View Full Version : Toshiba e740 Details

drew2778
05-31-2002, 01:46 PM
http://www.bargainpda.com/default.asp?newsID=747

Article with a lot of information about e740 here

The rumors that I’m hearing indicate that Toshiba’s production line began cranking at full speed last week.The delayed arrival of the XScale powered PDA’s has brought up much speculation as of late. We’ve heard of production problems with Intel, but I’m hearing those have been solved and now the hang-up surrounds the Microsoft OS. The word is that their PPC OS was not properly optimizes for XScale, leading to significant performance issues. Microsoft has since made a few changes, but testing is not going well and benchmark numbers barely push past the older StrongArm’s. Microsoft is supposed to be working up a fix and this could be what is delaying HP and others from release. HP may be scared to release their new co-branded line, if they think failure in adoption has even the most remote chance of becoming reality. Apparently Toshiba has worked their magic to overcome most of these issues and a service pack from Micro may take care of the rest. The point here is that all PPC’s will be on a level playing field.

Here is a compilation of the major rumored specs of the device. Don’t hold us to these details:

The device comes with an expansion pack that clips onto the bottom of the device. The pack is the same width and depth of the 740 and holds on nicely. What does it do? Well, I hear it has USB and VGA output support. The VGA out is huge. Software coupled with the program could allow for presentations and slide shows like Margi’s products. The pack slides into place, rather than using pins or other docking methods.
The USB port will support a standard keyboard, printer, camera, or whatever products drivers can be created for. Currently PPC doesn’t support a cursor, so a mouse might work, but you won’t be able to see it.
Type 2 CF slot
Options include a larger battery pack, SD Bluetooth card, digital camera and more.
Multimedia – support for MPEG files on the screen and the AC97 audio codec.