View Full Version : The ULTIMATE PDA is here!!!!!!!!!

jake
05-29-2002, 04:19 AM
I went from my iPaq to a Handpring Treo. All I can say is that the Treo blows away the the PPC!!! The only challenge that the original Treo had was a lack of color screen and backlit keyboard. Well, that changed today as Handspring realesed the TREO 270. I included pictures for your review:

If you are inerested in learning more about my experience you can go here and read:

http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=77

Bond
05-29-2002, 04:31 AM
What experience did you have? It seems like you just went to their site. Have you used the product? I am actually very impressed with the new Treo, and have considered, well, not upgrading, not really downgrading... **grading** my iPaq to one.

However, I really don't think I could go back to using a Palm device ;)

If your "experience" proved more than reading Handspring's pitching about its own product, please expand, I'm interested to hear :)

jake
05-29-2002, 04:41 AM
Bond,

I bought a 180 the day they came out. I was worried about it not being as good as my ipaq but I did not want to carry my ipaq and nokia cell phone around with me. After having worked with the Treo for months all I can say is that it completely blows away the ipaq.

I have not recieved my color Treo 270 yet but I understand it uses a screen very similar to the color Palm 130 which is amazing!!

If you want to read about my entire experience about going from the ipaq to the Treo please go to:

http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=77

Bond
05-29-2002, 05:06 AM
Actually, upon seeing your post, I had a rememberance of reading your post. So, in the time between when I posted this and when you responded, I refreshed myself with it :wink:

Reading my post again, I see I was a little cynical (probably due to your excessive use of the exclamation point). I have been very impressed with what Handpsring has done, but, then again, I still think the iPaq is amazing.

I completely agree with your accessment of the SmartPhone, which causes me to gag when I see prototypes and their beliefs on user use habits. I used to use the Palm platform, but I have been drawn to the Pocket PC platform by the promise of easier integration with desktop software (I have had very few ActiveSync problems, actually), higher screen resolution, expandability, and portable music. In the time I used a Palm, I had problems keeping a sync with Outlook, and finding decent applications to write papers on the go.

I have been finding myself more and more drawn back to the Palm platform. After spending a few hours cleaning the crap left behind by applications with poorly educated developers, I remembered how easy to use my Palm was. Unfortunately, I was torn back again by the draw of the voice recording, pocket word, and digital audio.

I've been able to upgrade my iPaq 3635 to a 3765 and now to a 3835 all on my Best Buy Service plan. If I finally make up my mind to return to Palm, I'm sure my iPaq could have a "defect" that happened to coincide with the launch of the 270. :P

I would love any suggestions you have on replacements for Word, eBooks, or easy integration with Outlook.

jake
05-29-2002, 05:20 AM
With Word I don't use have a use for editing or viewing Word document so I don't know what the best application is. I do know that there are some that are very good.

Regarding ebooks I use Teal Doc which is superb.

As far as integration with Outlook, the Treo ships with Chapura which has been flawless.

I don't know if any of the challenges that you had with syncing with outlook were OS related, but in my opinion Windows XP is a must. XP is much, much better than anything that came before.

As I mentioned, before I think my 180 completely blows away the ipaq I had. When I had my ipaq, I spent what seemed like forever figiting with it.

I think that if you go back to the Palm, you will actually have a newfound appreciation for the power of its simplicity.

Bond
05-29-2002, 05:32 AM
I don't know if any of the challenges that you had with syncing with outlook were OS related, but in my opinion Windows XP is a must. XP is much, much better than anything that came before.
Luckily, when I picked up my first PPC device, I had already recieved Whistler Beta 1, and installed it the system I synced with, so I really wouldn't know ;)

As I mentioned, before I think my 180 completely blows away the ipaq I had. When I had my ipaq, I spent what seemed like forever figiting with it.
Honestly, I am just thinking that, after all the fighting to get those special things PPC can do to work, it really wasn't work it: how much do I use the device for that?

I'm finding myself torn between the Treo and the iPaq. After I demo one of the new Treo devices, I'll see how it ends up :o
Actually, I was wondering if anyone knew why Handspring is calling the Treo 90 an organizer while putting it in the communicators category becaues of it's design, and why they made it? I don't see a big demand for it, but whatever floats people's boats.