know why compusa is head of the pack? when you said "I can't imagine Comp USA is that ahead of the pack", i thought to myself, wow. Doesnt he realize there are people like you, who dont check the box, or understand somthing before they leave, Ask to open the box, (cause if you are a good boy, we might just do it) and "get hit with the dreaded CompUSA restocking fee" That ,and we fix computers btw, most other retail chains, sends them to halfway across the country, and then gets them back in a cute little box.. three to four weeks later )

So basiclly andre, what im trying to say is this: when we try to help you with what we know, and get somthing mixed up, remember, we all didnt come from M.I.T. Im sure you did though , right?

Oh yeah, little customer appreciation for you :) and thanks again, for shopping with us, here at CompUsa ;)

http://www.penny-arcade.com/view.php3?date=2000-09-20&res=l

JohnnyFlash
07-03-2002, 10:18 AM
my momma dun tole meeeee..... huh huh huh

JohnnyFlash
07-03-2002, 10:21 AM
Definatly the employee who got you the wrong product andre, sorry, wont happen again, speaking ot my Manager about that one

JohnnyFlash
07-03-2002, 10:22 AM
CompUSA rips off the kids !!!!

JohnnyFlash
07-03-2002, 10:24 AM
Sorry sir, thats cause we wouldnt exchange your product, 3 months after you bought it, and the smashed it on the ground. Next time , try a replacement plan. You know, those cover screen damage :) Thank you have a good day.